He didn't believe the sign…

http://good****.phlap.net/archives/hydrant.jpg

MarkC
08-10-2004, 03:33 AM
:D :cool:

Wild Wassa
08-10-2004, 04:12 AM
:D , it looks like a 90mm.

They also used breakin tools, he won't even be able to claim insurance or damages, :D . The Captain would have put a notice on his car as well. A very expensive day.

Warren.

[ 08-10-2004, 05:22 AM: Message edited by: Wild Wassa ]

imported_Daniel
08-10-2004, 05:31 AM
I love it! :D

Mike DeHart
08-10-2004, 05:09 PM
Wild Wassa:
"They also used breakin tools, he won't even be able to claim insurance or damages, . "

I don't think so. I see a small pile of "diamonds" on the ground below the left rear door. :D

Victor
08-10-2004, 05:12 PM
They could've draped the hose over the hood. Guess they were making a point.

gary porter
08-10-2004, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by Mike DeHart:
Wild Wassa:
"They also used breakin tools, he won't even be able to claim insurance or damages, . "

I don't think so. I see a small pile of "diamonds" on the ground below the left rear door. :D The small diamonds are from probably a small spring loaded punch that medics carry or for a fireman just a tap with a bar or whatever will turn the side glass from any auto into this.
Bet he or she won't do that again.
Gary

High C
08-10-2004, 05:39 PM
I betcha the fireman that did it will end up paying for the damage.

Wild Wassa
08-10-2004, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by Mike DeHart:
"I don't think so."

I just meant to smash the windows with, I didn't mean to rip a flipp'n door off and I was wishfully thinking as I spent time jumping up on appliances. A crow bar is a breakin tool it doesn't have to be a marlin spike, a sledge hammer, an axe or the clever tools used by the motorist association's mechanics. I doubt whether they would have hit the windows with their hose fittings ... or they might have?

I really guess the Firefighters would have just used a hose spanner to smash the glass.

Victor, the hose could have crimped even more if they went around the car or over the top or under, you can see there is a slight crimp already behind the car. When the hoses are charged they are somewhat rigid.

The Firefighters would have been a bit dark when they found this car.

I can remember when our Brigade ran over a Camilia bush to gain access to a blaze in a shed behind a house. The shed was saved but the Camilia bush wasn't. The bush was accidentally run over in the dark. This caused a bit of drama. The trouble was the owner of the house viewed the shed as replacable, the bush wasn't as it was planted in memory of his dead wife. It was a real drama for the Brigade as the bush wasn't illegally planted.

Warren.

[ 08-10-2004, 08:03 PM: Message edited by: Wild Wassa ]

gary porter
08-10-2004, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by High C:
I betcha the fireman that did it will end up paying for the damage.I'll take that bet... :D
and raise you one.
The owner will not only have to fix his or her car but will pay a fine for parking there.
Gary.. smile.gif

High C
08-10-2004, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by gary porter:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by High C:
I betcha the fireman that did it will end up paying for the damage.I'll take that bet... :D
and raise you one.
The owner will not only have to fix his or her car but will pay a fine for parking there.
Gary.. smile.gif </font>[/QUOTE]Oh the car owner will pay a fine, allright, and he should. But if he has a decent lawyer, and guys who drive Beemers usually do, he oughtta be able to sue for those damages. It was clearly not necessary, and could easily be demonstrated that the routing of the hose through his car took more time than would've simply working around it.

That said, I still chuckle.... :D

ken mcclure
08-10-2004, 07:46 PM
The damage to the paint and possible (if not probable) dents on the trunk lid would cost more than the two windows.

It was the humane thing to do.

;)

alteran
08-10-2004, 08:14 PM
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by gary porter:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by High C:
and raise you one.
Gary.. smile.gif </font>[/QUOTE]Oh the car owner will pay a fine, allright, and he should. But if he has a decent lawyer, and guys who drive Beemers usually do, he oughtta be able to sue for those damages. It was clearly not necessary, and could easily be demonstrated that the routing of the hose through his car took more time than would've simply working around it.

That said, I still chuckle.... :D </font>[/QUOTE]As a long time fireman I can tell you that you are DEAD WRONG. In most places he will have a VERY hard time suing successfully.

First he is illegally parked.

