PDA

View Full Version : Anonymity

Tom Beecroft
02-16-2001, 06:53 AM
The other day, my teenage daughter asked me why I make her always use an anonymous, untraceable name everywhere she goes on the internet, but I use my real name in this forum. I told her it was because old men sometimes pretend to be teenage girls (or boys) on the sites she frequents for a number of spurious reasons, but here, it's a bunch of old men claiming to be old men, and it would be extremely unlikely and counter productive for a teenage girl to come on here claiming to be an old man, or something like that. And I don't mind if all of you know who I am, because I'm not a teenage girl, and I won't give out my address to any of you old farts anyway (not without shouting me a few first) and etc, etc.

So, given this forum can take a topic on inexpensive acccommodations near water and turn it into a discussion of morals and civility, what do you think? Why are some of us anonymous here and other aren't?

Seems to me if we're willing to socialiaze a la PSEBS, we'd shed the handles.

Or, if I posted under the nickname "Captain Bligh" or "Widowmaker" would I be more callous or reckless in my thoughts and answers (hard to imagine)?

Tom Beecroft (aka Lumber Mangler)

TomRobb
02-16-2001, 08:12 AM
Habit? Paranoia? Web culture thing? I don't know. It does feel a bit wierd to converse with someone who wishes to be known as Headbanger or Piercedbrain. Perhaps those who use an alias might explain themselves.
Tom Robb

[This message has been edited by TomRobb (edited 02-16-2001).]

Andrew
02-16-2001, 08:22 AM
I guess it's time to come out of the closet. Hi, I'm a teenage girl seeking spurious fun with dirty old sailors including liberal application of CPES.

Andrew
02-16-2001, 08:23 AM
I guess one day someone will be scratching their head after doing a search on CPES.

Bruce Taylor
02-16-2001, 08:58 AM
LOL, Andrew

I might have signed on w/ an alias but I was too lazy to think one up. Besides, my name is so common it might as well belong to someone else.

If I had a good name like Beecroft I'd probably want to keep it all to myself. http://media5.hypernet.com/~dick/ubb/smile.gif

The guys who use pseudonyms here don't seem to be hiding behind them (with the possible exception of "Daddy Calls Me Simple").

NormMessinger
02-16-2001, 09:08 AM
In other fora I have a personal rule not to communicate with someone who does not use a real sounding name. Had to make an ocassional exception here. http://media5.hypernet.com/~dick/ubb/frown.gif

--Norm

Bruce Taylor
02-16-2001, 09:16 AM
On the other hand, just how real are those "real sounding" names? Is it true that "Bill Leggett" is actually a team of high-paid hollywood gag writers?

TheChemist, at least, has been quite open about his extraterrestrial origins. He knows we'd have trouble with his real name, Xquiglaglkz (sp?).

John R Smith
02-16-2001, 09:16 AM
Well, I don't think (and never have thought) that there's any virtue in anonymity or pseudonyms here on the Forum. In fact, the only reason I am JohnRSmith with no spaces was because I wasn't sure if the UBB accepted spaces with no underline when I first logged in.

And I have to say it's good to know that I am chatting to Ian or Tom or Norm or whoever, not Deathmask or EntrailSucker.

On the other hand, those who insist on cloaking themselves in mystery perhaps add a little frisson to this hallowed place. Who is the Chemist, for instance? I have this image of a muscular figure, clad in a costume similar to Batman's but with a large letter "C" emblazoned across his rippling chest muscles. Smacksman is obviously a stooped ancient figure wearing a fisherman's jersey, a battered pipe clenched between toothless gums and clutching an oyster dredge.

But then, if Tom is right, both of them could in fact be lovelorn ladies iof a certain age, hoping to ingraciate themselves with us desirable gentlemen over the untraceable ether of the Internet . . .

John (aka Mudgolloper)

Bruce Hooke
02-16-2001, 09:22 AM
I debated which way to go when I was registering and finally decided that using my real name in this case was worth the small risk of someone misusing my name and other personal information. I did, however, receive something of a wake up call on this sort of thing recently when I wrote a letter to the local newspaper, which was, of course, published with my name, and I later got an anonymous letter in the mail in reply. I assume the sender got my address from the phone book. Fortunately, the anonymous letter was just some religious tracts intended to influence my opinions, but it was a little un-nerving to realize that someone with a more nasty bent could just as easily have tracked me down. So, I am now somewhat more careful about this sort of thing. In the case of the WoodenBoat website, however, I felt there were two reasons not to get too worried. First off, I can't imagine anyone getting THAT worked up about my onions about boats. Second, I basically trust the rest of the Wooden Boat crowd, it is the other people that might find their way to this forum that I worry about, but I think it is rather unlikely that many people who are not wooden boat aficionados find their way to this site in the first place. None-the-less, I can certainly relate to the people who chose anonymity, and I have to say that there is even another sort of integrity to that choice -- after all, how do any of you know that my real name isn't David Ockington?

