PDA

View Full Version : Politics 9-15-04

km gresham
09-15-2004, 06:54 AM
And so it's come to this. The hero of Chappaquiddick is coming to rescue the hero of Cambodia. Well, this should be good. I think the only place Kennedy is revered is in Mass.

http://news.yaho o.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=694&u=/ap/20040914/ap_on_el_pr/kerry_kennedy_1&printer=1 (http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=694&u=/ap/20040914/ap_on_el_pr/kerry_kennedy_1&printer=1)

Random thought on this from Neal Boortz:

This hasn't been a great month for John Kerry so far. But if you thoughts that things were going badly for The Poodle ... wait until you hear this. Ted Kennedy is going to hit the campaign trail for Kerry. Great! Bring him on! Fantastic! What a wonderful reminder to the voters that John Kerry is the most liberal Senator in the U.S. Senate! Even more liberal than Kennedy?

I feel compelled to say something nice about Kerry ... so here goes. He save his daughter's hamster when it fell off a dock into the water. Kennedy wouldn't lift a finger to safe a young woman suffocating in his car in four feet of water.

[ 09-15-2004, 08:00 AM: Message edited by: km gresham ]

km gresham
09-15-2004, 07:12 AM
Big trouble at the Kerry camp. Last sentence is prophetic and an indication why most Americans are afraid of Kerry as president.

Top Dem Rips Kerry Campaign

NEW YORK, Sept. 14, 2004

“What I’m looking for is a Karl Rove and I don’t know where our Karl Rove is.”
Tony Coelho

Longtime Democratic insider Tony Coelho lashed out at the John Kerry presidential campaign, characterizing it as a campaign in chaos. With yet another appointment of a former Clinton administration staffer to Kerry’s team on Tuesday, Coelho argues the problem is worsening.

“There is nobody in charge and you have these two teams that are generally not talking to each other,” says Coehlo, who ran Al Gore's campaign early in the 2000 presidential race. As Coelho and other detractors see it, there is a civil war within the Kerry campaign.

Sen. Ted Kennedy’s former staff members, Mary Beth Cahill, the Kerry campaign manager, and veteran Democratic strategist Bob Shrum are at odds with recent additions who served under President Clinton.

“Here are two groups that have never gotten along and have fought, and it is a lot over money,” says Coehlo. "Because in the Democratic Party the consultants get paid for the creation and the placement of [advertising]. Republicans only pay you for the creation.”

Coelho, a former congressman who served as House majority whip for the Democrats from 1987 to 1989, does not question any of the Kerry staff's sincerity in wanting to unseat President Bush. But his comments highlight a longstanding battle within the Democratic Party for national campaign control.

“In 1988, Dukakis: Shrum is involved. In 1992, Clinton: nothing to do with Shrum. They don’t want Shrum in any way,” Coelho says. “In 1996, they do not want Shrum in any way. In 2000, Gore doesn’t want Clinton people. We go forward, 2004, all of a sudden it’s the Shrum/Kennedy people.”

And Coelho adds that the Kerry campaign staffers “are in serious trouble now, so they want to bring in the Clinton people.”

The Democratic scuttlebutt has long been filled with concern over Shrum’s losing streak. He remains 0 for 7 in presidential elections, from George McGovern to Michael Dukakis to Al Gore. When Coelho resigned as chairman of the Gore campaign, Shrum, in large part, took the reins.

The Kerry campaign insists this is not the case; it says Mary Beth Cahill is still in charge. But last week, the appointment of strategist John Sasso as a senior adviser began to belie such claims.

Calls and e-mails to Cahill and the Kerry campaign were not immediately returned.

“What I’m looking for is a Karl Rove and I don’t know where our Karl Rove is.” Coelho says. “I think Sasso is a Karl Rove. I’m very high on Sasso because I don’t think he plays Machiavellian games. I think he very sincerely wants to win. I think he is very big on Kerry. And I think he’s tough enough to say, ‘Goddammit, come together.’”

Sources inside the Kerry campaign say the Democratic nominee was fuming that his advisers told him to ignore charges by the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth that Kerry lied about his war record and betrayed fellow veterans by testifying to Congress about alleged atrocities committed by U.S. soldiers.

The Kerry campaign never countered the Swift Boat charges, the allegations persisted and Kerry’s bad August ensued.

Kerry led most polls leading into August. By the second week of September, President Bush had come back and now has a four-to-seven point lead over Kerry, depending on the poll.

