PDA

View Full Version : it's been awhile since we talked about iran

LeeG
10-20-2003, 04:35 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/3148398.stm

what da ya think? In this book about Zorastrianism that I read the battle between good and evil is strong in pre-Islamic faith, as is the right of a people to overthrow an unjust ruler. In the next round of presidential elections does anyone think we might have a problem with a Powell/Armitage leaving and a pres. who frames our foreign policy with Iran as part of an axis of evil or will some kind of pragmatism and sense of limits develop out of the Iraq war?
Anyone have any thoughts on Irans next move? If they say "screw you, we need a bomb, this place is nuts" will the US populace say "sure, let's do a surgical strike",,or will we say "oh heck, NK is there and nothing's happened, besides we're still kind of busy in those two countries on either side of Iran"

Meerkat
10-20-2003, 05:00 AM
It's been reported that Israel is interested in dropping Iran a little nuclear love note.

Andrew Craig-Bennett
10-20-2003, 05:25 AM
British public opinion is further away from US public opinion on Iran than it is or ever was on Iraq.

Iran has not done us much harm, and vice versa. We don't have the recent history of the embassy siege or the Vincennes incident to poison relations between us (go a bit further back and sure enough we toppled Mossadeq with a little help from our friends, but that is no longer really living memory for most people).

Nor do we have the close alignment with Israel that makes "Hamas = Iran" so apparent to Americans.

Conversely, we are perhaps closer to Dubai, which sees Iran as its major trading partner.

Getting back to basics, we don't have the forces available to do anything about Iran, and neither, short of the draft, do you.

LeeG
10-20-2003, 05:37 AM
Andrew,,I wonder if there is a cogent us. public opinion when most folks over here are still unclear where Yugoslavia is. From my reading of Iran there is a memory of the Shah, I remember iranian students in the US. took over from the domestic anti-war protests in the early 70's. Is the request by the IAEA for Iran to provide proof of nonproliferation by the end of this month first of a few "lines in the sand"?

Andrew Craig-Bennett
10-20-2003, 06:25 AM
Just my reading of the waters, but I wonder if the obstacle to Iranian compliance with the IAEA is a very simple matter of the structure of Iranian politics, where we seem to have a theocratic government structure existing alongside a representative democracy, with power shared uneasily between them.

The problem might simply be that neither group has the confidence to "surrender soverignty" to the extent that an IAEA inspection would require.

In which case some form of face saving device should be possible.

Jim M
10-20-2003, 12:36 PM
In which case some form of face saving device should be possible.
There you go again, trying to avoid war. ;)

Meerkat
10-20-2003, 12:45 PM
We don't even have the forces to go after Syria, a much easier nut to crack. At this point, it remains to be seen if Iraq stays cracked as well.