PDA

View Full Version : Saddam's Voice (0 for 2 in the Bush League)

Greg H
07-07-2003, 06:07 PM
Never mind the collateral damage.

CIA: Saddam's Audio Tape 'Appears to be Authentic'
Michael Bowman
Washington
07 Jul 2003, 20:39 UTC

Listen to Michael Bowman's report (RealAudio)
Bowman report - Download 132k (RealAudio)

The U.S. Central Intelligence Agency says an audio tape aired last week claiming to be
deposed Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein appears to be authentic.

The CIA says it conducted a technical analysis of the tape, which originally aired last
Friday over the Qatari-based Al-Jazeera network. Monday, a CIA spokesman said the
agency has concluded the tape is most likely Saddam's voice. The spokesman added,
however, that the poor quality of the recording precludes an absolute determination of
authenticity, and that the date of the recording cannot be verified.

The man purporting to be Saddam identified the date as June 14. He said he remains in
Iraq and is orchestrating attacks on U.S. forces in the country. He exhorted Iraqis to
resist foreign occupation.

The fate and whereabouts of Saddam Hussein have been a mystery since March, when
U.S. forces bombed a palace where the one-time Iraqi leader was believed to be staying
at the onset of hostilities. The United States is offering a $25 million reward for
information leading to Saddam's capture.

Are we safer yet? :rolleyes:

Jim H
07-07-2003, 06:18 PM
How long did it take us to get Noriega in Panama City, two months? It's just a matter of time. I think they'll get Uday first, Sadam after that and Qusay is the one they'll have real trouble locating. I would'nt be suprised if they took their lives rather than surrender, which is fine with me.

Greg H
07-07-2003, 06:25 PM
OBL (remember him? Sept. 11, Twin Towers, the Pentagon, Pa.) is still running around nearly 2 years later.

Jim H
07-07-2003, 06:48 PM
My theory on ubl is that he's been dead for a while. I base that on a totally unscientific knowledge that a son's voice can sound exactly like his father's. Since I was (around) 15 years old (or whenever my voice changed) not one of my uncles nor any of my father's business associates can tell me from my father on the phone. He even used to have me call his assistant into his office and she couldn't tell the difference. So, I really beleive he's dead, since we have recordings but no videos of him, I think his son is pretending to be him on tape to keep the cause going. I don't know that we would admit to getting him anyway, having him disappear off of the face of the earth would certainly be better than making him a martyr in prison or in death. I wouldn't be suprised if some smart spec ops guys capped him and his guards and kept quiet about it. Two reasons for that, one - to keep him from being a martyr, two - to keep them & their families from being targets. Until I see ubl on video, that's obviously been made recently, I will continue to think he's dead.

Greg H
07-07-2003, 07:08 PM
I hope you're right. But I can't imagine the "Dear Leader" or nearly any politition could withstand the temptation to announce OBL's demise.

km gresham
07-07-2003, 07:23 PM
Both tyrants are dead.

huisjen
07-07-2003, 08:06 PM
Prove it.

Dan

stan v
07-07-2003, 08:11 PM
Where's that little pipsqueak that's always bi*ching about political threads? Why does Habib not get thrown off? Did I just swerve into the Rodeo thread? Or does it have more to do with the fact that he (pipsqueak) agrees with the left? tongue.gif

Mrleft8
07-07-2003, 08:14 PM
Stan.... You need a life.... Or a wife.... Something....

huisjen
07-07-2003, 08:17 PM
In regards to Stan five's last post, I'm reminded of my 12th grade English teacher's oft repeated comment: "What's the biggest problem in the world: Ignorance or Apathy? Well, I don't know and I don't care.

If he want's to assign cryptic nicknames that only he knows as he mumbles away in the corner, so be it.

'Course everybody knows what the term "Gerbil Boy" means.

Dan

Mrleft8
07-07-2003, 08:46 PM
Osama Bin.....WHO?! :confused:

LeeG
07-07-2003, 09:03 PM
I don't think it'll matter whether SH is alive or not. The upper echelons of the Iraqi army didn't dissappear when the tanks rolled into Baghdad.

Dutch Rub
07-07-2003, 09:10 PM
Greg-

what I have also been saying all along-it won't make the homeland one bit more secure.

Dutch Rub
07-07-2003, 09:15 PM
Karen-

you are a delusional icy berson.

