PDA

View Full Version : It's Friday night and I gotta work tomorrow

Phillip Allen
06-03-2005, 06:25 PM
looks like 45-54 hour weeks and it's at least semi-athletic and I'm old and fat...

Summer's a-commin, pay-check's gettin fat
pleasin to an ole man who wears a hard hat

JimD
06-03-2005, 07:01 PM
Crikey, Phillip! Your work week sounds like my work week! :eek: :D It's gonna be a looong summer and not much time for boating :(

Phillip Allen
06-03-2005, 07:06 PM
the grass is a foot tall and I'm just too worn out when I get home

JimD
06-03-2005, 07:23 PM
I'm just glad my wife doesn't mind taking care of the yard. I'm with an organization that caters to tourists and the season is upon us. That alarm clock sure goes off early, don't it? :D

Peter Malcolm Jardine
06-03-2005, 10:43 PM
I'm exhausted. I haven't had a day off since before May 1st. I had a dream last night about a talking cow that kept saying "Thank you" and handing me cigarettes. It was in the back seat of my truck. :eek: :rolleyes:

The boat gets painted on Sunday... the enclosure is up and the sanding and prep work done.. just needs to get wiped down. blah blah blah

Hey Philip... the work you do is haaaaaaaaaaard work man... be careful. ;)

bamamick
06-04-2005, 01:33 AM
Yeah, summer work does get on your nerves. As the summer goes on you can just feel the tension building and building. Day after day of 90+ temps and 90% humidity can get to you.

I haven't worked that much overtime this year, been averaging about 48 hours per week, but my guys have been putting in 60-70 hour weeks. Sooner or later when people work like that in our climate someone is going to go off. Heck, I've done it myself more than once.

I guess that it's all part of being part of this modern, super-productive work force that we have around here, and then being told that it's not good enough and that we have to do more.

I have great sympathy for all of humanity just trying to make their way in the world today. When I let myself every now and then I can get pretty down about it. But then I usually just push it out of my mind. I am too busy to stay down for long.

Mickey Lake

Hughman
06-04-2005, 04:47 AM
When old people are asked what they regret the most in their lives, very few of them say they wished they had worked more.

Phillip Allen
06-04-2005, 07:17 AM
Well...yesterday it happened:
I looked around from my work (up on a five foot scaffold working on crossing a door with eight inch blocks) in time to see a fork lift driver skim through a finished door and missing the top by less than two inches. He then picked up an empty mud tub and that raised the mast of the lift about four inches…ain’t gonna fit going back. I hollered to stop which he did. Another bricklayer then turned and told him to “go on, you’ll be alright”. I yelled to make myself heard over the engine noise and attempted to make the driver understand that the mast had telescoped to high but the second brick layer would shout “go ahead” every time I tried to talk to the driver, drowning me out…this happened three or for times and degraded into a shouting match in which I got so mad that I finished up and went home.
I t is very dangerous to have more than one man shouting instructions at a heavy equipment operator…this needs no emphasis. I am not the acting foreman on this job (most of the time) but I fired the man as a dangerous non-asset. Unfortunately my boss hasn’t backed me up and I suppose he is un-fired. As a consequent, I spent last night rolling in the bed from about eleven o’clock when I woke up until past three o’clock…(think I ought to have his parole violated?...that’d get him off the site)

(it ain't like I need any advice from the forum...I just need to gripe)

[ 06-04-2005, 08:19 AM: Message edited by: Phillip Allen ]

Peter Malcolm Jardine
06-04-2005, 08:05 PM
I t is very dangerous to have more than one man shouting instructions at a heavy equipment operatorEspecially when one of them is very stupid. ;)
Don't lose sleep over morons Philip, you'd never get another wink in your life. :D