“Our problem here is a national message,” Coelho says. “What is it that we [Democrats] are? If you go to Kerry, that’s a disaster because the candidate should not be involved in solving disputes or the creation of his message.

“You need a [campaign] boss, somebody who says ‘Shut up, we are going to work this out.’ Not someone who can go around to Kerry, and that’s Shrummy’s forte,” Coelho continues, speaking of Shrum. The Kerry campaign has over the past week refuted speculation that either Shrum or Sasso are running the campaign.

But in a sign of how seriously the Kerry campaign is taking its dive in the polls, a trio of ex-Clinton staffers has come aboard recently, including former Clinton press secretary Mike McCurry who signed up on Tuesday. He joins Joe Lockhart, another onetime Clinton press secretary, and Joel Johnson, the former president’s legislative strategist.

The call for the Clintonistas, in McCurry’s view, illustrates that Democrats are circling the wagons.

“Democrats are sort of coming out of places where normally they might sit on the sidelines,” McCurry says, “because there is a strong sense that we really need to get in there and try to help, because it is an important election.”

McCurry emphasizes that he is not in charge. “I’m not pretending that I’m taking any major strategic role,” he says. “I think they’ve got too many gurus in that campaign. I’m going to be a road guy and help out and make sure Kerry’s as good as he can be.”

McCurry defends the Kerry camp and says he doesn’t think they got off message in August. “I think Bush got on message,” he says.

“I think [Mr. Bush] had a much better August than he had had prior,” McCurry says. “So I think part of this is a reaction to the fact that [the Bush campaign] sharpened up their operation and had a good convention on their side. We just have got to do our bit, on our side.”

McCurry’s addition followed a call this past weekend from campaign manager Mary Beth Cahill.

“I said I would think about it,” McCurry says. “And then when I talked to Lockhart and said, ‘What’s your assessment of what you really need?’ it was pretty clear that he could use the help. And he’s a guy that has been there for me so I wanted to help him.”

McCurry was quick to speak of himself as a deputy, not the sheriff. Though Coelho questions Cahill’s ability to run the campaign, he does not question her managerial ability.

“She’s basically a C.O.O, and a very good one. I think she’s a very effective administrator,” Coelho continues. “What McCurry represents is further chaos because McCurry’s not in charge. If they were telling me that McCurry’s in charge, then I’d feel better. I’m not sure he’s the right guy, but I’d feel better.”

Of Shrum’s role as adviser, Coelho says “I’m not anti-Shrummy here. What I’m saying is that you need to have someone in charge and I think Sasso’s capable of it.”

“If [Sasso] is in charge then Goddammit, say it and stop having the speculation of who's in charge because that’s worse,” Coelho says. “It also starts to impact in regard to the whole image of leadership. If someone can’t control a message in a presidential campaign, how are you going to be a good president?”

By David Paul Kuhn
©MMIV, CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Joe (SoCal)
09-15-2004, 07:26 AM
New Report Shows Bush Increasing Government Secrecy

President Bush has said that he wants to "create a culture of transparency"1 in government, but according to a new report to be released today by Rep. Henry Waxman (D-CA), his administration is going to extraordinary lengths to increase government secrecy.

The Waxman report is consistent with earlier signs that the Bush administration is doing everything it can to limit the amount of information the public can get from its government. Last month, a coalition of 30 organizations issued a report saying "Secrecy has increased dramatically in recent years under the policies of the current administration." The report found that "the number of documents being classified has jumped 40 percent from 2001" and that the number of documents declassified in 2003 was about one fifth the amount declasssified in 1997. The result "is an increasing backlog of requests filed under the Freedom of Information Act."2

To find Waxman's full report see both his personal office website,3 and the House Government Reform Committee's Minority web site4 today.

Sources:

"President Bush Remarks at Summit of the Americas Ceremony," WhiteHouse.gov, 1/12/04.

"White House takes secrecy to new levels, coalition reports," San Francisco Chronicle, 8/27/04.

Website of Representative Henry Waxman, 9/04.

Government Reform Minority Office Website, 9/04.

LeeG
09-15-2004, 07:42 AM
it's come to this

Puddintane
09-15-2004, 04:25 PM
Romance Rundown
Who's hooking up and breaking up in Hollywood? Plus, Martha's big mouth

by Kat Giantis
MSN Entertainment
July 19, 2004

Have Cameron Diaz and Justin Timberlake run out of gas on the bumpy road to love? Us Weekly believes the photogenic A-listers are "on the rocks," blaming distance, lifestyle issues (he has an entourage, she doesn't; he wants to commit; she doesn't), and persistent squabbling for the cracks that have formed in their 1-year-old relationship.