- Bruce

Jonathan Kabak
02-16-2001, 09:24 AM
To quote Popeye "I amsk what I amsk what I amsk"

Tom-

For the most part I tend to agree with your thoughts on the matter. The community that surrounds wooden boats is one that I like to consider respectful and safe if not a little bit oddball. This forum to me is an extension of the worldwide community that I consider myself a part of. Everything in life carries an inherent risk but I myself refuse to live in fear of every little thing. Other then The Chemist whose name is easy to spot in a thread when you are looking for the bio-molecular info on something, I think we as a whole tend to use our real names here. We maintain a level of respect that is in my belief much beyond that of many other locations on the internet. For this we deserve a pat on the back. I don't believe we have to hide behind anything here, although differing perspectives are always apreciated.

Just my 2 cents on the matter

Jonathan

ishmael
02-16-2001, 09:53 AM
My signing on here coincided with my introduction to the web, so when the computer asked for a user name, I picked one out of my hat. Interestingly, I was so intent on anonymity that, at roughly the same time, I made my free e-mail address my real name.

How do we KNOW that, oh... say Tom Robb, isn't a space alien named Frabitz Magoo, any hoo?

Pretty anonymous no matter how you slice it.

Best all, Jack Heinlen

abe
02-16-2001, 11:07 AM
The level of anonymity someone assumes may or may not be a conscious decision. When I set up my user name it was easier to use three letters instead of sixteen.

It is interesting to note the different levels of personal information that forumites share. But if we were all to meet face to face for an hour or two the same interactions we have on the forum would also develop very quickly. Not all would be comfortable to shed the handles and some of us may be more comfortable sitting at the end of the bar.

I took photos of five of us at the "Mystic Meeting" last summer at the WoodenBoat show and posted same. I sent e-mail to the participants seeking permission to post names with the pictures. Because I did not get a response from one of the gang, I did not post names. No big deal.

Now if you want to know what I had for breakfast, just shoot me an e-mail. http://media5.hypernet.com/~dick/ubb/wink.gif

abe(Andrew Abrahamson)

[This message has been edited by abe (edited 02-16-2001).]

Art Read
02-16-2001, 11:11 AM
I've always been a bit puzzled by people's fear of somehow being "tracked down" or otherwise "violated" by means of their internet participation. Surely a psudonom makes sense if you're cruising lonely heart's chat rooms or financial discusion sites I suppose. But when I read all the various "warnings" posted about protecting your online "privacy", I ask myself why I should be any more concerned "online" than I am in the "real" world. I suppose a sophisticated enough hacker could invade my harddrive and somehow get enough information about me to use my credit card, but the same thing could be said for the cocktail waitress who takes my card into the back to run it thru her machine... And with a LOT less effort! Perhaps I am opening myself up to a much larger potential audience of skullduggery being connected to the web, but doesn't that also means my individual odds of being victimised are diluted? Besides, that's why I patronise a credit provider that offers anti-fraud protection as part of the service. And compared to most folks online, I doubt I'm really a "tempting" target in the first place! As for somebody wanting to somehow "find" me for other untoward purposes, well, I'm hardly hiding. Aren't most of your names and addresses listed in the phone book too? Again, it's just a larger pool of potential troublemakers with access to my information. If I was worried about it at all, I'd be more worried about the one's who are close by anyway... So far, the only people who've ever used the internet to contact me unexpectedly have either been folks from the forum with help or advise about my project or somedody looking for a delivery skipper. That's how I got my last trip back from Hawaii... I rather LIKE not being "anonymous"!

J. Dillon
02-16-2001, 11:34 AM
Frankly I don't give a hoot what people call themselves here on this forum. I find the "nick names" chosen for one self interesting. What I find disturbing is the blank profiles. I like to get a sense of what people are about, other interests, where there from etc. Then I can form a better image in my mind about the poster, and give an informed answer to some questions.

In time one does get a sense of "blank profile" Forumites that are frequent participants here, but newbies in my opinion should tell a little about themselves provided by the spaces in the "Profiles".
Jack Dillon or JD for short.

Bruce Taylor
02-16-2001, 11:34 AM
. Who is the Chemist, for instance? I have this image of a muscular figure, clad in a costume similar to Batman's but with a large letter "C" emblazoned across his rippling chest muscles.