Dutch Rub
07-07-2003, 09:17 PM
Jim-

I think you've been taking dramatics lessons from Ish.

Shang
07-08-2003, 03:48 PM
Let's go over this again:
(1) The U.S. announces for months that it intends to bomb Saddam into turkey-paste in order to make the world safe from his Weapons of Mass Destruction.
(2) The U.S. conducts a MASSIVE, months-long, build-up of every kind of weapon anybody ever heard of, and HUGE ranks of troops right on Saddam's doorstep.
(3) By now every man, woman and child, and most household pets in Baghdad knows what's coming, and about when.
(4) Saddam withdraws a gazillion dollars in several kinds of currency from his bank account, and is last seen going down the road in a convoy of tractor trailers.
(5) The U.S. bombs Baghdad right on schedule, being sure to kill as many middle-aged, overweight men with mustaches as possible.
(6) The smoke clears...no sign of Saddam.
(7) Also no sign of any Weapons of Mass Destruction...
(8) ...Including those very portable bio-weapons which Saddam had already admitted to have produced in Al Hakam, a 10-square-mile biological-weapons factory, an hour southwest of Baghdad.
(9) Our Beloved Leader is delivered by airplane to a carrier deck, steps out wearing a pilot's suit, and takes a bow.
(10) Everybody feel secure now?

http://www.csmonitor.com/specials/inspections/images/theend.jpg

[ 07-08-2003, 04:49 PM: Message edited by: Shang ]

Scott Rosen
07-08-2003, 04:00 PM
Hasn't anyone noticed that there hasn't been another terrorist attack on American soil since 9/11? Someone is doing something right.

brad9798
07-08-2003, 04:06 PM
Thank you Mr. Rosen!

You are correct.

Alan D. Hyde
07-08-2003, 04:06 PM
Well said, Scott.

There's an old baseball saying:

Never complain of a fat pitch.

Alan

High C
07-08-2003, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by Shang:
Let's go over this again:
(1) The U.S. announces for months that it intends to bomb Saddam into turkey-paste in order to make the world safe from his Weapons of Mass Destruction.
(2) The U.S. conducts a MASSIVE, months-long, build-up of every kind of weapon anybody ever heard of, and HUGE ranks of troops right on Saddam's doorstep.
(3) By now every man, woman and child, and most household pets in Baghdad knows what's coming, and about when.
(4) Saddam withdraws a gazillion dollars in several kinds of currency from his bank account, and is last seen going down the road in a convoy of tractor trailers.
(5) The U.S. bombs Baghdad right on schedule, being sure to kill as many middle-aged, overweight men with mustaches as possible.
(6) The smoke clears...no sign of Saddam.
(7) Also no sign of any Weapons of Mass Destruction...
(8) ...Including those very portable bio-weapons which Saddam had already admitted to have produced in Al Hakam, a 10-square-mile biological-weapons factory, an hour southwest of Baghdad.
(9) Our Beloved Leader is delivered by airplane to a carrier deck, steps out wearing a pilot's suit, and takes a bow.
(10) Everybody feel secure now?
(11) We can thank the UN and the 14 months of "diplomacy" for the delay which made numbers 6 through 8 possible.

Greg H
07-08-2003, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by Scott Rosen:
Hasn't anyone noticed that there hasn't been another terrorist attack on American soil since 9/11? Someone is doing something right.Yes, some one is doing something right, and the successes will never be known, only the failiers.

.... but I think we are making more enemies than friends by the way we handling ourselves, and increasing the chances of further attacks.

thechemist
07-08-2003, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by Greg H:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Scott Rosen:
Hasn't anyone noticed that there hasn't been another terrorist attack on American soil since 9/11? Someone is doing something right.Yes, some one is doing something right, and the successes will never be known, only the failiers.

.... but I think we are making more enemies than friends by the way we handling ourselves, and increasing the chances of further attacks.</font>[/QUOTE]Be that as it may, consider the alternative: A nut-case with a nut-case family in control of too much of the world's oil. Seeing how he sadamized[ :D ] his own country, the alternative future history of the next few decades was too awful to confront

Greg H
07-08-2003, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by thechemist:
Be that as it may, consider the alternative: A nut-case with a nut-case family in control of too much of the world's oil. [/QB]I was thinking of our First family, until you mentioned Saddamization.
;)

[ 07-08-2003, 06:11 PM: Message edited by: Greg H ]

Chris Coose
07-08-2003, 05:29 PM
(12)Haliburton gets to privatize every infrastructure system in Iraq (and Afganistan and Liberia) and collect user fees forever.

