PDA

View Full Version : Chess

Mike H.
03-13-2003, 07:50 PM
I haven't played in quite some time and used to
be pretty good. Any other players on the forum?

We used to sit in this little ol beer joint
in "West By God" and play to the wee hours on
Friday and Saturday nights.

It was great fun.

Joe (SoCal)
03-13-2003, 08:18 PM
I like a good game of chess. I also like a good game of checkers and backgammon, Othello, and poker. I have problems with the Snootiness that people that play chess sometimes have. ITS JUST A GAME. I have watched some great games in a chess bar on Mc Dougal St in The Village also some cool games in Washington Square Park in the summertime some serious hustlers there :eek:

Meerkat
03-13-2003, 08:28 PM
I was taught by my uncle: western regional grand master. Fat lot of good it ever did me smile.gif

A friendly game of chess is nice - when it gets formal with timers and "you touch it you move it", it loses it's appeal for me.

Mike H.
03-13-2003, 08:45 PM
Yeah Meer, just a friendly game is what I'm
talking about. We never used timers. We had
tournaments over pitchers of beer and it was
really fun. smile.gif

Mike H.
03-13-2003, 08:48 PM
I've got a nice Chess board. Hand carved pieces.
I also have a cheap magnetic one. I like it the
best.

Mr. Know It All
03-13-2003, 09:06 PM
My brother and I used to fist fight over chess games until our Mother forbid us to ever play it under her roof. :D

NormMessinger
03-13-2003, 09:14 PM
I tought my 11 yo grandneighbor the moves and got him to work with a computer chess program some. We played a few games but I let my guard down one day an the little dude checkmated me. I was proud of him but I regret I know so little I can't really help him develop. Besides I don't like to get beat.

Mike H.
03-13-2003, 09:21 PM
Getting beat is part of the learning process
Norm. Ya gotta crawl before you can walk.

NormMessinger
03-13-2003, 11:16 PM
Yeah, well, I tried to learn to play polker when the boys were about 6th grade. I kept getting beat in a game of chance. Now I can compete with mortals but, when God turns against me that's that. I don't play polker either. I shoulda known God was again me when Phyllis beat me 11 in a row at monopoly not long after we were married. Ha! Who needs character?

ishmael
03-13-2003, 11:19 PM
Kevin,

I don't know much about chess, but I think your s'posed to let the pieces do the fightin'. smile.gif

Wild Wassa
03-13-2003, 11:46 PM
I remember the days when Fischer vrs Spassky.

Those days were more intriging than Alinghi vrs Silver Fern.

Do not play the passed prawn.

Warren.

N. Scheuer
03-14-2003, 09:04 AM
Played against a fellow who was acquainted with Fischer, and had played him. This fellow taught me everything I know about winning chess.

This was in the US ARMY, back in 1961. We would be up late in the Orderly Room. Of something like 100 games played, I won only one, the last. He was terribly embarrassed, but I beat him with all the tactics he taught, nothing else.

Unfortunately he was reassigned later that week and we never played again.

These days my adult Son can beat me, he practices against computers.

Moby Nick