PDA

View Full Version : Power TV

Rocky
02-24-2003, 07:22 PM
Now that I finally admitted I'm hibernating for the winter like a bum - er, I mean bear - I have a recommendation for those who like their TV: forget TIVO, get two hifi VCRs. Program VCR1 to record programs at low speed - easy with a little practice - then at your convenience pull out the tape and watch it on VCR2 while VCR1 records something else. No more ads! No more crap! (except YOUR crap, of course) No more wondering what Captain Kirk just said! I couldn't watch TV at all if I had to sit through all those ads, and most of the better stations (History, Discovery, A&E) repeat their programming after midnight. There's enough quality stuff (barely) to get one or two hours a night of something worth watching, and you can watch it in 20% less time. Cut your cable or satellite bill way down by getting rid of the premium channels and making an occasional trip to the video store - most of the movies on Showtime and HBO are out on video next month anyway.

VCR1 must be on a nonswitched outlet. Run the three RCA connectors from the box to VCR 1 and from there to VCR2. From there the audio goes to the receiver and a coax goes to the TV (no stereo on coax, but for video it's just as good as the RCA line). You'd be surprised how good the audio is on some of these shows. This configuration will work with any coax TV and lets you record tapes. To watch live TV both decks must be on, of course, otherwise you only use VCR2.

This is not as obvious as it seems - a bit of trial and error is involved. VCR2 is permanently set to Line 1. By the way, according to AOL-Time Warner, watching TV this way makes you a thief.

[ 02-26-2003, 08:56 AM: Message edited by: Rocky ]

ishmael
02-24-2003, 07:28 PM
You need to get out and smell the clams a little more. TV! Good Christ, ya don't watch that ****e, do ya? :D

Rocky
02-24-2003, 07:37 PM
That was the original plan. Last winter I was working and boating in February. Just sayin IF yer gonna watch ya might as well take some control over it.

Knight Rider is about as low as I get - pretty low, admittedly. My car the fag.

[ 02-24-2003, 08:33 PM: Message edited by: Rocky ]

Jim H
02-24-2003, 07:42 PM
Jack, there are occasional diamonds scattered in the dung. I watched Norah Jones sing "Don't know why" last night on the Grammy's. Bruce Springsteen, Elvis Costello & Steve Van Zandt's tribute to the Clash - "London Calling". Too bad I had to watch the Grammy's for three hours to see it. I think I'll go shopping for another VCR.

Jim

Rocky
02-28-2003, 08:14 AM
10 am Saturday morning, not much on the forum, guess I'll get a cup of coffee and go watch the race... :D

[ 02-28-2003, 08:25 AM: Message edited by: Rocky ]