PDA

View Full Version : Locating A Ceiling Fixture

Victor
11-21-2004, 07:51 PM
From 24 feet below the ceiling. Thinking a .22 short might work best.

brad9798
11-22-2004, 09:08 AM
:confused:

Can't you see it??

cs
11-22-2004, 09:13 AM
I'm confussed here. Are you trying to locate the spot for a ceiling fixture from the floor and have 24' from floor to ceiling?

Two ways I can think of. One would be to get one of those new levels that shots a laser. They have them now that will shot a dot straight up.

Another way would be to locate the spot on the floor and than use a ladder and a plumb bob to locate the spot up high.

Chad

Victor
11-22-2004, 07:56 PM
The light would look pretty stupid off-center. A bullet hole would pinpoint the mounting point from above. Maybe lay some heavy lumber down. Hey, it's my house. Tell the truth I can't think of any other way. Can't put a stepladder there.

My grandfather once cleaned a chimney with a shotgun.

[ 11-22-2004, 08:19 PM: Message edited by: Victor ]

Phillip Allen
11-22-2004, 08:27 PM
Use the plumb bob idea...just need a string and wieght because if you're off by an inch or so you won't be able to tell...further, a string and bolt should get you within a half inch or maybe three quarters. It ain't rocket science. You could just have someone shine a flashlight on the spot.

Ron Williamson
11-22-2004, 08:58 PM
How do you plan to hang the fixture?
R

cs
11-22-2004, 09:02 PM
I would assume that you will have to get scaffolding to hang the light since you can't get a step ladder up there. Once up there you can use the laser or the plumb bob.

Chad

David Tabor (sailordave)
11-22-2004, 09:03 PM
True Story: years ago a guy that worked where I do now was running cable up to the antenna on the roof. Came up from downstairs into a closet and wanted to put a hole up through the roof. Needed a hole just about the size of a .45 Well that's what the hole looked like inside. The roof on the other hand had quite a hole in it. And he couldn't hear for a few days!!

Ask me about the guy that took care of a buddies dog while they were on vacation... as in "took care of"!

John Bell
11-22-2004, 09:52 PM
I'd need to prop a laser pointer or a flashlight shining on the spot I wanted the hole. Then, I'd lie on the floor and use a long gun (no pistols) and aim at lit spot. Otherwise, I'd know I'd wind up having more than one hole with the 22 short trying to get it into the right spot.

Will a short go all the way through? Might as well use 22LR just to be sure.

I like your thinking Victor. :D

Phillip Allen
11-22-2004, 11:28 PM
If you use that .22 you might get a ldak in the roof...borrow a pellet gun if ya just gotta do it...AND WEAR GOGGLES!

Did I say to wear goggles?

Phillip Allen
11-22-2004, 11:29 PM
If you use that .22 you might get a leak in the roof...borrow a pellet gun if ya just gotta do it...AND WEAR GOGGLES!

Did I say to wear goggles?

Phillip Allen
11-22-2004, 11:31 PM
Hmmm...guess that'll get the point across smile.gif

Paul Scheuer
11-22-2004, 11:35 PM
Even if you're dead center on the floor, who's to say that the walls are vertical, square, etc.

I'd go for two laser lines to the corners of the ceiling. Then rig a long extension for a small drill bit, and put a small hole at the intersection. Im assuming that one you get the location, you're going to hoist the lamp up to the hole and mount it from above.

I've got a collection of aluminum tubes (old tent poles) that would do it. I've seen chimney sweep tools in the hardware store that would get to 20 ft.

True bullet story. One of the kids in the neighborhood had a single shot 22. Just as a test, we were 12 or so, we thought we'd pop one into the garage wall. Who'd notice ? There was one pop, followed by a series of flop, flop, flops, as a full set of window screens in the garage, fell over. Each one neatly pierced.