Second go into a court room and tell the judge that the fireman should have taken the time to go around an illegally parked car while responding to a fire. This is a 4", possibly 5" line. They don't curl around a car like your 5/8" garden hose.

You get them as straight to a hydrant as you can and when they are charged with water you don't want sharp bends to restrict water flow and they are damned hard to move when under pressure.

In our state the incident commander can do almost anything he needs to to respond to the emergency at hand. Up to and including shoving this car to the side with a fire engine if that is what it takes to take care of the problem.

If I were in command at this fire [and I might have been if this was in our service area] I would have looked at the scene and said, "Do I need water? If so do I need it right now?"

If yes to both questions I would tell my men to do whatever they needed to do to get water as fast as they could from that hydrant.

I would NOT want to tell the people in the burning building to wait until we could somehow get around this car with a 4" line.

If you were in the building what would you want us to do?

Cops are listened to in court.
Firefighters even more so.

Don't park by a hydrant.......... smile.gif

htom
08-10-2004, 08:35 PM
This is one of those cases where you very quietly pay the fine, by mail if possible, and be grateful both that they smashed the windows rather than sawing through the roof pillars or roof, and that you haven't been arrested for any number of "interferring" crimes.

alteran
08-10-2004, 08:48 PM
htom, Ron Meshbesher could not have given better advice........ smile.gif

[RM is one of THE lawyers where htom comes from.]

High C
08-10-2004, 08:48 PM
Sorry Al, I don't buy it. It took more time to go through that car than to go over it. The guy who did this was a hot head, and he was wrong to do it.

George Roberts
08-10-2004, 09:08 PM
Since we don't know the facts of the matter, it is difficult to say much.

It could be the fire hose is being used to fill a swimming pool.

alteran
08-10-2004, 09:15 PM
Sorry Al, I don't buy it. It took more time to go through that car than to go over it. The guy who did this was a hot head, and he was wrong to do it.OK, here you go. A friendly wager. You come here and I will find a junky old car to use as a prop.
I'll train you in handling a 4" line.

I'll give you a few times to practice before the test.
Then we do the real [simulated] thing.

If you can do it as fast passing the line over the car with the same water flow as passing it through the windows I'll give $1000 to the Wisconsin Burn Camp [http://www.wafs.org/BCamp2.html] A wonderful place for children that are the victims of fire.

If you fail the test you give the $1000 to them.
Care to try? smile.gif

Al.

High C
08-10-2004, 10:11 PM
Help me Capt. Jake!

OK Al, I defer to your professional experience. But I'd have to see it to believe it. ;)

[ 08-10-2004, 11:13 PM: Message edited by: High C ]

alteran
08-10-2004, 10:26 PM
Help me Capt. Jake!

OK Al, I defer to your professional experience. But I'd have to see it to believe it. ;) No need to defer, lets just do it and see.
The money goes for a great cause and we will have fun. Lets go!

Al.

cs
08-11-2004, 06:38 AM
I'm going to agree with al here. Looking at how close the hydrant is to the car and its location in releation to the rear window, I'm not to sure it would have passed over the trunk lid.

Course I ain't no fireman and I think it serves the Bemmer right.

Hey, does anyone know what the difference between a Bemmer and a porcupine is?

A porcupine has the pricks on the outside. :D

Chad

Steve McMahon
08-11-2004, 07:24 AM
I agree with what al says - If you are dumb enough to park in a fire zone, and the bell goes off you are S.O.L.! Ditto to it not being a garden hose, off the top of my head it takes about a 20'-30' radius to bend a 4" hose 90 degrees.

I don't know about the US, but in Canada you would be throwing good money after bad to try to sue, especially if it was a volunteer department.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid134/pf6a0fbc344a0ec31c68da0720d2894a9/f777948a.jpg

Mrleft8
08-11-2004, 07:36 AM
Anyone dunb enough to try to sue a fire dept. for breaking the window of an illegally parked car deserves what they get. This guy should be glad that all that was damaged was his windows. If the 4" hose had been laid over the top of the car, the resulting damage to the roof would be a lot more than the cost of window glass.
I was a firefighter for 5 years, and never once had to punch out a car's window to get to a hydrant. Then again, there weren't any hydrants in that part of Vermont.... OR that many cars, come to think of it.... I wonder if it's reasonable to run a hose over the top of a Holstein if it's grazing by the fire pond.... :D