(Story Continues Below...)

Sponsored Sites
Dish Network Digital TV Programming
Order a free Dish Network satellite system to watch all digital TV programming. Free upgrade to DVR and HD receivers. Local channels available. Free installation. (www.allamericandish.biz)
Hitachi Digital Plasma Television
Experience the beauty of true cinema with the new Hitachi UltraVision CineForm HDTV Series. The combination of Hitachi original technologies and design delivers this cinematic experience. (www.hitachi.us)

"I'm not sure they've broken up, but I know they've been fighting badly for a while," a Timberlake insider tells the mag. "They don't seem very happy. There are definitely problems there." Not so, friends tell the New York Daily News, insisting the publicity-shy pair is still very much together and that Diaz has simply been busy in Tokyo promoting "Shrek 2."

In what could potentially be very bad news for those who enjoy really ooky public displays of affection, the New York Post claims joined-at-the-hip lovebirds Mischa Barton and Brandon Davis called it quits shortly after smiling for the cameras at the Prada store opening in Los Angeles on July 15. That's news to the twiggy "O.C." starlet's rep, who assures the paper her client is "still dating" the party-loving heir.

What's the bestest part of being 18, according to Lindsay Lohan? "... Now I can talk to guys that are 21 without people saying it's bad," she tells Access Hollywood. So, does that include her rumored 24-year-old boyfriend Wilmer Valderrama? "He's a really great guy and I think that anyone would be lucky to date him," she gushes. "He is really, really sweet and a great dancer." When asked whether the "That '70s Show" actor is a "friend with benefits" (who comes up with these questions anyway?), the hypermammiferous "Mean Girls" star laughed, blushed, and said, "Yeah, friends with benefits." Sadly, the "friends with benefits" question was just the warm-up, as the hard-hitting Access reporter segued into this equally compelling query: "And is he a fabulous smoocher?" Responded the flustered Lohan, "No, I don't know. I don't know. I have a 10-year-old sister who might be watching this!" In related news, the Hollywood Reporter says Lohan will team with "Drumline" cutie Nick Cannon for an untitled romantic comedy in which she'll play an aspiring fashionista whose blind date with Cannon's character turns literal -- he's vision-impaired.

Good news and bad news for Kristin Davis. The good news is she's landed another Emmy nod for playing the uptight Charlotte on "Sex and the City." The bad news? She may be attending the ceremony solo. London's Sky News says Davis, 39, has called it quits with actor Damian Lewis, with whom she's been romantically linked since last year. "They hit it off immediately and it was all very intense but it flagged because they were working so far apart," an insider tells Sky. The actress has played it coy when asked about Lewis, describing him as just a friend. Lewis has also been reserved, but said back in May he wouldn't mind if Davis found a job across the pond: "Let's just say it would be nice to have a coffee with her occasionally."

Leave it to the paparazzi to out a pregnancy. Mira Sorvino, 36, who was rumored to be in the family way before she wed Chris Backus, 22, was caught by cameramen sporting a suspiciously bulging belly while honeymooning in Italy. Now Us Weekly confirms the actress, who tied the knot on June 11 in a quickie Santa Barbara civil ceremony before retying it on July 2 in an Armani-filled fashion fest on the island of Capri, is awaiting the pitter-patter of little feet. Mira's rep isn't commenting other than telling the mag the newlyweds "are very happy."

Jessica Alba is zipping her lip over whether she's batting a thousand with New York Yankee shortstop Derek Jeter. "I don't talk about who I'm dating," the in-demand actress tells the New York Post. "It's very hard to have a functional relationship. You have to keep it as private as possible no matter who you are." Alba, who's been hard at work on the highly anticipated Robert Rodriguez flick "Sin City" and just inked a deal to play Sue Storm in "The Fantastic Four," has reportedly been seeing Jeter since mid-June. The "Honey" star, who was spotted last week signing baseballs at the Tigers-Yankees game in Detroit, was previously engaged to her "Dark Angel" co-star Michael Weatherly, while Jeter's long list of exes includes Mariah Carey.

Unlike the more media-savvy Alba, Keira Knightley, 19, still needs to learn that publicly raving about your boyfriend is probably a surefire way to jinx the relationship -- and ensure your effusive remarks will come back to bite you on the butt. But the "King Arthur" beauty wants the world to know her live-in model BF Jamie Dornan, 22, whom she's been dating for seven months, is the bee's knees. "Jamie's great," she tells the London Mirror. "I'm mad about him. He keeps me sane when things get stressful and we always have fun together." Still, she's quick to dismiss rumors of an impending aisle walk. "I'm way too young," Keira insists. "One day in the future, maybe, but marriage and kids are just not on my mind at the moment."