Nope. Pudgy little green-skinned guy with seven eyes.

paladin
02-16-2001, 11:50 AM
well...when I started playing with this computer thingy the kids told me "it wasn't cool" to use your own name. ..everyone uses a "persona".....okay I guess. I picked something of a contraction and then the kids said no again...with some explanations. So I picked paladin.......but someone else had already done so...so..sorta going back to the old tv western I added sfo. The paladin did not refer to the old western, although adding the sfo may make it appear so. My given name is Charles.....and Charlemagne means Charles the great....well I might have used that but picked "paladin" instead. The Paladin were 12 noble knights in service to Charlemagne, modern usage meaning any knight on a noble quest. What quest could be more noble than building a wooden boat? The sfo is a three letter designator for San Francisco.....but it was really Alviso Slough at the end of the Bay where I got my start while a student at Berkely....back in the days of Arthur Piver and Jim Brown and Frank Wurz and the rest...
Chuck

Ross Faneuf
02-16-2001, 12:17 PM
It's clearly really wise for children to use an alias on the net. But in general I prefer to see people identify themselves, and I have a personal policy to always use my real name on the net. So far, I haven't wanted to say anything so dangerous that I felt that only anonymity would do.

My local community web site has endless go-rounds about this. They have a courtesy policy, and posted a warning that the possibility existed that they might have to divulge anonymous users' IP address if ordered by, say a court. Much hullabaloo, with which I had little sympathy. My own feeling is that owner of a site has the right to enforce whatever policy they like. If someone doesn't like it they should get their own site.

I tend to give little weight to anonymous/disguised opinions - except on this site. On my community site, it's usually used as a license to be petty, mean-spirited, and personally offensive; although the level isn't too bad, nothing like some of the serious flame sites on the net. While anonymity is clearly justified for, say posting dangerous political views if you live in mainland China, that's rarely the excuse for most us.

That said, the persona usage can be kind of fun, and I don't automatically discount it. What people say is the important thing. The little green guy gets plenty of respect here.

Ron Williamson
02-16-2001, 12:47 PM
I have no problem with any of the pseudonyms nor blank profiles.If a guy wants to be anonymous or not,that should be his business.A chemical industry,or other, insider should be careful if he is spilling company or industry secrets so that his actions don't bite him on the ass,but otherwise who cares?
I don't buy online out of habit,(and poverty) not lack of trust.Besides,I like something in my hands before I throw down the money.As for privacy what do I have that anyone wants?
Naively yours,
R

htom
02-16-2001, 12:49 PM
Hmmm. Well, it is good for kids to be anon, and for those doing things that they don't want traced to them (in which case they need to do more than calling themselves "Captain in charge of doing nasty things".)

I've been "htom" for, umm, well, since 1967 or thenabout. I frequently say that "it's a Unix(tm) thing", but it actually dates long before then to a radio station that I worked at that had seven "Tom"s on the engineering staff. I became "H. Tom", which rapidly became "htom", and I've frequently used it ever since, it's a great confusion eliminator (and causer!) I've been "htom" no-last-name online since 1984.

I'm currently resisting the urge to purchase a paper chipper for the office. Privacy is important, after all, but how far do we go?

Andrew
02-16-2001, 01:14 PM
I chose to use my name for the simple reason that I can remember it. I have enough trouble remembering passwords not to compound the matter with remembering a user id.

PS Talk about self-fulling prophecy, my first attempt at posting this failed due to the wrong password

bythelake
02-16-2001, 01:27 PM
When I first registered here, it asked for a username. I used the same one that I use for everything else so I would not have to remember a number of different logons. For those who are interested, my real name is Mike Cummings. (Which would be in my profile if they provided a place for such.)

That said, I applaud Tom's precautions for his daughter. I have a daughter, age 9, and I don't let her use personal information when playing on-line, for the same reasons.

[This message has been edited by bythelake (edited 02-16-2001).]

BrianCunningham
02-16-2001, 01:43 PM
I used my real name since I do a lot of design work, and when I race it helps prove your not a cheat.

On the other hand I encouraged my mother ( who isn't quite are computer literate ) to use a loginname.

And I black out the plate on my car since plates can be traced.
http://homepages.go.com/~wdnnsd/RoadAmerica/img13.gif big pic (http://homepages.go.com/~wdnnsd/RoadAmerica/img13.jpg)

Also I never post my home address.

When I get the liveaboard I'll post where its registered, since it will be on the boat, but not the marina. Since I want it there when I get home

[This message has been edited by BrianCunningham (edited 02-16-2001).]

Scott Rosen
02-16-2001, 01:58 PM
It never occurred to me to use an alias. I don't frequent other forums and chat sites, and I have no fear for my safety from the likes of this wooden boat obsessed group. Dangers are relative. The most dangerous thing most of do is to get behind the wheel of an automobile, which most of us will do at least twice a day. Compared to the risk you take by driving, I think that posting your real name on the web is pretty safe.

Using one's real name is a sign of respect for the rest of us. The wooden boat community is small, so eventually some of us will run into each other. I kinda like the idea that maybe I'll see Lulu out on the water one day and I'll be able to hail her skipper by name. I also like the idea that maybe one of you will see my Patience on the water one day and say, "Hey, that's Rosen's boat." (Special Promotional Offer! When see Patience, call on VHF 16 and mention that you heard the offer here, on this channel, and you'll get one free beer and one free dog kiss from Pookah.)

