PDA

View Full Version : Gun care

huisjen
04-08-2003, 09:29 AM
All right, I need some gun help. My father in law presented us with a rifle, assuming that it would be useful around the farm. My past includes plenty of training in how to fire a gun, but little in how to clean and care for one.

This is a Remmington Fieldmaster, model 121, slide action repeating .22 rifle. (I understand that Katey's grandfather bought it for her grandmother after a particularly unsuccessful hunting trip, when he decided that he needed to have a rifle, but couldn't justify buying one for himself. But this way he got to use it, even though she officially owned it and never fired it once.) It's maybe 60 years old? (The ammo, which I won't be trying to use is probably half that.)

I got it apart enough to see that there's a lot of old dry oil with dust in it. I barely got it apart because of the amount of crud. My first thought is to go after it with an old toothbrush and some penetrating oil or maybe gasoline, assuming it doesn't melt the toothbrush. I guess I'd follow that up with clean petroleum jelly. I imagine I'm going to have to buy a barrel brush.

Any comments?

Dan

John Bell
04-08-2003, 09:34 AM
Go to a gun shop and buy yourself (for about $10-15) a cleaning kit. It will have instructions about what to do. The gun shop can also give you some advice as well.

I wouldn't use petroleum jelly anywhere on a gun, unless perhaps for long term storage. And even then, probably not.

Ken Hall
04-08-2003, 09:36 AM
What John said. The kits are inexpensive and easy to use.

Gresham CA
04-08-2003, 09:36 AM
Take it to a gunsmith this time and then search the internet to find all you can on the little rifle. Sounds like a cool toy though.

Gresham CA
04-08-2003, 09:48 AM
Exactly what Donn said.

htom
04-08-2003, 11:12 AM
John & Donn have covered it. After you've cleaned it, have a competent gunsmith check it out and testfire it, then have fun plinking.

Alan D. Hyde
04-08-2003, 11:16 AM
The cleaning kits are cheaper at Wal-Mart, or similar stores.

Other than that, what they said...

Alan