PDA

View Full Version : Typical Aussie Cusine for LilMess

NormMessinger
05-20-2004, 10:59 AM
So I get this email from my Granddaughter:

To: Norm Messinger <ngmessinger@cox.net>
Subject: Australia

I'm doing Australia for my family history project, and I need to bring in some kind of Australian food for reading. Can you ask your australian friends if there are any easy australian foods I can make?

Love,

Charlia

Realizing kangaroo and crocodile is not easy to find in Wisconson and a 12 year old is not a great chef, what might we suggest? Or is it just in the name, as in "Yabbies in green polenta (http://australiancuisine.tripod.com/yabbies.htm), for instance.

Thanks.

Paul Pless
05-20-2004, 11:08 AM
VEGEMITE

I'm sorry, I just couldn't resist. :D

Andrew Craig-Bennett
05-20-2004, 11:12 AM
Meat pies.

Andrew Craig-Bennett
05-20-2004, 02:00 PM
Alex has a pen pal in Australia; Alex sent him some Marmite and got some Vegemite in return; Alex now says he prefers Vegemite.

Still, meat pies would be easier.

Meerkat
05-20-2004, 02:11 PM
I don't recall any specifically Aussie food from my time there, unless it was grey sausages ("hotdogs"), liberally doused in red food coloring (dying only the surface) or bacon with strange gristly knobs in it (very well done thank you!). I did have some excellent breakfast sausages, but the eggs fried in lard where a bit too much. The tubulur bread (baked in can-like tins) was a kick. smile.gif

Greg H
05-20-2004, 04:28 PM
Beet root sanwiches

Floaters :D

Pineapple Pizza with just a hint of tomato sauce

Pavlova

Mcd's Cheeseburgers with a big slice of BeetRoot

I survived on meat pies and fishn' chips

Beer

NormMessinger
05-20-2004, 04:36 PM
Hello! Anybody awake in Austrailia? tongue.gif

I see Amazon sells kangaroo meat, only $20 a pound. How much would it take to feed a class of 6th graders?

Meerkat
05-20-2004, 06:36 PM
Oh yeah, there was one thing: fast food hamburgers served with a fried egg on top. They also seem to (or did) generally serve a steak (at dinner time) with a fried egg.

Paul Pless
05-20-2004, 06:49 PM
Its kind of interesting that the Aussies seem to be conspicuously absent from this thread. Maybe you retitle it - you know something absoflaminglutely trollish. Or we could just use this venue as a place to lob invectives about the Aussie's lack of taste (Fosters for instance). A few more posts like these and I'm sure they will show up!

You could serve roadkill for instance, and don't they eat a large variety of both tree bark and digustingly named bugs like juliiamba maggots.

:D :D :D

Of course its just as likely that some well Known Auklanders will show up and join us.

John B
05-20-2004, 07:10 PM
Yeah, those witchety grub eaters. :D
You can't suggest pavlova because thats a Kiwi invention that the Aussies keep trying to claim.

Ahhhhh. something satisfying about casting the line and just sitting back in the sun waiting for the first bite....

Paul Pless
05-20-2004, 07:14 PM
Thou jarring fat-kidneyed codpiece!

Thou warped ill-nurtured minnow!

Thou loggerheaded fool-born pumpion!

Thou mangled dizzy-eyed barnacle!

Jeff, that site is great. I tried to stop sooner, but each next insult was greater than the last. Take that you Aussies.

Paul

htom
05-20-2004, 07:49 PM
Well, I've heard there's a dish called "shrimp on the Barbie", but Barbie dolls are kinda pricy for a kid lunch (and probably not very digestable, parents will object)!

Del Lansing
05-20-2004, 07:51 PM
To bad this wasn't brought up last Thursday, couldn't sent some road-kill-roo. Saw the poor thing lying out on the pike. Musta been someones pet they couldn't keep no more.

WFK
05-20-2004, 08:17 PM
Geeze Del,.....that is a pity. I suppose one could just cook up some lamb until it's tough as leather. I couldn't warm up to it, but it seem to be a real crowd pleaser the last time I visited.

Paul Pless
05-20-2004, 08:19 PM
They do tend to overcook down there don't they. :D

NormMessinger
05-20-2004, 09:09 PM
Ah well. I guess we will just have to run by one of the elocal Outback restaraunts and pick up some carry out. Should be close enough? On the other hand it is tomorrow Downunder so maybe they've already forgotten about me.

