X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Steve McMahon
    Senior Dis-Member
    • Nov 2000

Should it be decriminalized?

You know, man, weed, pot, smoke, reefer, cannabis...?
    We now have "medical exemptions", and most courts are throwing out any charges for possession of less than 30 grams. Should they just decriminalize or legalize it and get over with it? What are the pros and cons? Is grass still included in the US "War on Drugs". Is it legal in Texas?
    I am of mixed opinion on the subject, tried it once in school, but I didn't exhale.
    Stay calm, be brave....wait for the signs. Possibly precariously prevaricating.
  • ishmael
    Banned
    • Jun 2000

Yes

Comment

• Joe (SoCal)
      Banned
      • Feb 2002

Personally I don't like SMOKING. Occasionally I like a good cigar but that's about it. Pot definitely is nothing like the experience of a good cigar, you hack cough and gag, choke and then your supposed to stifle that reflex in order to allow the drug to enter your body. Personally give me a nice Ice cold beer or a velvet small batch bourbon or a swishing mouthful of a fine cabernet. Leave the coughing and gagging to the amatures As far as legalizing it. It is an entry drug and if we put as many legislation on it as tobacco smoking we would see a definitive drop in underage smokers as well as the possibility of them being exposed to dealers willing to sell them more dangerous narcotics.

Comment

• BruceG
        • Apr 2003

Nope not legal in Texas (thank goodness). I do not want it to be either. Just a thought on how to end the drug problem in the U.S. though. We always hear that the gov't has the largest stash--- well we poison it ALL- sale it on the street at a cut rate deal and BOOM no more addicts!!!! Wow, now that would do it!

Comment

• BruceG
          • Apr 2003

What Donn are you afraid your going to get some bad stuff if it would happen? Sarcasm is wasted on too many people!

Comment

• mqnada
            CS-17 "BANDALOOP"
            • Mar 2000

Decriminalize it. And all other 'recreational' drugs too.

It'd be a heck of a lot cheaper in terms of money, lives, and liberty than we've got now.

Comment

• Wiley Baggins
              • May 2002

Originally posted by Donn:
              BG...would you like another chair, to contain your giant intellect?
              Donn,

Not sure that two are required, but it's clear that you have tracked down the location.

Comment

• ishmael
                Banned
                • Jun 2000

Not to mix metaphors, or realities, but if the government has no controlling interest over what a woman does with a viable fetus, it surely has not controlling interest over what I put in my body. Privacy

Goofy ****e. Leave people be. It's not the governments business. Both the fetus and the reefer are between the individual and god. My only complaint about Roe v Wade is that the Supreme Court should have demured. They should have thrown it back to the states.

Comment

• ishmael
                  Banned
                  • Jun 2000

"Live edge"...unworked edge of a piece of wood. 'Live' as in how it came from life, as opposed to something worked.

As to the other, the similarities seem obvious to me. The argument re Roe v Wade was one of privacy. If a woman has constitutional right to keep private whatever she does with a fetus, then surely all of us have the right to do whatever we like with our bodies.

As I said, I think Roe v Wade is not constitutional. It's a matter for the states. Same with pot laws.

Comment

• BruceG
                    • Apr 2003

Said by Donn:
                    Ish...I have a short term memory problem. What are you taliking about, and what the H is a live edge?
                    Donn if you are going to point out flaws in others grammer, spelling, etc... please proofread yours BEFORE posting. I didn't know that 'taliking' was a new word for the forum. I'll have to write that one down for later use.

Before you ask your brother to take the speck out of his eye, remove the log from your own.

or

Practice what you preach!!!

Comment

• Steve McMahon
                      Senior Dis-Member
                      • Nov 2000

OK, So that's everybody is for legalization. No one has any legitimate arguments against?
                      Stay calm, be brave....wait for the signs. Possibly precariously prevaricating.

Comment

• BruceG
                        • Apr 2003

Donn,
                        If you don't mind me seconding your question to Ish as well. I am a bit confused about the connection myself.

Comment

• Ed Harrow
                          Retro Member #1235
                          • Mar 2000

Yes.
                          "Congress doesn't regulate Wall Street, Wall Street regulates Congress."

MAKE WAY! MAKE WAY! "I have heard of some kind of men that put quarrels purposely on others."

As a general rule, the better it felt when you said it, the more trouble it's going to get you into.

International Financial Conspirator, Collaborator, Gun Runner, Ace Philosopher-King and all-around smartie pants

Comment

• LeeG
                            • May 2002

of course.

Comment

• ishmael
                              Banned
                              • Jun 2000

Bruce and Donn,

I think they aren't well tied together! I think the Roe v Wade ruling was a usurpation of the power of the states. And I think the current narcotics laws are a usurpation of the right of the idividual to do whatever he or she damn well pleases, so long as they aren't harming anyone else. Abortion is a clear harm to another, in my book.

They aren't similar. I was following along the stupid reasoning of the Supreme Court; poorly pointing out hypocrisy; being absurdist. Sorry for the obscurity. Re-reading, I wasn't very clear.

[ 04-15-2003, 09:51 PM: Message edited by: ishmael ]

Comment

Working...