PDA

View Full Version : Cell Phones with Zeiss Lenses & Hard Disks?

MJC
04-28-2005, 08:13 AM
Multi-megapixel, maxi-megabyte, MP3 music, global positioning cell phones? So small that stubby, bashed up, arthritic fingers can't press the buttons? Forget being able to use them if you have a tremor or a palsy!

I thought I was cool last year when I finally upgraded my clunker to a flip phone.

My phone's always with me, so in the last year I've stopped wearing a wrist watch, 'cause the phone always knows what time it is - and even updates automatically to/from Daylight Savings Time and changes time zones when I do.

And yesterday, after receiving three (3! ICFBI!) overdraft charges stemming from a temporary fit of insanity and advanced CRS involving my debit card, I decided to use the calculator feature to keep my debit account balance up-to-date.

So what neat things do you do with some of the non-phone features built into your cell phone?

John Bell
04-28-2005, 08:24 AM
"So what neat things do you do with some of the non-phone features built into your cell phone?"

I use mine to chock the wheels on my trailer! ;)

Seriously, other than an occaisional text message I only use mine as phone and phonebook. The best thing about my current phone is that I can manage the phonebook (300+ entries) on my PC over an IR connection.

Joe (SoCal)
04-28-2005, 08:25 AM
My next phone I will pick up in June when the new model comes out

http://online.wsj.com/public/resources/images/MK-AB463_PTECH09172003165633.jpg

Handspring Treo 650

It's everything you need, all in one.

Now you can use just one device Ė instead of many Ė to get it all done. The Treoô 600 smartphone from palmOne seamlessly combines a full-featured mobile phone and Palm Poweredô organizer with wireless email and text messaging, web browsing and even a digital camera Ė all in one device that's so small it fits right in your pocket. Plus, because everything is totally integrated Ė including the full QWERTY keyboard Ė itís amazingly easy to use.For me and my business it's perfect. I can sync with my laptop all my contacts via the Palm OS. Just search up a name or sync to an appointment in my date book and at any time just double click and it will call that contact. Take a photo of a house email it to a client search the MLS on the road. AMAZING. I can also always be connected to the WBF :D LOL

[ 04-28-2005, 09:27 AM: Message edited by: Joe ( Cold Spring on Hudson ) ]

paladin
04-28-2005, 08:57 AM
gee, norm...
do you do electronic design or software applications...?

WWheeler
04-28-2005, 09:02 AM
great gizmos, but ever droppped one in the water? We are going to buy a waterproof (manual) camera just to take on canoe trips.

Gresham CA
04-28-2005, 09:12 AM
If you drop them in fresh water they just go fool. If you drop them in salt water they go fool then DIE!

Dont ask me how I know this.

paladin
04-28-2005, 09:49 AM
interesting....i thought such analog design wuz fer dinosaurs like me.....my last 'toy was a wrist watch (more like pocket watch) using the radio down link to WWV as a reference for a clock and julian date calender........all based on the mars orbit and day length....and the toy before that was a two way wrist radio...dick tracy style...some dudes in Rockville, md bought the rights from chester gould before his death and wuz gonna build it for the Dick Tracy movie...it never got beyond the prototype.

Concordia..41
04-28-2005, 09:52 AM
Just waiting for Nextel/Motorola to offer it in my market...(and for the price to come down - this puppy is in the $800 range :eek: ) Steep even for a tech junkie like me ;)

http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photos/050427/050427_n91_hmed_11a.hmedium.jpg

Actually Motorola has one going out in the Japanese market, I just found the Nokia picture quicker.

[ 04-28-2005, 10:55 AM: Message edited by: Concordia..41 ]

Joe (SoCal)
04-28-2005, 09:56 AM
Getting one of these helps
http://www.thepocketsolution.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/PSI1579.main.jpg

http://www.thepocketsolution.com/images/waterthumb.jpg

One of these for regular cell phones when sailing

http://www.outdoor-family.com/images/waterproofcellphonebag.jpg

Concordia..41
04-28-2005, 10:15 AM
Joe - when sailing that's what the chart table is for. ;)

It's the heart-stopping double bounce from the cabin top to the toe rail to the dock (THANK YOU GOD!) that takes years off my life. :eek:

What I need and haven't seen lately is a good tether.

[ 04-28-2005, 11:19 AM: Message edited by: Concordia..41 ]

MJC
04-28-2005, 10:30 AM
What I need and haven't seen lately is a good tether.

