PDA

View Full Version : On-line dating...

uncas
01-27-2006, 09:18 AM
OKAY fess up....
I know one who did and it actually worked out....
Anyone been there...tried it...?

Garrett Lowell
01-27-2006, 09:25 AM
Nope. Did mine the old-fashioned way.

Ian McColgin
01-27-2006, 09:25 AM
Much to my surprise, my sister and her husband met that way. Never thought a sister of mine would do such a thing. A dozen years later are still dong fine. So, I dismiss my prejudices against on-line or classified or whatever brings two people to know each other.

signed

metrosexual mid-50's pleasingly plump philosoopher/poet/troublemaker/sailor not looking just now anyway but thank you.

G'luck

huisjen
01-27-2006, 09:29 AM
I'm still married, but I have peered at this site:

www.farmersonly.com (http://www.farmersonly.com)

Dan

cedar savage
01-27-2006, 09:31 AM
All those ads for eharmony.com are true.

SWMBO counted all the personality type questions and, IIRC, came up with 400 odd. The people you meet are compatible with you to a very high degree.

I was married for 30 years to the wrong woman and can't believe the difference it makes to be truly compatible with someone.

'Course then there's them patological liars and you can never tell about those people you meet online.

Bruce Hooke
01-27-2006, 09:37 AM
I've never tried it but I know someone who is trying it now. From the sounds of it, a key thing you need to be good at is filtering out the people who are too messed up inside to be a good mate and the people who are desperate and looking for anyone. You'll likely run into a lot more of these types than you will the type of person you really want to meet so being able to "filter" well is essential.

uncas
01-27-2006, 09:39 AM
I'm more curious than anything else...I married a boat....
Cedar raised the question....
Uusually, I glance at the classifieds and all I want to do is chuckle....

Domesticated_Mr. Know It All
01-27-2006, 09:41 AM
I know a couple that met online, got married and divorced. :rolleyes:
Can't be worse than meeting her in a bar eh? :D
I say "go for it", Uncas. ;)

uncas
01-27-2006, 09:43 AM
Still think...if I was in the market...I'd go the old fashioned route...

cedar savage
01-27-2006, 09:48 AM
Well, Jamie, I met and dated a die hard sailing woman who wanted to retire to the liveaboard lifestyle on another "dating" site. Nutty as a can of Planter's, batty as a tropical cave, fruity as an orchard.

She's probably still out there and getting really close to retirement.

uncas
01-27-2006, 09:49 AM
Ouch!!!!!!! :eek:

Tar Devil
01-27-2006, 09:53 AM
The produce section or meat department at the grocery store is the best place to meet someone.

uncas
01-27-2006, 09:54 AM
Phil...you have never been to my grocery store...and I use that term loosely....
There is nothing there..including produce and except for candidates for welfare... :rolleyes:
The store is the saddest excuse for a grocery store I have ever seen...and over time...it keeps getting worse...if that is possible.

[ 01-27-2006, 09:56 AM: Message edited by: uncas ]

cedar savage
01-27-2006, 09:57 AM
If I had to do it over again, I'd hang out at Victoria's Secret.

uncas
01-27-2006, 09:58 AM
I guess one can do that on-line....

Domesticated_Mr. Know It All
01-27-2006, 10:11 AM
If I was looking to meet the perfect mate, the first places I'd look ,would be the beach and the hardware store. ;) :D

huisjen
01-27-2006, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by uncas:
Still think...if I was in the market...I'd go the old fashioned route...Arranged marriage and a bride price of ten cattle?

Dan

Peter Malcolm Jardine
01-27-2006, 11:34 AM
I dated a few women online a few years back... nice people all of them. The real problem was they didn't live where I did.... and you end up with a life in the place you live, friends, houses, jobs, etc...

Bottom line: It's hard to maintain a long distance relationship, and it's a big deal to move.

On line dating is just another place to meet people... it seems new to us, but ten years from now, it will be something that was always around.

Wild Dingo
01-27-2006, 11:52 AM
Always sorta wondered about it myself but if I did look Id have to do it in secret or possumpoop would kill me! :eek:

No even as a single fella I never saw the need for it... I mean thats what pubs are for isnt it? meetin sheilas? and the beach thats where you get to see what your buyin before yer pay the piper!... shyness would be a major hurdle I guess if one was shy which I aint but if one was it would be a problem... well actually I am shy and quiet retirin sorta bloke but thats neither here nor there really cause I aint lookin anyways

Actually Ive had more "come ye hither to the boudiwah" looks from good lookin sheilas since Ive been married than I ever did when I was single! Seems that little gold band or maybe its the I dont care aura that does it but seems sheilas are allured by somethin maybe its the been married for donkeys years = no risk factor that does it? who knows but the offers have been there since Ive been with her highness... mmmm but then Ive always been one to smile an chat the sheilas up I just cant help myself!! I see a good lookin sort and Ive just gotta go say gidday smile wink check her statistics out... gets me into more than my fair share of messups that does specially when the boyfriend hubby sygnificant other suddenly shows up! :eek:

Nah Jamie mate just be yourself ol mate dont fret or worry about gettin a bit.. eerr a sheila... just enjoy their company most sheilas will let you know when they want a bit... eeer are interested!

