PDA

View Full Version : Here's a sweet looking and sounding dogus

Jack Heinlen
10-31-2004, 09:10 PM
Freya. 2 1/2, Sheltie mix, tied almost her whole life on a short rope. :mad: People who would tie a dog outside all the time ought to live that way for week.

She's said to be remarkably well adjusted, considering. Very friendly and very smart.

http://www.thearkpets.org/images/dog-Freya.jpg

[ 10-31-2004, 09:13 PM: Message edited by: Jack Heinlen ]

Peter Malcolm Jardine
10-31-2004, 11:26 PM
bright, pretty, face Jack...

Jack Heinlen
10-31-2004, 11:32 PM
Ross,

Where'd your post go?

The shelter isn't open tomorrow, but if things come together Tues. I may go and meet her. She does, as Ross said, have a good look to her--in her eyes.

Looking around the web, reading the various stories of doggies, it's amazing what they put up with in human foible and cruelty. Why have a companion dog and tie it outside for most of the time? Proper kenneling, with exercise, of some breeds is a different matter, but tying an animal like this to a short rope? :( :mad:

The search for the right dog continues. smile.gif

Ross M
10-31-2004, 11:44 PM
I felt the need to rework it, and was embarrassed by the need to rework such a short post.

I think this is a beautiful creature. I think there is something about her eyes that is different from the previous candidates, and that difference is everything - to me.

I have a good feeling about this one, however ridiculous that may seem under the circumstances.

Ross

Stiletto
11-01-2004, 02:57 AM
This could be the one, Jack. She looks smart and has a nice smile.

Andrew Craig-Bennett
11-01-2004, 04:06 AM
I think that is a good dog.

Domesticated_Mr. Know It All
11-01-2004, 06:00 AM
Dogs that smile are the best ones Jack. smile.gif

George.
11-01-2004, 06:10 AM
She looks like a great dog, Jack. Eager-to-please and smart expression.

Tied up on a short rope... :( :mad:

N. Scheuer
11-01-2004, 06:45 AM
Coincidentally, a family across the street(teenage kids now) keeps a Sheltie tied to their front door knob on a short leash. The dog has a palcid disposition when free, but of course is overweight from lack of exercise.

We always speak to her on our walks. Our own dog was so fast and so free he wore his hips out prematurely a couple of years ago.

sad, Moby Nick

Jack Heinlen
11-01-2004, 04:43 PM
Thanks for the replies. She does look like a good'un. It's odd how you can read a lot from a dog's face and eyes, but I think you can.

I e-mailed the director of the shelter last night and haven't heard back. I'll call tomorrow, and we'll see. Pretty girl, with a look like she and I could be good friends. The Shelties I've known have been very charming, smart dogs, and homebodies, which would be good. We'll see. Great face, great grin, sweet eyes. It would be fine to have a dog around again. smile.gif

Meerkat
11-01-2004, 04:46 PM
For all the time you've spent looking, perhaps there's another breed you should consider: they're called "women", and there are considerable additional benefits over a "dogus" - unless you're far more abnormal than most of us think you are! ;)

BrianW
11-01-2004, 05:30 PM
Best of luck to ya!

The family and I are also searching for a new dog. It's not easy, after being spoiled for 12 years with our recently deceased dog. :(

N. Scheuer
11-01-2004, 06:39 PM
OK you've convinced me. I guess we should look for a Sheltie. A mix would be fine, too.

Too many of the dogs I like the looks of are too "high energy" to exist with Gayle and me satisfactorily. Breeds like Australian Sheep Dogs, various hounds, and retrievers just wouln't work.

The little breeds are though of as "drop-kick" dogs here; so they're out.

Jock, our recent departed, was a German Shepard/Beagle mix; short-legged like a Beagle, and about the same size, but colored like a Shep, with a thicker trunk than a Beagle. He could leap four feet straight up to catch a tennis ball in his teeth. Jock lived with Gayle nine years, but only two with me on the scene.

He sure liked to ride around town on Saturday in my pickup!

I need a dog, but it's gotta be a decent "boat dog". Skiperkies are great on boats, bred for Belgian canal boats, but WAY too high-energy for us.