Pretty soon they'll be small enough to fit in one of those waterproof cigarette pack cases with a lanyard. Mine almost fits, it does if I unscrew the antenna.

Edited to add: Duhhh, tether, right. I wonder if one of the units that uses all the connections on the bottom of the phone could be modified to serve as a tether?

[ 04-28-2005, 11:35 AM: Message edited by: MJC ]

Joe (SoCal)
04-28-2005, 10:33 AM
Margo, I think I posted a tale about me sailing last summer out on the skiff talking to my wife on the cell phone when I had to tack. The cell phone bounced off the rail and plop into the deep murky Hudson mid conversation. I had to race to the far shore where I knew there was a yacht club to call her and tell her I did not go over board with the phone smile.gif

Jack Heinlen
04-28-2005, 10:33 AM
Um, how 'bout encouraging your curmudgeon a bit? Unplug...o nevermind. smile.gif

Have you heard about the weird ****e happening in Britain? Happy Slapping, or like that. Kids, gangs of them as young as ten, beat up on a mate, or an adult, film it with a cameraphone, then post it on the web.

I immediately thought of "A Clockwork Orange".

Alex, where are you?

Joe (SoCal)
04-28-2005, 10:38 AM
Singing in the rain

[ 04-28-2005, 11:39 AM: Message edited by: Joe ( Cold Spring on Hudson ) ]

Concordia..41
04-28-2005, 10:45 AM
One of the yacht brokers around here has a nice tether, but itís a dedicated case for his phone model, and the tether just attaches as needed.

My problem is a near-constant in and out of the car, office, down the dock, jump on a boat, check something, run back to the car, etc.

If Iím going to be working on a boat for any amount of time, Iíve got a religious pattern of taking my cell phone off my hip and putting it in my shoe on the dock Ė car keys in left shoe/cell phone in right shoe (not that Iím obsessive compulsive or anythingÖ). I also have a similar drill for storing it aboard if weíre taking off or Iím working on an interior.

Itís the offloading stuff, think Iím done, put cell phone back on hip, and then notice the sail cover isnít zipped right, and jump back over the lifelines that causes another cell phone to go to the bottom of the river.
:rolleyes:

willmarsh3
04-28-2005, 12:57 PM
I think the cellphone manufacturers should build a round metal loop in the top of the phone. I tie a line to it to hang around my neck like I do with my camera - thus I never have to worry about setting it down somewhere or having it fall off and go bloop. The belt hooks don't work. Either they slip off or they break at the most casual brush against the wall. I think it would cost less than putting Pacman on the phone. Plus a lot more practical.

Will.

km gresham
04-28-2005, 01:01 PM
I answer mine when it rings and every time there's a person somewhere else talking to me! :D

Oh, and I look at it every now and then to see what time it is. smile.gif I just remembered about the clock a week or so ago. :rolleyes: smile.gif

[ 04-28-2005, 02:07 PM: Message edited by: km gresham ]

Meerkat
04-28-2005, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by Norman Bernstein:
Yes, paladin... my specialty is precision circuit design and related firmware, including small microprocessor design and anything which is analog related. I concentrate, usually, on high resolution, high accuracy measurement.

My part in the cell phone development is relatively minor, basically just to prototype a demonstration system of a new device.<span style="color: red; font-size: 2em;">Hello! ;)

Meerkat
04-28-2005, 03:44 PM
Software geek more like - with a strong interest/history in embedded widgetry.

Got an idea or 2 I'd love to chat with you about... ;)

Meerkat
04-28-2005, 04:34 PM
I'm no stranger to soldering irons: my first several computers came as bags of parts - one (or more) per board! ;) 64kb (yes, KB) Seals memory boards were good for a restful evening: 64 sockets for the 1kx1 static memory chips, plus interface and regulator chips (S-100 had 1 or 2 regulators on every board, depending on whether or not it required 5V or 5 and 12V).

Alas, the days of soldering irons are largely gone! :eek: My most recent reading on the subject of homebrew went something like this:

* Put solder mask over everything except what you want to solder.

* Arrange to have little blobs of solder appear at the right locations.

* GLUE the parts down, making sure the leads are over the solder blobs.

* Toss the whole thing in a toaster oven and watch until the solder just melts - about 415F or "dark toast" ;)

This is the homebrewer's edition of modern circuit board construction using SMT.

YIKES!!!!!!!!!!!