PDA

View Full Version : what makes "successful" threads?

TomF
11-22-2004, 12:46 PM
I'm simply bogswiffled! We've topped 655 posts on the Darwin thread today. Do I hear 700?

There's a sociology dissertation buried in here, or a marketing seminar, depending on your orientation. Just what are the triggers that lead folks to keep on posting... The only other recent Bilge threads I can think of in the same class are Humour, Bikinis, and Abortions.

Hmmm. Preliminary thesis statements:

1. Pick a controversial ... but not conventionally political topic. By itself, politics usually won't break 50-100 posts.
2. Have some components accessible to "higher learning," and to emotion.
3. Make sure that the discussion boils down to one worldview vs. another - each of which make sense on their own terms.
4. Launch and respond to flames - but only to a certain degree. Real vitriol will scare away some people, and decrease the overall potential posting number.
5. Sex sells - whether abortion, bikinis, or evolution!

Think that would get a PhD funding grant?

Tom.

km gresham
11-22-2004, 12:49 PM
Easily.

Keith Wilson
11-22-2004, 12:59 PM
I think (as one of the altogether-too-persistent Darwinians) that actual flames just kill threads. Civil but intense disagreement is better; any insults should be very, even excessively polite, just like academia. ;) Global Warming was the previous record holder, I think, with 500+ posts, and I think it fits all your criteria except sex.

[ 11-22-2004, 01:02 PM: Message edited by: Keith Wilson ]

High C
11-22-2004, 01:04 PM
And let's not forget "Pope" (http://media5.hypernet.com/cgi-bin/UBB/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=5&t=016187&p=)

TomF
11-22-2004, 01:15 PM
Pope. Hooo - boy! Forgot that one.

Tangent - If someone were to copy the final post on one of those topics, deleting references to earlier posts in the thread and then re-post under a suitable topic line...

...would we launch into another 500+ run? Or do we need some "down-time" on a topic between these full-cafeteria food fights?

t.

TomF
11-22-2004, 02:32 PM
No sh*t?

Joe Dupere
11-22-2004, 03:02 PM
Well, I think just about any thread that entices me to post ought to be considered pretty successful, although I'm way too modest to say so myself...

Joe

P.S. ;)

jwaldin
11-22-2004, 03:29 PM
I'm on two other forums. Each has a seperate room for Religion. I don't go there. I just checked out the room and there are about ten posters who all have over 1500 posts. They just go round and around screaming at each other. The same ten members. Go figure. If a God made me and didn't give my brain the capacity to believe in Him that's his problem. If it's so important to him that I should go to heaven he should have done a better job. Why would anyone create human beings who would basically invent a thousand religions and then tell each of them theirs was the only true religion. It's not logical. If we weren't supposed to use our logic why did he put the logic chip in our brains?
THE END