Moby Nick

seafox
11-01-2004, 09:17 PM
I have had three dogs since adult hoodthe first was a dog that got to big for my best friends land lord and so I got her after my first wife left me she was a life saver. she also got a lttle overweight after getting fixed and would lay in the small of my back a living heating pad.
the next dog was from a litter my boss had from his working collie with a fast visiter proable a lab but the dog looks like his working collie mom and he does ok on staying where I ask him to and then their is my wifes dog a chow beagle mix. she bought her from a pet store in a mall and I have never heard how much she cost and that is just as well this second wife left and left her with me and I am glad

good luck jack

ps meerkat I am looking for a new wife but I don't know if I am smart enough to use yahoo personals
jeff

Jack Heinlen
11-01-2004, 11:38 PM
So, how do you finish housebreaking a 2 1/2 year old dog? smile.gif

I got an e-mail tonight from Lorna, the shelter director. I think I'm probably going to meet Freya in the next day or two.

Just joking about the housebreaking. If I get a good sense in person, we'll be able to work out the little problems. She is part husky, which worries me a little as I want a homebody. But, it's hard to say until I try with her which of her instincts will win out.

And Meer, are you kidding? A sweet dog is a babe magnet. ;)

Matt J.
11-02-2004, 10:17 AM
Jack, giver her a home. Just go bring her home. Seriously. Stop thinkin' and start sharin'. I saw a pup this morning along Route 50 (major E-W highway around here)... I went back to offer him my lunch in exchange for letting me get close enough to bring him home, but he was gone. He looked just like Freya, but a tad bigger. Too many dogs w/o decent homes or at least homes.

Go bring her home.

Peter Malcolm Jardine
11-02-2004, 11:41 AM
Jack... get the dog. Stop thinking, and start doing... you won't hurt yourself. You KNOW you need/want/love a dog..... and being the long time bachelor I am (was :D ) I wouldn't even consider life without a dog. I'm actually somewhat amazed you have gone this long. ;)

MJC
11-02-2004, 12:17 PM
If you get her, she will love you.

Ross M
11-02-2004, 01:01 PM
Wife says this is a good 'un - and she does not like dogs much.

The universally positive reactions to this dog means something. I am with Matt J - the time for action has arrived.

Easy for me to say , eh? :D

Best wishes

Ross

Matt J.
11-03-2004, 01:35 PM
So how is Freya settling into her new home?

I remember when we went to get Summer. They thought we were going to interview her for the position. We brought her home that day and she's been the most amazing girl... No interview required, bring her home, show her love, teach her what she needs, live.

uncas
11-03-2004, 02:01 PM
Jack...
How many people do you need to tell you to go get the dog...If one more helps...
GO GET THE DOG :D
I had two dogs in 25 years...One great blonde Golden from England. I had to be interviewed 7 times before I was allowed to buy him and a stray right off the Texas back roads.
Both dogs were great..great companions, great friends,etc.
When I grow old..whenever that will be...or have to buy a boat with a broader and less steep companionway, I will get another.BUT, I was and have been lucky to have had two in a row :D

Jack Heinlen
11-03-2004, 06:33 PM
I met Freya today. I was ready to adopt right then and there. What a sweet, sweet beatiful little dog. About thirty five pounds with a Sheltie's markings and a coat somewhat like a Husky. She's already got a few commands down because the shelter has a trainer come and work the dogs a few times a week. Very demure with treats, and very affectionate. But, another family is scheduled for a visit Friday, and Lorna wants to meet them before she decides what would be best for Freya.

Great dog, great shelter, but no doggie for Jack tonight. It's in the hands of the fates now. Keep your fingers crossed. smile.gif

Ross M
11-03-2004, 07:05 PM
Will do

Ross

Victor
11-03-2004, 07:08 PM
Jeezus, Jack, you're spending more time interviewing pets than most people do finding a wife! You're gonna have a string of disappointments with this mo, because he who hesitates is lost. Just go to the shelter, sit down in the middle of the floor and let your next dog come to you! He or she may or may not have any resemblance to Sheba. (I should talk - every one of my dogs has been a black Lab.)

I almost committed a dognapping the other day. Stopped to buy some eggs at an unattended roadside stand. I was standing there trying to interact with two pigs when this adorable little border collie came up, put her paw on my leg, and looked into my eyes. First time I ever considered stealing someone else's dog.

These pigs are kept in by a piece of clothesline strung about kneehigh (to them). Is that all it takes to keep a pig in? They could have stepped over it! I figured it must be electrified or something, but it wasn't.