Can you identify this star couple from the description a so-called friend gave People magazine? "He left everything for her. He left his wife, his kids. He is obsessed with her ... There is something about this girl. It's not that she's the best singer or actor or wife or girlfriend. But there is something about this girl that is intoxicating." If you guessed the obsessed guy and moderately talented multi-hyphenate (as described by their "pal") are undercover newlyweds Marc Anthony and Jennifer Lopez, give yourself a prize. The blabber-mouthed (and hyperbolic) friend adds of the down-low lovers, "To enter that world that is Jennifer Lopez is like entering heaven. You sit in the lap of luxury. When you are with her it's like being with the king. The real world doesn't exist anymore."

Martha's New Recipe: Take One Large Foot, Salt Lightly, Place in Mouth
One is a revered Nobel Peace Prize-winning international icon who spent 27 years in prison for his fierce opposition to apartheid. The other is a multi-millionaire who can show you how to make a delicious hand-dipped ice cream bar or mean papier-mâché pumpkin. No, it's not a new buddy pic starring Chris Tucker and Jackie Chan -- it's a tenuous connection that exists only in the mind of Martha Stewart, who told Barbara Walters last week of her impending jail time for lying about a 2001 stock sale, "Many, many good people have gone to prison. Look at Nelson Mandela." Stewart will spend five months in jail ("I could do it," Stewart told Walters. "I'm a really good camper. I can sleep on the ground.") and another five months under house arrest at her 153-acre Bedford, New York, estate (we should all be so lucky).

"Superman" Flying High
OK guys, last time we use this line, we swear: Look! Up in the sky! It's a bird! It's a plane! It's the long-gestating, trouble-filled "Superman" movie, which might not be a Krypton-sized disaster after all. Just a week after "Charlie's Angels" director McG bowed out of the superhero franchise (and a couple years after equally inappropriate choice Brett Ratner bailed), Bryan Singer, the man who successfully brought the "X-Men" to life, has inked a deal to resurrect the Man of Steel, reports Variety.

"My interest in Superman dates back many, many years," Singer tells the trade. "In fact, it was the Richard Donner classic film [starring Christopher Reeve] that was my day-to-day inspiration in shaping the X-men universe for the screen. I feel that Superman has been late in his return and it is time for him to fly again."

Filming is scheduled to begin late this year in Australia. No word on who'll don Supe's cape and unforgiving tights, but the trade says J. J. Abrams' original Lex Luthor-heavy script has been tossed. Singer is expected to tap "X-Men 2" scribes Michael Dougherty and Dan Harris for his "new take" on the Last Son of Krypton.

In other director shuffling news, Joe Carnahan, whose biggest credit to date is the buzz-heavy but little-seen crime flick "Narc," has dropped out of the third installment of the "Mission: Impossible" franchise over "creative differences," report the trades. Tom Cruise and producing partner Paula Wagner are said to be narrowing down a list of about six potential directors, and cameras will reportedly roll as scheduled next month in Berlin, with a release date still planned for June 29, 2005.

"24" Cleans House
Things sure are going to be lonely for Jack Bauer next season on "24." ... Warning: spoilers ahead. Stop reading now if you don't want to know. We're not kidding... According to Variety, almost all those faces you've come to know and mistrust (except, of course, for Kiefer Sutherland) will be gone as series regulars when the hit Fox show's fourth season premieres in January. Other spoiler-ish tidbits: President Palmer (Dennis Haysbert) is out as Commander-in-Chief and the long-suffering Bauer, last seen sobbing like a little girl in his SUV, no longer works for CTU. No word on Jack's new profession, but it's a good guess he ain't working retail. Meanwhile, Reiko Aylesworth, who played humorless CTU agent Michelle for the past two seasons, is taking her crime-fighting skills to "CSI," where she'll play a (likely humorless) detective. Variety says her casting is not related to the recent axings of Jorja Fox and George Eads.

More in Celebs

Photo Galleries
Celebrity Interviews

Rate this article:

JimD
09-15-2004, 04:31 PM
I always thought the nation of Vietnam was the hero of Cambodia for standing up to Pol Pot when the rest of the world just stood there and watched him murder tens of thousands of Cambodians.