PDA

View Full Version : double trouble

John B
03-31-2005, 10:06 PM
In the immortal words of that grumpy old b@#$^&%* from the TV program "one foot in the grave"
Victor was it?

" I just dont BELEIVE it"

3 weeks ago the boy(9) broke his left arm. 4 hours in emergency, 8 hours the next day including the general,the reset, the dopey recovery, wrist past elbow cast.
Today I get the call.

he bust the other one as well.

He has TWO broken arms. Both radius bones.

on the positive side he doesn't seem to feel pain, doesn't grizzle and didn't even shed a tear the last time or this time either. didn't even want the panadol this time.

I just don't BELIEVE it.

Domesticated_Mr. Know It All
03-31-2005, 10:13 PM
He's only nine, it gets better when they're teenagers. :D

A guy I work with at the skating rink broke both wrists in one fall. :eek:

He said the biggest problem was uh...wiping. :D

L.W. Baxter
04-01-2005, 12:29 AM
A friend of mine, a week before his wedding day, took a rope swing off a bridge, smashed into a pylon, breaking wrists, collarbones, you name it. He zombie-walked down the aisle trussed up like a goose.

The best/worst part...

His mother-in-law toileted him for the first three months of his marriage.

PeterSibley
04-01-2005, 03:10 AM
Not at all unusual John...thinking back through my children's injuries...mainly arms and wrists .They heal fast and seem to count it almost as a medal,definitely with pride . smile.gif

cs
04-01-2005, 07:06 AM
Well John, I can't say that I've had two broken arms at the same time. A broken arm is part of being a boy. By the time I was 9 I had already had 2 or 3 broken arms.

Chad

Alan D. Hyde
04-01-2005, 10:34 AM
Well, John B., I hate to say it, but that leaves BOTH legs...

Not to mention ribs and collarbone...

Good luck! You may well need it. :D

Alan

[ 04-01-2005, 10:34 AM: Message edited by: Alan D. Hyde ]

km gresham
04-01-2005, 10:49 AM
This is the part they don't tell you when they say "congratulations, it's a BOY!" :D

Ken Hutchins
04-01-2005, 11:44 AM
"congratulations, it's a BOY!" Somehow you think only boys do things like that?
Well my daughter is proud of her scars especially the ones from being in traction for a month with a broken hip. :rolleyes:

km gresham
04-01-2005, 11:47 AM
I think it's more prevalent in boys, but congratulations on the adventurous girl. :eek: ;) smile.gif

boatlover
04-01-2005, 12:18 PM
John,

Sorry to hear about the double-trouble.

OTOH - I guess he won't be diving off the bowsprit - for a while.

Not all boys break bones. My four kids have a total of two breaks: one arm, one heel. Both on my oldest daughter. Different occasions, separated by a fair number of years.

Concussions are a different story. Boys (and I) have collected several. Oldest son was heping a friend move some stuff into a warehouse and fell off the loading dock. They took him to the emergency room. We didn't know where he was until he finally got home - about 6 hours late for supper.

Couple of years after that, I fell out of a tree and hit an exposed root with my head. I was out for about 14 hours, though I must have been semi-conscious for part of the time. Drove some friends crazy repeating:

I fell out of a tree ?

Don't tell xxxxx about that. I'll never live it down !

I fell out of a tree ?

Don't tell xxxxx about that. I'll mever live it down !

DC al fine (many times !!)

Finally woke up as they were wheeling me down the hallway for a second CAT scan, to see if they had missed something on the first one. They did the second scan, anyway.

I suppose that now is not a good time to give the boy a new playstation and a real exciting video game,.... or maybe it is ..?

My sympathy to the patient, and his nursing staff.

Regards,

Ed R

John B
04-01-2005, 02:54 PM
You guys should have seen some of the looks.
A. The nursing staff. Knowing, seen it before but you poor beggars kind of looks
B. Mother, returning from birthday lunch with her friends. You have got to be joking, download me with information, is this a joke/it has to be a joke
C. Siblings. ROFL
D. grandmother/ neighbours/ looking at parents....
what did you do to deserve this?

Actually the playstation idea is perfect Ed. With the first break he borrowed one and its been great for keeping him sitting and also his fingers working.

GT4 is out now isn't it?.... Hmmmmmmm I wonder....

Wild Dingo
04-02-2005, 03:51 AM
Joined the hoon with broken bones club eh John? :D

Members when young Jacinta broke her leg in 5 places when she was 4... she who loved nothin more than bouncing as high and as fast as humanly possible on the trampoline and then bouncing onto the ground to show a spectacular landing tada!~ lookit me dadda!! no worries no probs just boing and land... easy as

But then the day she billy goated up onto the roofrack of the ol landcruiser and on her way down she stepped of the bullbar onto the ground a simple matter of a couple of feet and crack crack cracketty crack..

She wimpered for a bit hobbled around and really we simply thought she had sprained her leg muscles... till she cried herself to sleep that night and so off to the quack exrays and there they are broken bones!!!... so cast from foot to crotch on this tiny little girl... our bub ended up bangin around the house happy as a lark whackin everyone she came near and gigglin hysterically at their antics as the hard plaster came in rapid contact with knee caps and shin bones

aahhh memories but shes fine an dandy now just a mere blurry memory in the photo albums now :D

He will recover and laugh about it mate! war wounds doncha know tongue.gif good for gettin the sheilas!!! :D

Peter Kalshoven
04-02-2005, 07:11 AM
John, the summer my older brother was 13, he managed to break his leg, then cut his thumb down to the tendon. This inspired my mother to develop the family motto, one that has served me well with my three kids. It's tender, yet succinct:

"BE CAREFUL! WE DON'T HAVE TIME TO GO TO THE EMERGENCY ROOM!"

If that ain't love, I don't know what is,
:D

km gresham
04-02-2005, 09:10 AM
:D Don't know why I never thought of that, Peter!