PDA

View Full Version : IT STARTS WITHIN THE NEXT FORTY EIGHT HOURS

ishmael
03-17-2003, 09:43 AM
Whadya think? I think if we're gonna do this thing, now is the time. It can't hang fire any longer.

[ 03-17-2003, 09:44 AM: Message edited by: ishmael ]

LeeG
03-17-2003, 09:48 AM
excited?

ishmael
03-17-2003, 09:51 AM
Afraid, and not ashamed.

LeeG
03-17-2003, 10:00 AM
I'm resigned,,it's interesting to read magazines and periodicals from 5-10yrs ago on Iraq and the middle east. anywho it'll probably be in another week to allow for no moon when the troops go in the following weeks.

km gresham
03-17-2003, 10:01 AM
read this morning that it took weeks for the inspectors to get into place in Iraq and it will take less than 48 hours to get out. President Bush is supposed to address the nation this afternoon and this morning the inspectors were instructed to leave Iraq. War within 2 days for certain. shooting war over in 2 weeks. IMHO.

NormMessinger
03-17-2003, 10:04 AM
Life is a comedy for those who think and a tragedy for those who feel.

ishmael
03-17-2003, 10:15 AM
shooting war over in 2 weeks. I surely hope and pray you are right about that.

I hate it when the world is rolling dice, but I guess it's always, one way or another.

LeeG
03-17-2003, 10:27 AM
km,,if the citizen/gun owners in Baghdad all agree that the shooting is over.

km gresham
03-17-2003, 10:59 AM
Don't know Lee - I understand they're leaving in droves - 20 to 30 thousand estimated so far. Doubt there are too many Iraqis who feel any loyalty to a tyrant. We'll see I guess.

George Roberts
03-17-2003, 11:03 AM
You want to start the war now so you fight in the cities at the new moon.

WFK
03-17-2003, 11:07 AM
12 years, 17 resolutions,.....It's not like the guy hasn't had his chance, and the only reason he's cooperating as little as he is, is because there's 250,000 troops stareing him right in the face. Lets just get this done.

John Bell
03-17-2003, 11:40 AM
I agree it's going to start soon.

Anyone else flying this week? It's going to fun NOT! at the airport when this gets going...

But that's a small concern considering the risks folks like Chad are taking.

LeeG
03-17-2003, 11:48 AM
km,,what I read is that those that can afford to leave will do so,,those that can't are sending women and children. 30,000 out of 3million isn't a drop but it's something. My sense is that looting is probably the greatest worry as the power in place gets attacked. Thinking of the Rodney King riots in LA as a local example of pissed off locals.

Rich VanValkenburg
03-17-2003, 01:15 PM
All we have to do is capture, or kill, one man. And it's over. I don't believe his cabinet would step up to support his legacy. Pray that it will be that easy, it's better for all concerned. And watch your backs here at home.

Rich

km gresham
03-17-2003, 01:24 PM
you're right Lee - looting is a concern. Read where the merchants are moving their stuff to warehouses. I know this will be hard on the people there, but from what I've been reading from all over the place the Iraqi people want Saddam gone more than anyone. They've been opressed and tortured for years. They are ready to be liberated.

km gresham
03-17-2003, 01:31 PM
Lee, did you also read where some Iraqi soldiers surrendered to British soldiers who were conducting exercises last week? They had to be turned back because the war hadn't started. Those are warriors who are far more terrified of their "leader" than they are of the enemy. I remember in Gulf War I these poor guys were surrendering to CNN, unmanned drones and the red cross. I don't expect much more of a fight this time either, but the mission of this war is a change in regime - not just the liberation of Kuwait. Godspeed to our fighting men.

Bill Perkins
03-17-2003, 01:59 PM
Health organizations have for years produced sobering estimates of the rise in child and infant mortality since sanctions have been imposed .The Iraqi health care system has gone from 1st World to 3rd World . The lifting of these sanctions is one Good the invasion seems likely to accomplish , saving the lives of the same number of children , every year ( tho some will be killed in the invasion and its aftermath it's true ).

Containment can't accomplish this . Saddam holds his whole people hostage , doing harm to them in an effort to get sanctions lifted ( he could purchase food and medicines at any time under the terms of the sanctions ). Why would this behavior have changed if we'd chosen to avoid confrontation ? We couldn't provide air cover for the people in the North and South of the country indefinitely either , and he'd likely have massacred them if we withdrew . The existing situation isn't stable and isn't peace .

Scott Rosen
03-17-2003, 02:00 PM
Do you ever wonder how the military pulls it all together? Here's a great quote from MSNBC:

“We kill people and break things, that’s what Marines do,” said 1st Sgt. Gonzalo “Butch” Vasquez. “What logisticians do is support the guys who kill people and break things.”

Kind of sums it all up.

Meerkat
03-17-2003, 02:14 PM
20-30,000 Iraqis left a city of 4.5 million? WOW, victory is assured for sure! (Not meaning to dis anyone here or the troops, just pointing up the absurdity.)

I've often wondered why it takes 8+ guys to support each guy at the pointy end...?

LeeG
03-17-2003, 02:23 PM
Scott, that's a good article on MSNBC,, the line I liked was ,," “It’s a bit sexier to have your picture taken next to a tank; what’s not so sexy is having your picture taken next to a tank when it’s broken down,” Brig.-Gen. Edward Usher, in charge of logistics for over 50,000 troops in the 1st Marine Expeditionary Force, told reporters.

LeeG
03-17-2003, 02:26 PM
meerkay,,because it reduces the odds of being in front of the pointy end? there's more to life than the pointy end? I give up,,why?