To those of you who like to go by an alias, how do feel about posting information on the soon-to-be-running "My Wooden Boat" site?

G. Schollmeier
02-16-2001, 03:18 PM
Brian, you did it again with the picture. I have small RAM and small screen. They like small pics'.
As for my name it's Gary Schollmeier. I have been using G. on the LAN at work for so long I didn't give it a thought. Real names are nice but I will accept that some may have a reason for not using them. I do like the profiles. And I have misconceptions about most of you with or without them. Like I never would have guessed ishmael was a Jack. http://media5.hypernet.com/~dick/ubb/biggrin.gif
Gary

BrianCunningham
02-16-2001, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by G. Schollmeier:
Brian, you did it again with the picture. I have small RAM and small screen. They like small pics'.<snip>
Jack. http://media5.hypernet.com/~dick/ubb/biggrin.gif
Gary

all better now http://media5.hypernet.com/~dick/ubb/biggrin.gif

Ken Hall
02-16-2001, 04:05 PM
For me it was just force of habit. My first experiences with web forums were those associated with the online flight sims Warbirds/Dawn of Aces. In those games you're limited to a 6-or-7-character "handle" that also serves as your pilot callsign, ala "Maverick," "Goose," or DeadMeat." http://media5.hypernet.com/~dick/ubb/smile.gif My handle over there is Flathat.

When I registered for this forum I picked a facetious name that represents my overall boat skill level. Just habit. Most semi-regular readers know I'm Ken from Cleveland.

Best,
Ken

G. Schollmeier
02-16-2001, 04:05 PM
Brian, LOL!! I love your pics'. It just takes forever to load sometimes. Keep them comeing.
Gary

ThomNC
02-16-2001, 04:41 PM
Never thought about it. I'm Thom Joyce from Wilmington NC and have used ThomNC everywhere I've been.
Thom Joyce

Mark Van
02-16-2001, 06:12 PM
I use Mark Van because it is a lot shorter than Mark Van Abbema, and easier to pronounce.

Will
02-16-2001, 06:33 PM
Don't feel like I'm traveling under an alias . Will is just quicker to type in than William B. Perkins . As for providing a profile ; that's an option , not a mutual responsibility . It's not a Duty to fill in every blank space in evey form we're presented with . Our identity , for the purposes of this forum , is contained in our posts .

Tom Beecroft
02-16-2001, 10:01 PM
Didn't mean this to be a rant against the aliases out there. I often find them both interesting and revealing. And I presume for some there are damn good reasons for an alias, like someone in the industry having the ability to post personal opinions without commercial repercussions (chemist?)

But it sounds like it's turned into kind of a coming out party!

All right, I'll join in. My real name is Nicole Kidman. But please don't tell anyone.

noquiklos
02-17-2001, 12:36 AM
My nom de plume is related to my boats name, which my daughter chose from a local Indian legend. Noquiklos was a dragon who lived atop Tomanawas Rock in the land of the Chimakum tribe, and Quarlo (our boat) is the young Chimakum warrior who befriended him, kinda like Puff.
I use it everywhere, but if you want my name, ask.
Hi, I'm Roy, and I love wooden boats.
Roy Fulmer

Charlie J
02-17-2001, 09:15 AM
I normally go by Charlie but when I first registered I blew it somehow and iit wouldn't let me do it again so I used C E and then it wouldn't let me change it. So I guess I'm stuck being C E.

I just wish this site would remember my user ID and password for more than two days so I wouldn't have to re-enter all the time.

Charlie Jones

Billy Bones
02-17-2001, 09:36 AM
Aliases? Would not a rose by any other name smell as sweet? Bob Cleek might or might not be his real name, but its the name of a character whom many of us have come to know. Ditto Chemist. I'm always intrigued to know more about people but its not a condition of my respect (deliberately anyway).

wandiwise
02-17-2001, 12:09 PM
When registering for this forum I was requested to furnish a 'user name.' This is the only forum I have ever joined (is that the proper term?) and picked something meaningful to me. Unfortunately, the site crashed some time later, and I had to re-register with a new name. I picked this one, as I've explained here before, as my first initial and my wife's first initial plus my last name. My profile furnishes further identification.

Since we are letting it hang out here on this subject, my two cents worth of peeve here is not user names, but blank profiles. This is especially true when some folks manage to turn any discussion into political comment and yet don't have the gonads to furnish personal information to those who go to his profile, trying to find a clue as to the reason for these comments.

We are all entitled to our opinions, but have already lost the right to stand on our soapbox and spout our feelings and ideas if they go against current political/social trends. That's a shame, and I wish I knew a solution to that problem. But, I don't believe the WoodenBoat Forum is the proper place to anonymously turn nautical discussions into political/social diatribes.