I mean can you seriously believe those pictures? I mean it looks to me as though EVERY good lookin model type is lonely... well if memory serves most of them were the loneliest since everyone is too damned worried scared in awe of them to ask them out for a bit of the ol rub an tickle... eerr tucker an a movie ;)

Katherine
01-27-2006, 12:19 PM
My younger sister and her husband met this way. As I recall, they both hung out in the same online NASCAR forum and just started bantering back and forth. :rolleyes:

Dolly Varden
01-27-2006, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by Tar Devil:
The produce section or meat department at the grocery store is the best place to meet someone.check for lonely hotties by the cucumber table and the kelbasa section, eh phil?

Dutch

Popeye
01-27-2006, 12:29 PM
try the fruit stand, Dolly

Popeye
01-27-2006, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by cedar savage:
If I had to do it over again, I'd hang out at Victoria's Secret.i wouldn't hang out too much

Dolly Varden
01-27-2006, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by popeye:
try the fruit stand, Dollybeen there and done that. but thats another story

Dutch

Katherine
01-27-2006, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by cedar savage:
If I had to do it over again, I'd hang out at Victoria's Secret.I can't stand Victoria's Seret. Lately their stores seem hung up on this awful shade of pink. Just so you guys know, if you're a guy who's in there without a woman with him, the rest of the women in the store are wondering if you're some kind of pervert.

Popeye
01-27-2006, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by Katherine:
Just so you guys know, if you're a guy who's in there without a woman with him, the rest of the women in the store are wondering if you're some kind of pervert.then , how in the heck are we supposed to 'secretly' shop for lingeree for the girlfiend ??

Katherine
01-27-2006, 12:46 PM
Oh you can go in there and shop, but until you prove otherwise, all the women think you're a perv. tongue.gif

Popeye
01-27-2006, 12:52 PM
so, i guess holding up an outfit in the mirror to check for size would be wrong

Katherine
01-27-2006, 12:55 PM
so, i guess holding up an outfit in the mirror to check for size would be wrongProbably, unless it's your color.

Memphis Mike
01-27-2006, 01:01 PM
I used to go to Victoria's Secret at least once a year, usually at Christmas to shop. All the women in there were always very helpful and didn't act like you are saying.

I'll go again and I don't really care what they think. :rolleyes:

Rick Clark
01-27-2006, 01:12 PM
I was thinking about finding a sailing female mate not to get married too just more of a companion to just sail and spend time gunk-holing around.

She would have to be real thin as the berth is small in width, 6 feet and under in height, pleasing to look at. One that does not like to fight, and just laid back. OK there it is, age, able to handle the boat solo....so I can sleep. smile.gif

[ 01-27-2006, 01:23 PM: Message edited by: Rick Clark ]

uncas
01-27-2006, 02:17 PM
Dolly Varden
Member # 8468

posted 01-27-2006 12:32 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

been there and done that. but thats another story

Dutch

probably found a lemon...

Meerkat
01-27-2006, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by Katherine:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by cedar savage:
If I had to do it over again, I'd hang out at Victoria's Secret.I can't stand Victoria's Seret. Lately their stores seem hung up on this awful shade of pink. Just so you guys know, if you're a guy who's in there without a woman with him, the rest of the women in the store are wondering if you're some kind of pervert.</font>[/QUOTE]Even if you hang a price tag off your fly? :D

Meerkat
01-27-2006, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by uncas:
Dolly Varden
Member # 8468

posted 01-27-2006 12:32 PM

quote:

been there and done that. but thats another story

Dutch

probably found a lemon...Or 2 hairy coconuts and a green banana. ;)

uncas
01-27-2006, 02:22 PM
might be better than a fig leaf....

Meerkat
01-27-2006, 02:22 PM
Or the figs! :D

Meerkat
01-27-2006, 02:23 PM
Best not to date outside one's area code.

DAMHIKT! ;)

uncas
01-27-2006, 02:23 PM
Or 2 hairy coconuts

a fish with coconuts.... :eek: