01-25-2003, 09:09 AM
I don't care about your spelling, grammar, or punctuation, but:

"YOU ARE" IS SPELLED "YOU'RE" !!!

"THEY ARE" IS SPELLED "THEY'RE" !!!

SHEESH!!! :mad:

[ 01-25-2003, 12:04 PM: Message edited by: Buster ]

ken mcclure
01-25-2003, 09:15 AM
Your kidding, right? Their getting it all wrong?

Rocky
01-25-2003, 09:18 AM
Your right!

Rich VanValkenburg
01-25-2003, 09:20 AM
I've heard it as "yur" and "thar".

Mr. Know It All
01-25-2003, 09:30 AM
This has been covered before Buster. Some people just don't give a sh.....care. :D
My father was a college English professor but I still spell like crap. We have a wide range of educations here but I'm learning to tolerate just about everyone to learn a little more about wooden boats. Everyone has something to offer no matter how illiterate they may sound. Street smarts and experience can be just as important as a college education in my book.
Peace----> Kevin in Ohio

Joe (SoCal)
01-25-2003, 09:40 AM
Who cares for God sake were sailors not spellers. If someone can read a sentence and can't decipher Your from "YOU'RE" ya need to get a life. This is an informal forum with diverse educational and socioeconomic backgrounds. If you want to hold people up to a perfect grammatical syntax YOU ARE going to scare people off. This whole spelling and grammar thread comes up every so often. Just give it a rest, I would much rather read Dingo, Gunnar or even myself with our imperfections, than some perfect grammatical post. Remember its not a spelling bee its the freaking Woodenboat (one word) forum.
Rant ended

Rocky
01-25-2003, 09:46 AM
Just talkin about them 2 wurds.

[ 01-25-2003, 10:49 AM: Message edited by: Buster ]

ken mcclure
01-25-2003, 09:59 AM
Buster, I would agree with that in a more formal setting - such as a business communication.

What needs to be considered is that many here are not touch typists so the word spelled in the mind is not the same one spelled at the fingertips.

A second consideration is that many people do not use written communications in their day-to-day life, and were never really trained to write. As such many write as they speak - but not as they think.

Relax, man! The only grades passed out here are based upon what is said - not how. smile.gif

Peter Malcolm Jardine
01-25-2003, 10:11 AM
I love you guys :rolleyes: :D

Tim.Diebert
01-25-2003, 11:29 AM
Buster, I would agree with that in a more formal setting - such as a business communication.

What needs to be considered is that many here are not touch typists so the word spelled in the mind is not the same one spelled at the fingertips.

A second consideration is that many people do not use written communications in their day-to-day life, and were never really trained to write. As such many write as they speak - but not as they think.

Very well spoken. I had never considered this before.
Tim

Wild Dingo
01-25-2003, 11:45 AM
You mean its okay fer me ta come back and yarn a bit wif yous fellas?? :eek:

This ere "Henglish" lingo is a right royal pain in bum I can tell yer for a fack!... their theyre there flamin whatever!! :mad: Never was able to unnerstan that stuff if its wrote and the writer wrote it from the head or heart its done writed bestest he writ then damn it its done wrote right!... eeerr sorta?... maybe??

Yous do flamin well realize just what flamin agony I's jest put meself through doncha??!!!... HUH??? :rolleyes: ...I mean flamin stone the crows! This little black duck tried for so many days to get this damnflaminmongrel gramma stuff and sintacks ****e right and man!! and stuck to the seriass stuff just to make a flamin good attempt and to see ifn I could does it... But by the time id writ a half a flamin sentence I was buggared hence not much said by moi for awhile!! :(

Now I realize some here reckon I yabber on a bit... and others reckon Im just downright flamin annoyin but ****e I aint never done pleased everybody! aint gonna either... So... thank the gawds that damn self imposed exile is over!! :cool:

Now I took a long wile to writ that so hos me spellin and stuff goin??? gettinbeddaorwhatmates?? :D

J. Dillon
01-25-2003, 11:52 AM
Not that long ago this Forum HAD A SPELL CHECKER. The members here expressed they didn't want it, :( so Scot put it to rest.

I for one would like to have it reinstalled. :D

I agree with the above, this Forum isn't a spelling contest, it's the content. But sometimes it's easier to understand one another if words are spelled with a resemblance of intent. There was some incident in history where the lack of a period or some punctuation mark in a note cost thousands of lives in a battle. :(

IMHO there should be the opportuninty to elect to use a spell checker if one was made available again. smile.gif ;)

JD

Joe (SoCal)
01-25-2003, 12:05 PM
I for one have never had a problem understanding Dingo, and would take 10 of his posts over ANY perfect spelling post.

Allen Foote
01-25-2003, 12:48 PM
Buster....up the meds...your loosing sight of the real values.

ken mcclure
01-25-2003, 02:34 PM
Shane, you know you're always welcome!

The only trouble is that whenever I read your posts, I have to run for my Australian-English dictionary!! :eek:

Greg H
01-25-2003, 03:23 PM
Cheeyit, Even if I could spell, not all the keys on my keyboard work all the time.

Rocky
01-25-2003, 05:59 PM
Ignorance and carelessness are not the same thing.................ummmmmmmm, need more meds............mumble........sloppy sentence, sloppy boat............mumble...............

bob goeckel
01-25-2003, 08:02 PM
hey buster, wait a durn minute! ain't "you are" spelt "you are" and ain't "they are" spelt "they are"? i though "you're" was spelt "you're and "they're" was spelt "they're" NOW I'M ALL CONFUSED. when did the spelling of these words change? course i had to repeat high scooooool so's i'm no judge of spellin. :eek:

JimD
01-25-2003, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by Joe ( Cold Spring on Hudson ):
...were sailors not spellers..Ya, but gee, Joe, one guy I narrowly avoided ramming last summer told me maybe I should stick to spelling

JimD
01-25-2003, 08:10 PM
oh, and by the way, that's 'we're' sailors, not 'were' sailors :D
jimd

bob goeckel
01-25-2003, 08:16 PM
i don't know jim, some of us we're sailors before we became spell checkers! :D