There! I said it!

ishmael
02-17-2001, 01:09 PM
Wandi,

As I said above, when I signed up I was completely new to this web "thang". At the time, I was working on the assumption that 'privacy issues' meant I should be somewhat coy with personal information. Just silly I guess, but a naive reflex rather than a decision. Later, I didn't know I could change the profile. Now...just for you, and since I've been known to get embroiled in as well as start political discussions here, I've modified my profile.

I don't see anything wrong with people holding their cards close to their vest, if they wish. Nor do I feel it's wrong to talk about the only vaguely nautical or the non-nautical, so long as a loud consensus doesn't form against it, and the administrators are amenable. Consensus, loud or no, would be difficult to find with the diverse and interesting crew aboard good ship WB Forum. After all, here we are talking about anonymity on the web.

So, about that Jesse Jackson... http://media5.hypernet.com/~dick/ubb/smile.gif

Best, Jack

P.S. Hey Nicole. Now that you've finally come to your senses around that empty headed pretty boy husband of yours, how about you and me cuttin' a rug some night? You know where I live now. Just remember guys, I asked first!

[This message has been edited by ishmael (edited 02-17-2001).]

NormMessinger
02-17-2001, 01:48 PM
I don't care what you call me as long as it aint Latefer Lunch!

--Yahooty

Smacksman
02-17-2001, 05:42 PM
Ref the above revelations ...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
. Smacksman is obviously a stooped ancient figure wearing a fisherman's jersey, a battered pipe clenched between toothless gums and clutching an oyster dredge.

But then, if Tom is right, both of them could in fact be lovelorn ladies iof a certain age, hoping to ingraciate themselves with us desirable gentlemen over the untraceable ether of the Internet . . .

John (aka Mudgolloper)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
.... you boys are amazing!! How did you know you were BOTH right!!
We have an equal opportunities policy to fishing in the UK.
OxOx [Hugs and kisses]

TomFF
02-17-2001, 10:11 PM
I started out on the forum as hake (a college nickname) but decided to use my real name. I kept having to type in my password because I lost my cookie.

I don't mind nicknames- some of them are creative. I haven't been too concerned about danger on the web as much as I have been about getting multitudes of e-mail from epoxy companies. I appreciate Woodenboats willingness to keep the forum going and even use advertising space to tell us about it. And I haven't recieved any e-mail advertisements.

Thanks Woodenboat.

Tom F Fehr

landlocked sailor
02-17-2001, 10:45 PM
I initially tried just "landlocked" but the BIG MACHINE told me that was already in use. Anyway it really does describe me better than my real name; even my family calls me that(only kidding) Rick, from waterless central PA

Mike Field
02-18-2001, 12:02 AM
Hey, Tom, who are you calling, "a bunch of old men claiming to be old men."

I might BE one, but I don't CLAIM it.

Young Lochinvar

wandiwise
02-18-2001, 12:15 PM
Atta Boy, Ish! I'm proud of you. Now they know where to chuck those eggs at either of us.

Lovely part of the country, yours When we retired one of the places we looked to relocate was Maine. But, we settled for the Olympic Penninsula. Guess that's about as far away from Maine as one can get and remain in the good'ol Continental.

Ed Harrow
02-18-2001, 03:04 PM
Well I considered signing on as "The Man in White", but I was concerned about blowing the cover off The Committee's operations... http://media5.hypernet.com/~dick/ubb/smile.gif

thechemist
02-18-2001, 03:23 PM
Careful, there......

John B
02-18-2001, 08:25 PM
And here's me been so worried that someone's gonna nick my clamps.

I don't use my full name because Bertenshaw has 10 letters . Never really considered that this forum could be unsafe although I see what you others are saying about the kids ( and the potential of other groups).
Am I a bit naive? should I be more wary, particularly with photos ?. Family ?.

I must admit that the number of hits on the photopoint albums surprised me a bit. It's a wider community than I had imagined .

Andrew
02-18-2001, 10:22 PM
Bertenshaw, darn I thought your real name was Sloop.

[This message has been edited by Andrew (edited 02-18-2001).]

John B
02-18-2001, 10:40 PM
Yeah. It could be Albatrossroundmyneck and easier.
Bertenshaw.... "how do you spell that?"
"b E r t E n s h A w" " no, E r t E n "
"s h A, no .....A w".
Try doing that all your life.
My wife's name is Hardie Boys and no way would she change it .

Tom Beecroft
02-18-2001, 11:43 PM
I sympathize, John. I've had Beercroft, Beencraft, Beechcroft (often) etc etc. One of the best things about moving to Sydney is there's a suburb here named Beecroft, so everyone knows how to spell my name. Bliss.

John B
02-18-2001, 11:54 PM
Tom,
Apparently there is a town in the North of England where it(my name )is common. Lancashire somewhere?
Otherwise no hope.
Good thread.

Jamie Hascall
02-19-2001, 01:46 AM
Obfuscation was never one of my strong suits, although my diplomacy isn't too bad. I end up with the constant "Are you any relation to Eddie Haskell?", to which I must admit yes, since my brother is Norman Eddy Hascall, as is my father and was my Great Grandfather. However, somebody changed the spelling from the "kell" version a number of generations back so I always have to spell it anyways.

This group is one I've never considered hiding my identity from, but I've never considered any of you any less of a friend and correspondent for your moniker, and have often wished I had the creativity and cojones to pick a really good one. I remember with great fondness approaching Roy in Port Townsend with "Noquiklos I presume?" as he was getting together with Tim Scearce to race Kestrel in the Classic Mariners Regatta. There was a moment of searching the data bank before the look of recognition occurred, but then there was common ground. We had only a momentery exchange, but it had a history to support it. I look forward to getting to better know the man that goes with the name in the future.

I do appreciate enough of a bio to be able to contact somebody off Forum. The recent PSEBS get together with Ed Harrow was one fine result of information exchange, and I'm excited to be able to meet Jorma Salomaa on an upcoming trip to Scandinavia. It makes me want to head to Turkey to meet Yalcin and down under to visit John B. and Marco Polo (what ever happened to him anyway?). I only wish I had been a bit more attuned to this when I visited Maine a year and a half ago.

Salud to you all (Y'all?). Look us up when you get out to the upper left hand corner of the U.S.

Jamie Hascall

Ross Miller
02-19-2001, 01:47 AM
Nobody ever asks me how to spell “Miller.” I feel so common. But I do get junk mail for “Rose Miller.” Don’t know her.

Frank Hagan
02-19-2001, 01:51 AM
Interesting ... as the father of daughters, I worry about these kinds of things for THEM, but not for me. I've been involved in on-line "stuff" since 1986 or so, and have never used a handle except when it was required ... I remember thinking I had absolutely no creativity when a Disneyland-orientated BBS required "handles" and I went through about 5, and then went completely blank. I realized I only know 5 Disney characters ... and didn't deserve to go to Disneyland.

So I've always been a bit envious of the creative types that can wrap up their personality into a self-inflicted nickname ("inflicted" due to the nature of my childhood nicknames!) But this thread did have one positive impact on me: I checked my profile, and lo and behold, had my OLD email, and OLD web page address. And I admitted I lived in "Oxnard" instead of using the ruse "Channel Islands."

cs
02-19-2001, 07:19 AM
My user name started out as Chad Smith. When I updated my e-mail I ended up having to get a new user name and thus I ended up with cs. My real name is Robert Chadwick Smith. Ross you talk about having a common name try checking into a hotel with the name Robert Smith. But my profile has always been honest.

Chad Smith

Jeff Kelety
02-19-2001, 09:53 AM
Hmmm. Never occurred to me to use anything other than my real name. You think some young girl disguised as an old man will try to take advantage of me?

Jamie, how do I know it's really you I've invited to PT? Be kind.

jgk

clancy
02-19-2001, 10:47 AM
Most people think I'm using an alias when I meet them in person. My entire life I have been known by my last name. When I add the Richard Michael Patrick most people tell me that "Clancy" sounds better. Using my "real" name just seemed like the natural thing to do here on the forum. My usual internet moniker is Inuitsea. http://media5.hypernet.com/~dick/ubb/wink.gif

scottek
02-19-2001, 11:00 AM
pronounced Scotty K is a carry over from one of my college nicknames.
The "e" stands for engineer (also from college) and helps to not confuse me with the "Scott the lawyer" or "Scot the computer wiz".
The "K" is for Kennard - which you could have gotten from my email address.
If you want my social secruity number you will have to search for yourself, though I might suggest looking through my old college records or contacting old landlords. I will warn you though, my credit rating ain't so good, and I may be wanted in a few states. LOL!

-YF Scott

PS. The "YF" stands for "Your Friend" or "Yours Friendly" cause I am a friendly type person.

Will
02-19-2001, 01:06 PM
I was amazed and outraged when I found out my state government had been selling the data provided on drivers licences to marketing firms . That was a wakeup call for me .

Matt J.
02-19-2001, 01:07 PM
I refuse to be goaded by remarks implying that people with apparent aliases are insincere, or by peer pressure to tell you that my Emerson is my middle name, a family name, and my real name is Matt.... damn, it worked. Well, last name's Joyce, no relation to Thom (but I work with a guy named Thomas who also refuses to use "Tom" as a spelling).

I use emerson because I like it and it's been my username for quite awhile now, no real secret. Athough this is a different kind of place than most on the net, I didn't know it when I logged on, so it never occured to me to use my real name...

rickprose
02-19-2001, 03:16 PM
OK, i confess, you caught me! it's really rick prose, two separate words, damnit, and i'm really, really sorry...

TomFF
02-19-2001, 03:49 PM
I was wondering. How long do threads go? Will we lose this one? Should we continue with another thread call "True Confessions?"

