PDA

View Full Version : It's snowing like a bastard...

ishmael
02-02-2003, 11:01 PM
here tonight.

I re-post these few words just because, and in case you missed them.

Who writes these kinds of words today: "upon the Bog of Allen."???

The narrator is musing on life and death after a Dublin Christmas party. He's truly spoken with his wife, for the first time in a long while, and she's revealed a story of girlish love and passion, and tragedy, and then, drifted to sleep.

"A few light taps upon the pane made him turn to the window. It had begun to snow again. He watched sleepily the flakes, silver and dark, falling obliquely against the lamplight. The time had come for him to set out on his journey westward. Yes, the newspapers were right: snow was general all over Ireland. It was falling on every part of the dark central plain, on the treeless hills, falling softly upon the Bog of Allen and, farther westward, softly falling into the dark mutinous Shannon waves. It was falling, too, upon every part of the lonely churchyard on the hill where Michael Furey lay buried. It lay thickly drifted on the crooked crosses and headstones, on the spears of the little gate, on the barren thorns. His soul swooned slowly as he heard the snow falling faintly through the universe and faintly falling, like the descent of their last end, upon all the living and the dead."

James Joyce The Dead

brian.cunningham
02-02-2003, 11:39 PM
Tell me about it.
I was all set to work on SWIFTWOOD,
but I threw my back out shoveling! :mad: :mad:

Wild Dingo
02-02-2003, 11:40 PM
Jack mate your startin to worry me!! why all this talk of death? :( ... Its perfekly sunny and warm outside just go have a gander mate luverly sun blue skies and well... just perfek :cool: ... ooohhh ****e thats right! your in the midst of your winter aintcha?!! sorry bout that! :cool:

Start thinkin happy thoughts mate yer gots yer new house!!! think of all the great things yer can do now yerve got yer own pad!! a big ol shed to build boats in :cool: and there must be a barbie around somewhere? so have a barbie!! in yer shorts and singlet!! HA!! then Joe wont feel such a goose on his own havin a barbie in the snow! :D

Wild Wassa
02-03-2003, 02:37 AM
Jack, more poetry than prose, from Joyce. I suppose the Irish really relate, and the Bostonians (a very Irish town?) so I've read, they probably relate to him.

I would like to experience a snowbound winter, for one season. I hear you Northerners lamenting the cold, in the same way we talk about our fires. It sounds totally surrealistic to me, both.

Dingo's more jealous than me, I can tell.

Dingo I've seen snow 101, :D , but Jeff (Scuthorpe) he has actually skied on it.

Warren.

Meerkat
02-03-2003, 04:33 AM
Wassa, you should come here to experience snow in a civlized manner. It rarely snows or even freezes down in Seattle alongside Puget Sound, but you can drive 30-45 minutes to the east and get your fill of it. Then, it's back down the hill for smoked salmon pate' and a nice California Chardoney ;)

That last ought to arouse a few regressives ;)

Mrleft8
02-03-2003, 08:29 AM
How exactly does a "bastard" snow...? :D

Chris Coose
02-03-2003, 08:43 AM
Mrleft,

"Snowing like a bastard" is an excellent example of Bangor prose.

It is akin to many downeast expressions such as

Numnber ena pounded thumb.
Meaner ena bag full of bobcats.
Uglier ena stump.
Deffer ena hake.
Darker ena pocket.
He runs around like a fart in a mitten.
Homlier ena bag of quarters.
Colder ena well diggers ass.
Cuter ena bug's ear

Take it away my dialectic Maine brothers.

Edit to give credit.
These are not Marshall Dodge's, the carpet bagger from Conn.
These gems were delivered by Robert Graves, plumber extrordinary of Northest Harbor. With whom I worked for 15 years.

[ 02-03-2003, 09:25 AM: Message edited by: Chris Coose ]

ishmael
02-03-2003, 08:56 AM
Chris,

That's a pretty good list. Can't come up with many more, but I'm "from away." ;)

Shane,

It's my brooding German and Scot blood. Not to worry. I've gotten used to it.

LeeG
02-03-2003, 09:08 AM
Jack, that's great,,sound being layed down by heavy snow falling, not silence but the muffling of sound, always falling.
Shane, my daughter has put australia up as a screen saver now, the escape from adulthood will occur in Australia they say, no more grownups, they're going to open a bakery and only invite their friends.

Joe (SoCal)
02-03-2003, 09:22 AM
Snow Sucks I'm DONE WITH IT BRING ON SPRING :D

Alan D. Hyde
02-03-2003, 09:24 AM
Muckle hold a them words, Jack, and make 'em work.

Alan

Mrleft8
02-03-2003, 11:31 AM
Dry as a popcorn fart.
Hot as aunt Lucy onna friday night.
Wet as a waterlogged duck.
slow as mollasses in January.
Faster than uncle Henry, on his way to the outhouse Sunday morning.
Dumb as a stick.
Nervous as a long tailed cat, inna room full of rockers...

Wild Wassa
02-03-2003, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by Meerkat:
Wassa, you should come here to experience snow in a civlized manner. Meerkat, I live near the Northern end of the Australian Alps (what's left of them after the fires), snow is only 19ks away during winter, I just haven't gotten around to it. Normally in winter, I'd get away to warmer clim'es or go bush walking down at the coast (down to sea level). This year I didn't, I stayed to work on the dinghies and froze. I'd like to build an igloo or a snow cave, that would be my purpose for going to the snow.

I have a friend Peter Arians, who designed a snow saw, which I think in being used by most armies around the world that have a snow capability. He is a cross country skier he loves(?) it. He also spent two tours of duty in Antarctica, as head of the Australian Station. He goes into the snowfields by himself for weeks at a time (we call it the Back Country). He only eats cheese sandwiches, when he goes away, :eek: , ... I said to him, what happens when they get stale? "I toast them, then they are even better". I think the thought of eating cheese sandwiches for a couple of weeks was too much for me. This is how I relate to snow.

Warren.

ps, How do you get Polaroids? ... from sitting on icecaps.

[ 02-03-2003, 08:48 PM: Message edited by: Wild Wassa ]

Meerkat
02-03-2003, 08:05 PM
Wassa; Personally, I think Hawaii is the best place for snow - there you are, surrounded by palm trees, sandy beaches and sparkling tropical water. And there too, high above you and miles away, is Mona Loa with her snow - far, far away where it should be! :D