Paul Pless
05-20-2004, 09:22 PM
Weird.

They're usually kinda pesty. You no show up univited, and won't leave till they've gotten everybody all riled up. Maybe there's some glitch in internet down there right now.

mmd
05-20-2004, 09:24 PM
Gee. Norm, I'd love to help but I have two strikes against me:

1.) I live just about as far away from Oz as you can get and still be on the same planet, so familiarity with the cuisine is pretty tenuous; and

2.) Although I like to cook and have quite an extensive collection of cookbooks and recipes, the only true Oz recipe I have is for a "Spicy Meat Loaf" that was given to my sister by her penpal from Brisbane, and it is about as exotic as the meatloaf recipe on the back of a Campbell's Soup can.

EDIT:

How about a recipe inspired by an Australian? It is sweet and messy enough to be a dream for a twelve-year-old. ;) :D

Peach Melba

Named for Australian opera soprano Nellie Melba (Dame Nellie Melba (May 19, 1861 - February 23, 1931), born Helen Porter Mitchell, was an Australian opera soprano, the first Australian to achieve international recognition in the form).
It is made from peaches and vanilla ice cream and served with Melba sauce.

It was created in Melba's honor by French chef Auguste Escoffier and first served at London's Carlton Hotel.

INGREDIENTS:

250g fresh raspberries
1 tbsp icing sugar
juice of 1 lemon
4 fresh peaches, peeled and sliced
4 scoops vanilla ice-cream
1 handful hazelnuts or flaked almonds to serve (optional)

To remove the skin from a peach, either immerse in boiling water for about 30 seconds or, preferably, peel with a very sharp knife (which preserves the flavour).

PREPARATION:

1. Combine the raspberries, sugar and lemon juice in a bowl then force the mixture through a sieve using the back of a spoon or a rubber spatula.
2. Arrange the peaches in serving glasses or bowls. Top with a scoop of ice-cream and pour over the raspberry sauce. Scatter over the hazelnuts or flaked almonds, if desired.

[ 05-20-2004, 10:49 PM: Message edited by: mmd ]

Phil Young
05-20-2004, 10:41 PM
G'day guys. Buggered if know where all me mates is, maybe still down the pub. Anyway, I guess you'd have ter say a barby's the way to go. Notcher bloddy gas bottle or charcoal cooker stuff. Get 4 bricks, lay them 2 sets, enough apart to rest a nice thick plate of steel on, 1/4 or 5/16 inch thick, couple of square feet. Light up a fire on the ground between the bricks, let it burn a while, and then let it burn down to coals. Lay the plate over the bricks and let it get nice and hot. Then bung on some snags, you know sausages, maybe some lamb chops, a bit of steak if you want to be fancy, but just snags is fine. Serve the snags in a bit of bread. Don't really need butter, just lay them diagonally, squirt some sauce on the snag, fold the bread up around the snag and eat em like a hot dog. Need to hold a can of beer in the other hand, maybe coke will do for school kids. That oughta do it. See yaz.

mmd
05-20-2004, 10:53 PM
Dag nabbit, Norm!! Peach Melba sounded so good I had to have one. So much for will-power, eh? (The will-power is easy; it's the won't-power that is tough!) Anyway, it looks like this:

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid117/p4cb12533fd031229e682b95c8686b69d/f898fbdd.jpg

(P.S. - I didn't have fresh peaches, so I cheated and used canned -MMD)

Wild Dingo
05-21-2004, 12:57 AM
bit of all right tucker eh Michael?! ;)

Granpaw youve got a bit of a choice ol son... now you can go get yerself a bit of that roo make a good ol fashioned roo stew... or maybe chuck it on the barbie ala Phil

Or yer go ala Phil either ways there yer be... you really dont want me ta be goin into me genuine Aussie outback tucker cookbook thats welded to the back of me ming do yer? :eek:

Oooh and do remember the beer mate... no self respectin Aussie tucker is eaten without a bit of the ol amber juice of the gods! nippers get coke! :cool:

Meerkat
05-21-2004, 01:08 AM
What the bloomin' onion is a "ming"? ;)

ion barnes
05-21-2004, 01:37 AM
Oh please Shane, tell us a couple, we need something unsual and entertaining. Please Shane, You can tell us, we are your friends, you know that, you can tell us, go on, please tell us, please?

