PDA

View Full Version : The Sign and the Seal

Jack Heinlen
02-15-2004, 11:58 PM
This is a very interesting book. It attempts, with great humility, to trace the fate of the Hebrew Ark of the Covenant. Graham Hancock.

All who are interested in matters of First Temple Judaism, and any who like a very good read about religious movement and temper will like this book. He's really good. He's not strict, he follows intuitions, and I think he's on to something. I've got a hundred pages to go, and I figure he didn't find the Ark, but he makes a compelling argument that it's in Ethiopia.

I'm sure the scholars have been on him like chickens on a june bug, but read the book anyway.

Roger Stouff
02-16-2004, 09:48 AM
Read it a couple of times. Hancock makes a convincing case, until he starts messing around with the Atlantis theory. He kinda went off the deep end there, IMHO. Still, he did convince me that there is a strong possibility the Ark is in Ethiopia.

EDIT: You might also be interested in "The Tomb of God", Jack.

[ 02-16-2004, 09:48 AM: Message edited by: Roger Stouff ]

Jack Heinlen
02-16-2004, 10:07 AM
Hancock makes a convincing case, until he starts messing around with the Atlantis theory. Yes, and that's a very small part of his research. He does speculate a bit furiously for a chapter. One can sense him holding back his own prejudice, that there was a high culture that was destroyed, and which fed Sumer, Egypt, and the entire Near East--perhaps the entire world. Wouldn't they have traveled in ships? They were just like us. Wouldn't you?

I always come back to the Anthropology. It is an enigma in the current theory that we were simple hunter gatherers for a hundred thousand years, and suddenly these high cultures arise. Fascinating speculation. I have to believe, without provenance, that people have been up to much more than is accepted as writ.

I like his rigorous yet humble style.

I don't know, no one does, but I think his questions are very worthy.

Jack

P.S. Another thing that hits me like a club is the lack of boundary during the time he's researching. There were no nation states, a later invention. People moved, as they were able, through all regions.

Thanks for the book rec. I'll look for it.

[ 02-16-2004, 10:12 AM: Message edited by: Jack Heinlen ]

huisjen
02-16-2004, 10:22 AM
Right now I'm working through "The Secret History of the Bible". (I'm just up to the conquest of cannan.) Most of what I've read so far deals with the origins of Judism in semitic fertility cults, and how there are two main threads in the early old testament, one from (northern) Israel and one from (southern) Judea. They were combined after the Babylonians conquered Israel and refugees came south to Judea, bringing their sacred texts with them. The combination is rarely smooth.

Lots of fascinating stuff though. Eve may have been Yahweh's wife, rather than Adam's, Yahweh is afraid humans might become rivals (expulsion from the garden, babel), plus Human sacrifice (Abel, Isaac), Snake worship (Moses puts a bronze snake on a staff, among others). This is all put in historical, archeological contexts, as well as comparisons to the mythologies of the region.

Dan