PDA

View Full Version : Status - 1/9/05

Concordia..41
01-09-2005, 03:42 PM
I just want to let everyone know what a series of miracles have occurred in St. Augustine.

Things were too busy yesterday to even take pictures, and itíd just be pictures of a big mess, but the move to the new warehouse is scheduled for Tuesday afternoon.

In nine weeks, James has single handedly replaced the stern knee, deadwood, 12 floors, and at least that many frames. There were also minor side projects that were each analyzed and solved.

James dealt with the deteriorating situation at the boatyard, ran interference with the yard owner, took more than his share of abuse, and got this project back on track.

When I hired James, my instructions were along the lines of Ďjust get the bottom under her so I can get her out of hereí and I frankly hoped only to get her moved to an enclosed location figuring that once protected if it took me two or ten years to finish the project, so be it.

But James hasnít just rigged the boat back together; heís done an amazing job. Iíd known him around the marinas for several years, but I didnít know how skilled he was. Heís also the hardest working person (including myself) that Iíve ever encountered. The amount accomplished in just over two months speaks volumes.

That is miracle #1.

Miracle #2 is thanks to our sponsors. The brief mention in #182 brought several nice e-mails and phone calls, one of which was a gentleman named Ron Anderson. Ron hails from Mystic, CT, and had already decided he didnít want to spend the winter in Connecticut when he read the piece in WoodenBoat.

When I checked references, it was obvious from the first phone call that Ron has a tremendous reputation with Mystic Seaport and every boat builder in the area. Despite my insistence that this was a really bad time with the upcoming move, Ron drove down here last week and ignoring my attempts to talk him out of this, he promptly fell in alongside James and went to work. Itís a good darn thing too because Iím in way over my head, and as some frantic e-mails to Oyster will attest, I was getting worked up into a pretty freaked out dither over the boat being picked up in a (to me at least) semi-fragile state.

James and Ron talked things through Saturday morning and came up with a plan to tighten up the port side of the boat and support the keel as necessary as the trailer does its thing. Ron set to work on the port side and James finished the last frames on starboard. I pulled a screw or two to earn my keep. ;)

For me, Saturday afternoon was much like the first day I pulled up to see Jamesí work and was just overwhelmed by the sight of sawdust under her transom again. Thankfully I had my sunglasses and respirator on because a good bit of the time I was fighting tears as I watched the two of them interacting and listened to the hum of power tools, and the tap of hammers and chisels. At one wonderful point, I had the sander going, Ron was running the table saw behind me, and James was off to the side welding up some boat stand bases for the new warehouse. It will always be wrong that Daveís not here, but I really feel like he would be happy with how things are going.

Thank you all for all of your tremendous support.

More on the move later. :eek: :eek:

- M

[ 01-10-2005, 07:41 PM: Message edited by: Concordia..41 ]

Ross M
01-09-2005, 03:45 PM
Cool Beans!

Ross

Donn
01-09-2005, 03:48 PM
:cool: :cool:

Dave Fleming
01-09-2005, 03:51 PM
Who says Dave didn't have something to do with the good folks showing up to work on Sarah?

I say he is still running the show and smiling with satisfaction.

ACES!

Ken Hutchins
01-09-2005, 04:01 PM
This really sounds great. smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif

holzbt
01-09-2005, 04:42 PM
That's wonderful, keep it up and you'll be sailing in no time. smile.gif smile.gif

Thad
01-09-2005, 05:06 PM
Thanks Margo

Joe (SoCal)
01-09-2005, 05:13 PM
http://media5.hypernet.com/ubb/icons/icon14.gif C :cool: :cool: L

imported_Steven Bauer
01-09-2005, 05:24 PM
:D Great news! Please let us know if there is anything we can do to help. This is such good news.

Steven

Scott Rosen
01-09-2005, 06:12 PM
That's nice to hear. This got me thinking that you would appreciate the movie, "Always." If you get a chance to rent it, give it a shot.

Domesticated_Mr. Know It All
01-09-2005, 07:43 PM
smile.gif

Memphis Mike
01-09-2005, 08:11 PM
Good on ya Margo! smile.gif

Paul Pless
01-09-2005, 11:27 PM
smile.gif

Peter Malcolm Jardine
01-09-2005, 11:53 PM
smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif :cool: :cool: :cool:

nedL
01-10-2005, 07:47 AM
Wonderful news Margo! smile.gif :cool:

cs
01-10-2005, 07:51 AM
Great news Margo. I'm glad to hear that work on Sarah prorgessing along.

Chad

NormMessinger
01-10-2005, 10:57 AM
Shoot! I got a pretty good idea back in September that you would have things pretty much under control. Good on you, cousin.

Buddy
01-10-2005, 05:37 PM
God Bless the ship's company.

abe
01-10-2005, 10:45 PM
Getting caught up after being away a few days and it is a pleasure to come back and read good news like this.

abe

brad9798
01-11-2005, 11:26 AM
Right On!!!

John Gardner
01-11-2005, 11:57 AM
Great to hear that you have extra help! I hope the move goes well today, you have lots folks pulling for you and Sarah. jack

imported_Steven Bauer
01-11-2005, 05:55 PM
So how'd it go? Is no news good news? Inquiring minds want to know.

Steven

Concordia..41
01-11-2005, 09:25 PM
The gory details are in the DON'T PANIC thread in Misc. Boat :(

- M

Wild Wassa
01-11-2005, 09:40 PM
Margo, The recent progress sounds amazing, may there be a lot more, along these lines. Congratulations to you and your colleagues.

Warren.