NormMessinger
08-11-2004, 09:16 AM
Any idea where the first picture was taken?

ion barnes
08-11-2004, 11:26 AM
Hey, doesnt anyone remember the begining of 'Backdraft'? Where they do the hose through to the window routine?

gary porter
08-11-2004, 11:43 AM
One thing you might consider here which Ken already hit on is that replacing a window or two is cheap in comparrison to body damage. The 4" line is very heavy when they turn on the water and very very stiff. It would probably smashed or damaged the top of the BMW. I agree that the guy should quietly take his car and go home.
Gary... smile.gif

John C. Gresham
08-11-2004, 11:47 AM
Where'd Hi C go?

High C
08-11-2004, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by John C. Gresham:
Where'd Hi C go?Who? redface.gif

Steve McMahon
08-11-2004, 02:46 PM
A funny thing - I was reading this thread at 10:30 this morning and my pager went off :eek:
Nothing like a good barn / garage fire 20 miles up the mountain on a 30degC day with high winds.
We didn't come across any Beemers that we needed to run hoses through the windows of though. ;)
A reminder to people - Please don't store propane bottles in your garages :mad: This one today hade 6 propane bottles, big oxy and acetelene tanks, and a couple of air compressors with 10 gallon tanks. We had a few of the propane bottles go off, but managed to keep the oxygen and acetelene tanks cool until we got it knocked down. We would have backed off but it was too close to the woods and a house.

Stiletto
08-11-2004, 05:44 PM
Do your propane bottles have a lead plug that melts out in a fire? It can be spectacular when they vent.

alteran
08-11-2004, 05:48 PM
Good stop Steve. Sounds like one that will be talked about in the firehouse for a while.

I have a few cool pictures of LP tank fires. Will try to post them later.

Wild Wassa
08-11-2004, 06:07 PM
Stiletto, rural fire fighters practice what is called a gas attack on a regular basis, quenching the heat from the bottle, it takes a lot of concentration and the crew must be well drilled. A gas attacks uses a monstrous amount of water to quench the heat and protect the bottle.

Rural fire fighters are at a real risk from exploding gas bottles. Around here every homestead has a large bottle or two attached to the side of the house. It is one of the first things assessed by the crew leader.

Warren.

[ 08-11-2004, 07:08 PM: Message edited by: Wild Wassa ]

Donn
08-12-2004, 11:30 AM
Weird. The pics were visible when they first went up, and now they aren't.

Matt J.
08-12-2004, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by cs:

A porcupine has the pricks on the outside. :D

ChadAww, Chad, if Jenny reads this, she's going to get her feelings hurt. ;)

If they did that to my car/truck/whatever, I'd just be glad when they removed the hose and no one was looking so I could sneak quietly out of there... and quietly pay the fine and fix the windows.

Steve McMahon
08-12-2004, 01:57 PM
OK, I'll try this with imagestation:

Main knockdown, I'm on the far left:
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid134/p501e57e29212a8dc86183a0d84d96a0b/f7745a22.jpg

An interior shot:
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid134/p76d772014fef5aa9a5fff7f4fee535ba/f7745a0c.jpg

Some of the tanks we took out:
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid134/p781fad7ee9e53c2869014fb8d3ed8f39/f7745a14.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid134/pb8f3d5c2f5b1ccba58ab1bd6e6ef3f48/f7745a05.jpg

Our 4000 Gallon Tanker:
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid134/pcda890e5974d8f91b283dc8aa87ecd17/f7745a19.jpg

The attached greenhouse, up in smoke ;)
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid134/pb6beb81087555c2015470fa761868c12/f7745a09.jpg

gary porter
08-12-2004, 03:09 PM
Hey , is that that same BMW?? :D
I think I see a planer in the shed there...not too good looking right now. Perhaps this guy was a happy woodworker considering the greenhouse.
:eek:
Gary

Donn
08-12-2004, 03:25 PM
The attached greenhouse, up in smoke
I thought Canadians used hydroponics exclusively now. ;)

gary porter
08-12-2004, 03:30 PM
Nova Scotia Donn, sorta like the Alaskans of Canada..... :D