High C
07-08-2003, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by Chris Coose:
(12)Haliburton gets to privatize every infrastructure system in Iraq (and Afganistan and Liberia) and collect user fees forever.Hmmm, Halliburton's stock holders are less enthused about the windfall you've forecast. Halliburton stock has failed to keep pace with the S+P 500 since the war started.

[ 07-08-2003, 06:57 PM: Message edited by: High C ]

Chris Coose
07-08-2003, 06:06 PM
Good point High C.
The economy in general has really gone to the dogs lately hasn't it?

thechemist
07-08-2003, 06:08 PM
(12)Haliburton gets to privatize every infrastructure system in Iraq (and Afganistan and Liberia) and collect user fees forever.[I Dunno about that forever asssertion, but......]

Is it your contention that it is wrong to profit from creating and bringing order and productivity to a country's infrastructure, that gives a high quality of life to its people, when no one there is capable of doing so?

Any life [individual or corporate] that does not make a profit does not survive. Nothing breaks even in this universe and survives, because the random setbacks Life experiences in this universe take their toll, and if one does not deliberately produce, exchange and thus earn more survival than one is consuming, one will inevitably perish.

That which seeks to survive, seeks to make a profit on its actions, for that reason.

High C
07-08-2003, 06:19 PM
Good point High C.
The economy in general has really gone to the dogs lately hasn't it?Oh no indeed! Halliburton and the S+P 500 are both up quite a lot in the last three months or so, but Halliburton lags behind.

Meerkat
07-08-2003, 10:33 PM
Hasn't anyone noticed that there hasn't been another terrorist attack on American soil since 9/11? &lt;snip&gt;YET

Lack of activity is not proof of inactivity or a good predictor of future events.

stan v
07-09-2003, 04:53 AM
Liberal nightmares:

Stock market...up

Terrorist attacks...down

Demorat leader...Dean

I feel good today, I do. :D

brad9798
07-09-2003, 09:38 AM
Donn- another good point.

Meerkat- your response is rather easy to support ... as you know, eventually something will happen, then you can go on a rampage against whatever it is you rage against.

Stan- Classic! :D

Take care all.

Brad

km gresham
07-09-2003, 09:42 AM
Dean is giving the democrats heart burn - and Nader says he's gonna run again. :D

[ 07-09-2003, 10:44 AM: Message edited by: km gresham ]

thechemist
07-09-2003, 09:58 AM
My vote's for Ahnold.

I think we need a strong leader.

Shang
07-09-2003, 02:37 PM
...And as his running-mate...

http://www.jeje.nu/arnold/stallone.jpg

NormMessinger
07-09-2003, 02:53 PM
Hasn't anyone noticed that there hasn't been another terrorist attack on American soil since 9/11? Someone is doing something right.Um, Scott, are you drawing a corollary with the attack on Iraq? How long was it between Oklahoma City and the Trade Towers? When one comes right down to it, terrorism attacks on US soil have never been much of a problem in the big picture. Which is not to say we should not and are not doing everything possible to prevent either domestic or foreign terrorists from succeeding. But Iraq? Come on!

Scott Rosen
07-09-2003, 04:39 PM
Norm, I can honestly say that I don't know what works and what doesn't. I don't know if there's a causal connection between our government's actions and the lack of attacks. I've simply observed that since 9/11 there have been no further attacks on our soil.

What it means to me is this: The lack of attacks is one piece of evidence that our government is effectly preventing further attacks. One cannot use this evidence to support a claim that our government is ineffective, as some are trying to do.

I think the only criticism that is consistent with this evidence would be that our government is overreaching in its actions. Time will tell.

thechemist
07-09-2003, 07:18 PM
I think, with that, Scott is spot-on.

NormMessinger
07-09-2003, 09:50 PM
As is often the case.

Once ya pin him down. ;)

Mrleft8
07-09-2003, 09:54 PM
Has anyone noticed that there were no terrorist acts in the US durring the 2 years prior to 9/11/01?