PDA

View Full Version : What is the deal with beer bottle caps anyway?

Captain Pre-Capsize
09-09-2004, 09:44 PM
Can somebody please tell me why some manufacturers of my favorite beverage insist on making you use a bottle cap opener? Many have twist off caps - what is the advantage to not having twist offs?

WFK
09-09-2004, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by Captain Pre-Capsize:
- what is the advantage to not having twist offs?So that when your bodies in the shop are struggling to find the bottle opener you can pop one off in a split second with the side of your chisel :D

Joe (SoCal)
09-09-2004, 09:59 PM
Cap'n I have bottle openers strategically located all over my compound at my bar on both my decks down at my barn. I even have them mounted to trees in the woods for walking lucky smile.gif I also have an old magnetic church key mounted to the dash of my Jeep :D I see no problem with it.

Besides if you ever bartended you will realize fast that after 20 or so twist offs your hand will bleed just as much as if they were NOT twist offs

[ 09-09-2004, 11:07 PM: Message edited by: Joe ( Cold Spring on Hudson ) ]

Mrleft8
09-10-2004, 08:16 AM
Twist off caps are for girly men who want to re-seal a half consumed beer. :D

LisaS
09-10-2004, 01:34 PM
I use an opener on all of them at the bar - twist off or not - because they shred your hands after a few hours.

As for re-sealing them...who on Earth would drink half a beer?

Lisa

Captain Pre-Capsize
09-10-2004, 09:39 PM
Well Lisa here is a tip. I picked this up from Robb White in a MAIB article.

To save shredding your fingers open your beer bottle thus: With bottle firmly held in one hand implant the bottle cap into the soft underside of your other forearm. As you push into the flesh of your forearm twist the bottle. It works! The skin somehow grips the cap but is not susceptible to the abrasive ridges around the edge of the cap.

Peter Malcolm Jardine
09-10-2004, 10:25 PM
I can honestly say I never liked beer.

LisaS
09-10-2004, 11:02 PM
That trick might work for one or two, but if you are serving upwards of five or six cases in a night, your arm would be shredded. Besides, I wear a full tux for this gig. The sleeves of the jacket would be toast after the first night.

Lisa

John B
09-11-2004, 12:48 AM
I'm getting one.

John B
09-11-2004, 12:49 AM
It works.

what a laugh.

John C. Gresham
09-11-2004, 01:07 AM
You can always bite the top off, like a real man. :D :D :D

Ian McColgin
09-11-2004, 06:53 AM
Our local sailing Rabi (who has recently made Admiral and is the highest ranking USNR Chaplain) is married to a Sabra, and all her brothers are tough Israeli paratroopers - real snake eating tough guys to a man.

So, when twist off was brand new, the Rabbi took a case over on a visit. Asked, "You guys want to try some American beer?" and then wowed them with his opening act . . .

However they come off, remember that the marine life in many areas has species that zap anything flashy so keep the caps in the boat.

videoguy
09-11-2004, 07:48 AM
In cozumel the carta blanca comes with a twist off cap but each bottle has a indentaion in the bottom that fits the cap so you just use another bottle as an opener.Cool..... smile.gif smile.gif ..Phil