PDA

View Full Version : replacing teak deck plugs

jwaldin
12-20-2003, 09:35 AM
There must be a hundred teak deck plugs missing from my decks.
The problem is the deck has been sanded away to the point where the decks are only about 1/16th of an inch thick in some places. I guess that's why so many plugs have come out.
The holes are full of scum and dirt and probably some adhesive. What method would you recommend to really clean out the holes and should I attemp to replace the plugs or just fill the screw holes with 291DC of something else.

Mike Vogdes
12-20-2003, 10:11 AM
Wow! worn to 1/16" is pretty much worn out. Maybe you should just bite the bullet and replace the deck.

jwaldin
12-20-2003, 10:18 AM
Maybe in a year or two but I need to do something to them pretty soon.Underneath the decks is a thin layer of fiberglass then plywood.

Mike Vogdes
12-20-2003, 10:39 AM
Well if your gonna tear them up in a year or two a quick and dirty fix would be to do as you plan and clean out he screw holes and fill with a flexible caulk, then sand the decks and coat with "Skid No More" by Evercoat. Its a latex coating that has bits of rubber in it that will fill all those nooks and crannys that allow water to seep into the underdeck. I have been using this stuff for a couple years now on various projects and am very impressed with its performance, I have never used it over teak decks but I wouldn't hesitate in a situation such as yours. Its natural color is light grey but you may tint it to any color you desire. Its available at Waste or Boat US.

cbob
12-20-2003, 12:19 PM
j, What you have is bung waferization, usually caused by overzelous activities trying to show off the beauty of fresh teak, rather than taking advantage of it's durability and loving its's grayness. How about cleaning out these very shallow holes with a small wire brush, bronze wire best, and filling with Smith's Tropical Hardwood Epoxy applied with one of those small plastic syringes with the tip cut back to suit, or better, mix some fine teak sawdust with the epoxy to a paste consistancy, cut the syringe tip, back for a larger hole, use something like a Q-tip sort of swab with acetone to de-oil the side surfaces in the hole, work from a slab of cardboard or the like to avoid spilling onto the teak. Save your setup as bungs will continue to come out till you bite the bullet, Luck and Seasons Greetings, cbob

Ian Wright
12-20-2003, 01:41 PM
Remove the screws, deepen the hole, renew the screw, replace the plug.

IanW.

jwaldin
12-20-2003, 02:54 PM
Ian' Whoever laid the plywood only used 3/8".
I have no experience with laying teak decks. Is the teak normally fastened down to the fiberglass/ply only with screws or is/was it common to screw and glue? If I pull the screws and go deeper with a counter sink I'll go right thru the teak in some places. What then?

jwaldin
12-20-2003, 02:58 PM
I think I need to go with cbobs advice. I haven't heard of Smiths epoxy. I assume any epoxy will do? Yes no?

cbob
12-20-2003, 05:08 PM
j, Dunno, advertised for teak and other tropical hardwoods, but Dr. Smith should, or West literature? May be someone on here has Smith and Co. on line contact info. Richmond, CA, USA. cbob

Cosmo Lengro
12-20-2003, 05:10 PM
You are in BC correct?
Try Cold Cure products aka Industrial Formulators in BC.

And NO just any epoxy will not work.
:rolleyes:

Quickie
12-20-2003, 05:38 PM
A hundred deck plugs missing? A 1/16th of an inch?. You will already have leaks, wether they have got through any crakcs in your fibreglass and into the plywood...........well if it were me I'd be ripping the crud off now and thoroughly cheking my deck substrate for any unseen damage. Then If I wanted to keep my shippy looking teak decks I'd be replacing them using the Gougeon Bros West system right down the line as explained in their book. Anyone with half a brain can follow their system and I know from expeirence that you will have much less maintenance than with other methods.
Personally, as you have a substrate deck underneath, I'd rip the bloody teak off and leave it off - but each to their own.

Paul Scheuer
12-20-2003, 07:46 PM
Would a drop of wax in the screw slot be prudent ? Someday, someone will have to remove them. There have been times when I wished I had done that.

jwaldin
12-21-2003, 09:29 AM
That's right I do already have a couple of leaks.
The teak looks so good on the boat. Oh well It'll have be replaced.
Thanks for the advice.