Hake, oopps, I mean Tom

Ed Harrow
02-19-2001, 06:05 PM
LOL, every time I saw YF Scott I thought "Your Friend Scott".

kpenokie
02-19-2001, 06:12 PM
JohnRSmith- cmon can't be real! Must be a teen age waif-- but where do you keep getting those pictures of that distinguished looking salty guy?

Bruce Hooke- So why do you think the purveyor of religious material decided on anonymity?

Will- now we know you are from Michigan. Or do other Gov's do that too?

I'm usually anonymous because there are several thousand spouse abusing husbands out there who would like to take a piece out of me. For some reason I felt safe here.

Ken (I've heard all the jokes) Penokie.

Wayne Jeffers
02-19-2001, 09:52 PM
I used my real name, mainly due to lack of imagination to come up with something both clever and salty.

I resisted the temptation to choose as a user name the name of the village nearest which I live and through which my mail is delivered. BTW, it is not Athens. That is the nearest city of any consequence. For anyone who is curious, my zip is 45723.

Wayne

seafox
02-19-2001, 11:40 PM
Cool! it did remember my name and password my old user name was jeffery and when there was that trouble recent with all the flames on the thread indes I guess it got burned up. seafox is the name of my very small company [ right now it seems we need the ghost busters equipment to see the cash flow in, lets not even think of the out...;) ] I based it on the captian charector in Dan Parkinsons great revolitionary war novels the Fox and the faith [ also...the fury, the fortune and one other] It is a goal to strive for

as to worry about revealing ones identity there is a cartoon that lodges in my mind from april 15.
A bureocrat walks into the office of the head of the IRS " boss we just got a petition with a milion people demanding the end of the internal revinue service" and the boss answer " good good send it right over to the audit department and tell them to get on it"
its not that I belive they are evil its just the number one job of any one in a burocracy if the perpetuation of their job, and so many are in a position to cause a person life to be made much harder.
we celibrate the courage of lech Wolincia from the gadansk shipyards but at least he was widely know and in a way protected by his fame but the second and third level leaders whose names were not widely known some of those people ended up dead.
here I wonder how much worrying over taxes shortens people lives, and how many have found that being a little excentric or think differently turns their lives into at least a hastle. for the story that is national like the 80 year old woman Paul Harvey told who spent 40 years turning her yard into an arboretum of great plains plants is ordered to cut down those weeds and plant grass, or the state wide story of a 11 year old boy who is running hia own anual nursery busness from his home but gets shut down be the zoning officer there are thousands battered and rebuffed bureocrats and officals and fenced in by rules regulations that they don't even try.

Ed Abby in Vox Desereto wrote that unless you let he goverment take your money they will throw you in jail and if you resist that they will shoot you.

I doubt my words will change any of your thoughts but maybe they will at least entertain you
Jeffery

Mike Field
02-20-2001, 07:49 AM
Well, you're right, Seafox, you're words haven't changed my thoughts. But that's only because I was thinking the same things already.

Politicians, generally, are among the lower forms of life in my opinion. And most bureaucrats aren't alive at all -- at least, their brains aren't. (To be fair to them, they're mostly required to leave their brains at the door anyway (what they had of them to start with,) and after a couple of years of that they no longer know how to think for themselves at all. So they simply follow the rule-book. And the rules, as we know, are made by that low form of life, politicians.

-------------

I've already posted this somewhere else today, but here seems an equally good place to put it. These words are by Vyvyan Holland, the son of Oscar Wilde, as he wrote them to another great man of letters, Compton Mackenzie --

"I note, from my morning paper today, that you have called the Tories 'a lot of boneheads.' Why pick on the Tories particularly? Surely, ALL politicians are boneheads? Otherwise, they would not be politicians. I am a Liberal myself -- that is to say, I have no particular political creed except that most politicians are scoundrels, and the majority of them are only out for what they can get for themselves and don't really care one hoot in Hell for the countires of which they are, were, or would like to be Dictators."

The Wildes had a way with words, didn't they?

adampet
02-20-2001, 08:57 AM
Fun Thread! I just shorten Pettengill out of habit. Not to mention the ways it gets misspelled. It started in college, back in the early '80s, when chat rooms were just getting started. Now I have a 10 year old who just got his first e-mail address and I have to be cautious. We've been through the rules more times than I care to think ( No real names! No Hometown, much less address) I've got to screen ALL e-mail. That said SWMBO has internet friends we met in England who were very nice. I guess part of the anonymity question is where you surf and how old you are. As has been said before not too many teenage girls posing as old men around here! Other places?.......

Beowolf
02-20-2001, 03:12 PM
All right already,

I don't know why I picked a name other than my own. Perhaps out of habit. I used to roam the WBS pages in my younger years and it was easy to spout off about anything when you did it under a fictitious name (Such as "The Blue and Silver Wave," or "Spielman Rocks!") I guess I'm just too content for that now. Don't really know why I picked Beowolf (Or why I misspelled it.) Guess there's always that little piece of me that wants to be a hero. (Just for one day.)
Of course that brings me back to the notion that to some extent we all abandon who we are in here and become who we strive to be. (Believe it or not, I'm not nearly as handsome in real life as I appear to be in here!)