Wild Wassa
05-21-2004, 01:42 AM
Norm, I'd like to second mmd, for the Peach Melba, or any Australian indigenous foods if they are available. Garlic Yabbies, a Yabby is small, they are best. You can probably buy fruit like Guavas and Quondongs in the US, ... excellent fruit. I know Yabbies are shipped into the US, from Port Stephens. What are your local markets like, exotic or are you not the shopper?

Meer, A 'ming' was a paper note, in a bogus currency, that was passed around the country as a protest and a joke. The ming was named after a Liberal Prime Minister, who was Ming the Merciless. Sir Robert Gordon Menzies, ... by today's standards, he looks like Father Christmas.

Warren.

ps, There are other ming types on 'my mind' as well.

[ 05-21-2004, 06:44 AM: Message edited by: Wild Wassa ]

doorstop
05-21-2004, 02:56 AM
Hey Shane, give Norm a recipe for damper....

shamus
05-21-2004, 03:22 AM
I'm really sorry to have missed this yesterday, being a great cook and all. Actually I don't think we have a national cuisine at all. Meals have got more interesting in the last thirty years as food from different cultures has penetrated the general conciousness, but there has not been time for a distinct national cuisine to emerge. Before 1950 it was mostly fairly stodgy sort of stuff based on british traditions, and meat was cheap so there was plenty of that.

What you will find though is some great family recipes that may have been going for generations. Two of these in our family rejoice in the names of "beastie" and "tomato slurry". Unfortunately I can't reveal the details, or I will be killed before midnight.

MarkC
05-21-2004, 03:51 AM
What is typical Australian food?

There is no typical Australian food. (There is no typical Australian!)

Having said that, one could make some 'much talked about Australian recipie styles'. First one that springs to mind is 'camping food' - a damper is a bread that one can 'bake' while camping:

flour
bit of salt
beer (room temperature - normally a Coopers Ale - a heavy beer with brewing 'bits' left in the bottle)

- mix together, knead, leave a bit to rise, bake for 20 or so mins and test. Works out bit like a scone mix. Nice eaten warm with butter. wrap dough in alu foil and put in/near camp fire or in old pot - experimentation required!! - a couple of trys at least!

One from my South Australian past is the 'hamburger' made with 2 slices of toast, a meat patty/paddy made out of beef mince with onions, a slice of tinned pinapple and slices of tinned beetroot.

The difference I notice between Europe/Australia is that Australians eat inexpensive meat, Beef (no BSE scare in Australia), sheep and lamb, chicken and pork, fish. It is cheap and mostly excellent quality.

Personally - 'we' eat a lot more shellfish, fish, native meats (Kangaroo - very popular in South Australia) - and I must mention Thai curries.

ahhh, now I'm getting homesick!

[ 05-21-2004, 05:04 AM: Message edited by: MarkC ]

Wild Wassa
05-21-2004, 04:05 AM
Kids like the damper centre filled with dried fruit, a few sweet spices and brown sugar. This is made in the shape of a snake, do the head as well. Coil around a stick and toast over an open fire or cover with coals, or just cook in an ordinary oven. Damper is a basic bush food. You get to bite the snake, ... this time.

Our most traditional biscuit is the ANZAC biscuit. They are cool. There is also a thing called a lamo'. A Lamington, little rectangular blocks of sponge cake, dipped into a slurry of cocoa, sugar and water, then covered in finely shredded coconut. Let the slurry set.

Aussies eat a lot of mangos and avocados. Avocado dip with Jatz biscuits, is found at every barby and posh do, this side of the black stump.

Warren.

[ 05-21-2004, 06:43 AM: Message edited by: Wild Wassa ]

Peter Page
05-21-2004, 04:38 AM
Kookaburras or Ha Ha pigeons are great split open and grilled over the coals of a good fire. Bunyip stew is very popular around here, in the south east. just cut up the bunyip up and add to the pot with a good piece of hoop snake and some potatoes. And don't forget the Pavlova for desert.

