PDA

View Full Version : Mojitos

Figment
04-10-2003, 09:45 AM
no, not mosquitos, Mojitos! (kinda like a mint julep, but with rum)

I'm pecking around for the right recipe. There's a restaurant here in town that REALLY has it down cold, and I just can't seem to replicate it at home. I've tried to avoid using simple syrup just for the hassle factor, but if that's what it takes.....

Any other Mojito lovers around here?

Joe (SoCal)
04-10-2003, 10:21 AM
yup its the simple syrup - its not that much of a hassle.

Nicholas Carey
04-10-2003, 06:13 PM
If you like a Mojito, you might want to try a Caipirinha...recipe below. Meanwhile, here's the right way to make a Mojito:

Mojito

Ingredients
2 sprigs fresh, young mint
1 oz. simple syrup (see below).
Juice of 1/2 lime (fresh, not bottled)
Ice
2 oz rum (light is traditional, I like Meyer's dark rum. YMMV)
3 oz soda water

Equipment
1 muddler (looks like a small fish bat)
16 oz. bar mixing glass
metal cocktail shaker to match the mixing glass
cocktail strainer

Method
1. Muddle the leave from one mint sprig with the simple syrup and the lime juice in the bottom of a bar mixing glass.
2. Fill the mixing glass with ice.
3. Add the rum.
4. Place the cocktail shaker over the mixing glass and shake it hard.
5. Strain into a small glass (not more than 8 oz.) and add the soda water.
6. Garnish with the remaining sprig of mint and serve.

Simple Syrup

A cocktail bar essential. Incredibly simple to make. Once made, simple syrup will keep without refrigeration for several months. Refrigerated, it will keep virtually indefinately.

Ingredients
2 c. water
2 c. sugar

Method
1. Combine the sugar and water in a small non-reactive saucepan.
2. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stir until the sugar is dissolved. Be careful not to splash yourself—boiling sugar syrup is beaucoups hot.
3. Let cool.
4. Sterilize a resealable pint bottle—a used Grolsch beer bottle is perfect, the one with the resealable ceramic stopper. Decant the simple syrup into the bottle and store until needed.

That's all there is to it.

Caipirinha

The Caipirinha is the signature drink of minas Gerais province in Brazil.

It's made from Cachaça, a Brazilian liquor made from sugar cane juice. While rum is also made from sugar cane, it's made from sugarcane molasses instead of the juice, which gives it a quite different flavor than cachaça.

Ingredients
1 fresh lime
2 ounces of cachaça
Sugar to taste
Ice cubes

Method
1. Wash the lime and roll it on the board to loosen the juices.
2. Cut the lime into 8 pieces by cutting it into halves at its 'equator' and then quartering each half.
3. Place the limes in the bottom of a highball glass. Sprinkle with the sugar.
4. Muddle well the limes with the sugar. You want to release the lime juick and bruise the skin to release the volatile oils that make limes fragrant.
5. Add the cachaça and stir to mix. Add the ice and stir again.

Whoohoo!

Figment
04-10-2003, 06:37 PM
hmmm, the Caipirinha, eh? I'll have to give that one a try.

I've also been told that it's better to mash the mint STALKS for the flavor, not the leaves, but I haven't tried it personally yet.