And as I cast off the fear of being lured in by young predatory females, I sign off to you all.

Take Care

Jeff Hackborn

There, I said it. Now can I get a hug or something?

Andrew
02-21-2001, 08:32 AM
Jeff, have you seen "The 13th Warrior"? It is based on Michael Crichton's rework of Beowulf, Eaters of the Dead.

MacIvor
02-21-2001, 11:27 AM
hey,Andrew,that movie(13th Warrior)was worth watching if only for the scene that opens with two Vikings howling with laughter while straining at the helm, then pans back to reveal mountainous seas about to swallow their infinitely tiny open boat.Wooden boats,iron men...or insanity?

Bayboat
02-21-2001, 01:18 PM
Back to the politicians for a moment. The Bayboat theory of politics is that only second-raters ever run for office; the first-raters have no desire to do so.

As for the subject of this thread, "Bayboat" derives from Bay Boat Works, a small business building skiffs and dinghies and repairing them. Clint Edwards, Sole Proprietor. Ex-shipwright, ex-yacht captain, ex-USN, ex-boat bum, ex-professor, etc. etc. Too old for any of these now, so I just mess around with little boats and teach others to do the same.

Beowolf
02-21-2001, 02:53 PM
Nope. Haven't seen it yet. Keep meaning to, but everytime we rent something with Banderos or Cloony in it, SWMBO gets that funny dreamy look in her eyes and starts asking what I think they're like in real life, and whether or not they might have listed phone numbers and stuff like that. http://media5.hypernet.com/~dick/ubb/smile.gif

Gotta Go. SWMBO was reading this over my shoulder and now she's darting off to the video store.

Take Care.

Jeff.

ken mcclure
02-23-2001, 09:05 PM
I can't use my real name. It's Oliver Clozeroff.

T.KAMILA
02-24-2001, 07:49 AM
My only regret is that I used caps on my name. At the time I didn’t know I was shouting. Can I change that?
As for the fear of letting people know who you are, I think the cats out of the bag. The days of anonymity are gone forever. To counter this we might have to become civil and respectful to each other.

Tom

Jim H
02-18-2004, 03:20 PM
smile.gif

Ian McColgin
02-18-2004, 06:47 PM
I use my name because I am proud of it and because a life's work as community organizer/outside agitator taught me that in my line, it's better to have it all right out front. Unlike some organizers who have had more colorful experiences, I've only had two creditable death threats. Always figured that if I use my own name, at least the body will be more easily identified.

But in Massachusetts and I think the whole nation, it is not against the law to provide an alias 'provided there is no attempt to deceive.' Were I to write a letter to the editor and sign it 'Rush Limbaugh,' that would be an attempt to deceive, though probably not a successful attempt.

There's a long American tradition of anonomous pamphlets and pen names and such. And almost every actor works under a trade name. The idea is that the thing should stand on its own merits, without the lustre of a fameous name or great authority to back it up.

I think a forum like this could well be great fun for various woodenboat luminaries, some of whom preferr the freedom of being just one of the gang rather than the illustrious naval archetect whomever. Others don't worry that their reputation will tilt the discussion.

A very personal choise.

Peter Malcolm Jardine
02-18-2004, 07:15 PM
I don't worry about it too much. With a name like Jardine, guess what I got at school.. :D

Bruce Taylor
02-18-2004, 07:53 PM
Well if it isn't ol' SARDINE! :D

huisjen
02-18-2004, 09:29 PM
I think some that choose to hide behind aliases are worried that if people find out their real name, then they won't be allowed to run through the streets of Gotham City in their underwear anymore. They don't realize that nobody cares if they like to do that or not.

Dan

[ 02-18-2004, 09:31 PM: Message edited by: huisjen ]

Willin'
02-19-2004, 11:00 AM
As has been said previously, ain't no big thang.

Someone else already has my initials...MAC
Someone else has MarkC

When I was a kid I chose Michael for my confirmation name because my best friend was Mike D'Ramo, but I was still me.

I like the positve sound of the handle Willin' which I believe I am despite my inherently cynical, suspicious nature. Plus it's the title of a favorite song.

When I make reservations for dinner I go by Digby because I hate it when they call out Mark and there are 3 parties by that name all lookin' to scam my spot (which actually happened in California)

No matter what I call myself, it's still me you're talkin' to.

Cheers,

Digby
Willin'
Mark Carver

Harry Miller
02-19-2004, 02:05 PM
By Bruce Taylor (a while ago)
Besides, my name is so common it might as well belong to someone else.
I does. It's my mother's maiden name (Taylor not Bruce)
Maybe I'm your uncle smile.gif