Wild Dingo
05-21-2004, 06:44 AM
aw geez Peter :( now yerve gone and done it aint yer?! strewth yer may as well tell em about the 5 hour tenderizin process for the kookaburra if you can stop the buggar laughin at yer that is... the galahs are even longer and yer need a flamin great 20lb sledge to do the tenderizin with...

sigh... alrighty then I will put yer straight Granpaw.. lilmessyone ;) I reckon yer better get Granpaw to drop a galah parrot kookaburra crow or any other tough ol bird dont worry about de=feathering it {thatsa da secret ingredient! :eek: } now hes gotta put the dead bird {sorry chicken its gotta be dead cause else it would fly away and cause all sortsa mess on granpaws head!} Anyways get him to put the bird on the choppin block and start whackin heck outta it with the sledge hammer until its nice and tender {somewhere around 5 or so hours}

Okay now get some vegies carrots onions chilli tomiatas potyatoes celery broccoli you know all them good tucker them ol fellas are always makin yer eat... just play along here lilmess its gonna be alright ridgeydidge! ;)
Now chop em all up into about 1/2in bits yep leave the skins on!!! dont peel em thats the good bits... okay now get gramps to get a carton of good Aussie beer... nope no US muck allowed Aussie brew only with this mix kiddo... so hes got his 12 big brownies right? thats the big bottles of beer... great now get the biggest meanest put yerve got maybe one of them turkey broiler things? big buggar!... okay so open and bung a couple of bottles of beer in that pot... right drink one bottle with gramps hes gonna need strengthenin by the time this is over tongue.gif

Now toss the vegies in... and boil it up... if youve got some fine roo hangin around toss that in nice 1in chunks is good... cook him up cookin cookin maybe an hour or two till its all nice and soft munchy right? okay slam in that bottle of worsteshire sauce lilmis just open it up and pour it all in thats the one... another bottle for gramps? sure!! give him 2 just to keep his hands active while hes helpin with this thing

Okay all done? get out the plates and damper... eerr yer did cook that damper didnt yer? well get to it!!! come on this tucker about ready to eat!! strewth Grampaw put the flamin beer down and give the nipper a hand eh?! :rolleyes:

Okay now the dampers done and ready did anyone tell yer NOT to cut that damper with a stainless knife? no? well DONT!!! break it open with yer fingers! okay so here we go

Plates at the ready? beer at the ready? stew at the ready? damper at the ready? what have we forgotten???

OOOOhhh right the galah, kookaburra, parrot or crow... never mind that for now... you will know its about right if yer watch gramps when he beins to slowly stagger and his speach slurrs real bad an he starts to hiccup a lot the tuckers ready... Ohhh and remember!!! Keep a bottle of Aussie amber fluids of the gods in each hand!!

Okay now ladle some of that mmmmmmmmmgrumblintummblyflaminyummmmmooohhh tucker into the plates big ladling for each here!! now a good sized chunk of damper and a spoon of buddah on the top... a fine bottle of Aussie brew and yer about ready

The peice de resisance!!! tada! drum roll please....

Toss the bloody bird into the trash and hoe into the stew! cant eat them things anyways taste like 100 year old shoe leather... yuk pooo hakk!

Yep nothin finer than good ol Aussie galah stew with damper and a nice cold beer... aaahhh heaven on a stick! :cool:

NormMessinger
05-21-2004, 10:09 AM
Wonderful! Thankee Mates. She won't have to cook, all she'll need to do is read your advise to the class. She can do it with a little practice.

Shane, if you have it in yer to talk up something staple from yer aboriginal heritage we would be much obliged.

Wild Dingo
05-21-2004, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by NormMessinger:
Wonderful! Thankee Mates. She won't have to cook, all she'll need to do is read your advise to the class. She can do it with a little practice..Mate make sure she holds her nose just so pinch it betwixt the thumb an wee fingers while talkin from the back of her nose and shorten her words... like "oi maite ow yer goin" that sorta thing :D and remember practice practice practice! :cool:

Originally posted by NormMessinger:
[QBShane, if you have it in yer to talk up something staple from yer aboriginal heritage we would be much obliged.[/QB]geez Norm... okay yer all know about the blackboy plant right? the grass tree?... mmmm Im damned if I know its "proper" name but its a tree with a black trunk grows anywhere between 4 and 8ft with a grass fringe and a long spear thingymajig out the top?... anyways! that one if you have an axe or tommyhawk handy chop the fronds down in the centre send the axe right down deep and with your other hand grab a handfull of the grass leaves and pull upward at the same time as twisting the axe and the grass stuff comes out... the ends are white and fairly soft... now yer can suck that and get plenty of moisture chew it and its like coconut... that last 1-2inches we used to use back home pulverised and mixed with bush tomatoes to make a really cool tomatoe sauce that it was brilliant sucked straight of the end of the finger... but best and mate this is fair dinkum was with honey ants bite the bum packet of the ant the sack full of sweet honey like stuff and lick the sauce mmmmmmmm ooh true that was just the absoflaminlutest best! :cool:

