PDA

View Full Version : "...Just wanted to see that you were on your toes...!"

Shang
02-16-2003, 02:03 PM
According a piece in the Christian Science Monitor http://www.csmonitor.com/specials/sept11/dailyUpdate.html
...The recent OHMYGAWDHERETHEYCOME!!! Homeland Security warning was based on a hoax fabricated by a captured Al Qaeda member.

Them rag-heads shore got a swell sense of humor...

Nicholas Carey
02-16-2003, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by Shang:
...The recent OHMYGAWDHERETHEYCOME!!! Homeland Security warning was based on a hoax fabricated by a captured Al Qaeda member.

Them rag-heads shore got a swell sense of humor...Awfully conveniently timed for W's purposes, doncha think?

And awfully lousy for the >$30 billion we spend on it every year. Frankly, I'd expect better analysis from the CIA and the FBI instead "omigod...the sky is falling!" that seems to come out of them.

NormMessinger
02-16-2003, 03:16 PM
But notice they are not changeing their color. Also, it seems there are those in both the CIA and FBI that think all the hype about the Iraq connection is pretty flimsy. They are play a dangerous game and about half of us have suckered. The rest of us will be dragged along to suffer the consequences.

ken mcclure
02-16-2003, 05:46 PM
If you wanted a large number of people to get themselves into a better position to hunker down in the event of an attack, how would you do it?

Would you send out letters? Would you put little infomercials on at 3:00am in between the pasta cookers and the vegetable dicers?

Or would you go ahead and issue a warning, causing a large number of people to hurry up and get ready?

Rocky
02-16-2003, 06:18 PM
"The Siege" with Denzel Washington was on today. Interesting take on all this, esp. w the WTC in the background.

Wiley Baggins
02-16-2003, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by Shang:
<snip>Them rag-heads shore got a swell sense of humor...<snip>I'm sure you can do better than that. It's not about political correctness, it's about not sounding like a bigot.

Meerkat
02-16-2003, 07:33 PM
The real problem IMO is that the administration is crying "wolf" too much. People are going to end up so blase' that they'll ignore the real one when it comes along.

ishmael
02-16-2003, 07:43 PM
The adminstration is between a proverbial rock and a hard place.

If they fail to sound an alarm, and we are attacked...

They sound an alarm too often, and the loyal opposition accuses them of crying wolf; or worse, using it to further their agenda.

It must be a lonley job at the top these days.

Nicholas Carey
02-17-2003, 02:46 AM
Originally posted by ken mcclure:
Or would you go ahead and issue a warning, causing a large number of people to hurry up and get ready?All I can is: Remember the boy who cried, "Wolf!"

The problem with that technique is that when you raise the alarum for real...nobody will pay attention.

Fairy tales have real and pertinent meaning, even now.

Nicholas Carey
02-17-2003, 02:50 AM
Originally posted by ishmael:
They sound an alarm too often, and the loyal opposition accuses them of crying wolf; or worse, using it to further their agenda.

It must be a lonley job at the top these days.The problem isn't that the administration is between a rock and a hard place. They got caught with their pants down in an intelligence failure that beggars the mind.

Now, they are running panicked and stupid -- any rumor, no matter how inane, is now cause for raising the hue and cry.

Meerkat
02-17-2003, 03:42 AM
Hmmm... either people aren't reading what I'm posting or I'm being ignored. :confused:

Peter Malcolm Jardine
02-17-2003, 03:58 AM
And you think that's the first time out here? :D

Shang
02-17-2003, 09:42 AM
"...' Them rag-heads shore got a swell sense of humor '..." (WileyB, quoting me)
"...it's about not sounding like a bigot."

Think you missed the point, Wiley.
It wasn't Arabic people I was making fun of.

John of Phoenix
02-17-2003, 12:45 PM
Why aren't we hearing about how strong this nation is? We should be hearing the praises of our past. The hardships we've endured. The bravery we've shown. The enduring value of Yankee Ingenuity. We should be reminded that our economy is the strongest ever seen and that the free world can’t be brought down by the acts of a handful of maniacal terrorists. Instead we get “duct tape.”

Is there anyone in Washington who still believes in the strength of the United States of America? Where is our leadership? How can we get it back?

Shang
02-17-2003, 02:51 PM
"...Think you missed the point, Wiley.
It wasn't Arabic people I was making fun of..." --me to Wiley

Hey, sorry, Wiley, that wasn't a kind way to phrase it...
How about, "Evidently I was being my usual obscure self, thanks for pointing that out to me."

I'd intended to make fun of the sort of short-sighted people who would apply denigrating nick-names to other people, but I see how the joke could be misread.

I wouldn't call my friends who run the near-eastern grocery store by ethnic nor geographic slurs, so I'll try to be careful not to say such things even in fun.