turtle gutted and stuffed with mango and sweet potato and cooked in its shell was excellent... best though was an auntys Dugong slices soaked in a pawpaw and orange marinade overnight then slathered with strawberry jam and grilled... no Im bloody serious!! one thing about my mob at least is their almost insane cravings for sugar and jam strawberry in particular lashings of it... that along with sugar and fresh drippin eat them anytime we can get hold of it! :rolleyes:

Breaky was usually toasted damper over the fire with lashings of dripping saved from the meat of the last meal the night before {if it was hidden quick enough} with salt and pepper and splatterings of whorsteshire sauce... and billy tea! gawd billy tea talk about strong stuff no milk and masses of sugar and hot as hell absolutely majical the mornin after!

I digress... whichetty grubs are more often than not eaten raw but can be cooked probably best cooked quick fried in real hot oil... raw is best sweetest anyways some people get really queezy when you hand them a fresh live grub and say "eat up mate" sheilas Ive found are more likely than fellas to have a go fellas tend to just heave ho a lot :D sheilas will have a go and then heave ho!! nah some can eat them but others dont seem to be able to... mind here possumpoops never been able to face them neither have the hoons so its no worries tongue.gif

Theres many nuts berrys and stuff that are edible but Im not up with names just know which ones are good tucker and which ones arent... been sadly lacking in me edjumakashun since leaving the north... ah well gettin to be right city fella this fella no worries tongue.gif

ooh mate? grab a copy of the book Bush Tucker Man by Les Hiddens {Amazon may have it otherwise its probably available through the ABC here give us a hoi if Amazon doesnt have one} he generally has a whole heep of info on bush tucker used to be a ADF soldier trainer on bush survival... had a series here on the idiot box awhile back

[ 05-21-2004, 11:48 AM: Message edited by: Wild Dingo ]

NormMessinger
05-21-2004, 11:40 AM
I owe ya pardner! Now let's see what LilChickMess can do with all this. Grandma is encouraging mmd's recipe. Too easy.

When I get a chance or the shade gets on the back porch I'll haul out our copy of The Flowering of Gowdwaha and see if I can find anything like " okay yer all know about the blackboy plant right? the grass tree?... mmmm Im damned if I know its "proper" name but its a tree with a black trunk grows anywhere between 4 and 8ft with a grass fringe and a long spear thingymajig out the top?"

NormMessinger
05-25-2004, 09:51 AM
This from Charlia this morning:
Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 07:19:54 -0500
To: Norm Messinger <ngmessinger@cox.net>
Subject: hillo

say thanks to ye aussie friends, grampadoodooloo! I expect the food to be a real blast!

And I thank you all, too.

[ 05-25-2004, 10:52 AM: Message edited by: NormMessinger ]

Wild Dingo
05-25-2004, 10:36 AM
Okay Granpaw I done me some searchin and come up with this site for you

Grass tree website! (http://www.grasstree.com/)

Grass tree Blackboy tree or latin name: Xanthorrhoea preisii

http://www.grasstree.com/images/g3.jpg

Tell lilmess "no worries nipper!"

NormMessinger
05-25-2004, 03:45 PM
Yup, I found Black Boy in Flowering of Gwondona as well but without it's binomial. The book is mostly interested in fossils but had pictures of both burned and unburned specimens. Interesting plant family.

Wild Wassa
05-25-2004, 04:02 PM
The grass tree, Xanthoria Australis and all the other varieties of grass trees, are a bush food and an excellent source of resin glue.

If you go to the centre of the grass tree and pull out a handfull of the new shoots, the new leaves, you can eat the bottom two inches of the grass, ... do not eat above the two inch mark because the alkaloids will kill you fast.

Grass trees taste like water melon.

Warren.

ps, The flower stalks, make good light weight spear shafts, a hardwood point needs to be halfted to the shaft, ... then you can spear a roo.

[ 05-25-2004, 05:12 PM: Message edited by: Wild Wassa ]