View Full Version : Is there a Veternarian in the house??

garland reese
11-26-2002, 09:09 PM
Hey all,

Maddie, our 20 month old Lab:

Dee just started a full time job outside of home, so Maddie is here by herself all day. She stays happily in her kennel, inside our home. This evening when we got home, Maddie is swollen badly, particularly so her head. She's been in the kennel all day. She got a very small amount of white chocolate that dropped on the floor this morning. Everything else has been normal. Could she have gotten bitten by something during the day? Her kennel is next to the sliding glass door. We've had a slight freeze the last couple of days. I'm wondering if she may have toyed with a spider or something today while she was in her kennel. Could a few white chocolate chips cause this kind of swelling? She is not feeling any too well. I'm sorta worried. We are all extremely attached. I don't know wheter to take her to the VET tommorrow or just wait and see.......She's been up and around some this evening......I don't know what to do :confused:

Peter Malcolm Jardine
11-26-2002, 09:12 PM
Is she having trouble breathing? still has energy? Could be an allergy to chocolate. Chocolate is NOT good for dogs, and affects some breeds quite violently (respiratory). any other symptoms?

Peter Malcolm Jardine
11-26-2002, 09:18 PM
Allergies also take the form of fluid retention, which usually is taken care of with an antihistamine, but I would not want to even suggest something before you have a vet examine the dog.

Peter Malcolm Jardine
11-26-2002, 09:20 PM
Allergies also take the form of fluid retention, which usually is taken care of with an antihistamine, but I would not want to even suggest something before you have a vet examine the dog. ... I feel your anxiety.. if you find the dog is struggling in any way... call a vet for an emergency visit.. Hey I like my ten year old collie better than a lot of people I know

11-26-2002, 09:49 PM
Hopefully its just a wasp sting.
My current dawg does that on a yearly basis.
My old dawg... Got bit by a snake on the head though.... Is she "corner searching"? IE: putting her head in corners and not wanting to walk?
Any time a dog has swelling in the head it's worth calling a vet. Encephelitis is allways a possibility. Friggin skeeters and ticks and etc.

garland reese
11-26-2002, 10:37 PM
She's moving around tonight. She isn't really staying to herself much (I'm not sure she would EVER want to do that.........she insists on being with us). She seems very irritated with the swelling around her eyes, so much so that we put a plastic cone around her to keep her from scratching....... We'll see how she is in the morning, and go from there.........
Thanks to all,


[ 11-26-2002, 11:49 PM: Message edited by: garland reese ]

Gary Bergman
11-26-2002, 11:04 PM
Sounds like a spider bite or mebbee a sting..can she breathe alright?

11-26-2002, 11:31 PM

The dog I grew up with got into wasps one time. We put her in the tub and got some cool water onto her head. It seemed to bring the swelling down quite fast. Cool not cold.

If your lab is like most labs I know she won't mind the water at all.


11-26-2002, 11:44 PM
Aside from the "ALIEN" huge eyes...... She's looking fine.... Are you sure shes not a "Mars retreiver"?

Matt J.
11-27-2002, 07:10 AM
How's she this morning?
I hope she's all better.
Waiting anxiously,

11-27-2002, 08:13 AM

How's everything going???

Thoughts and prayers smile.gif


11-27-2002, 08:52 AM
There is no actual chocolate in "white chocolate," so I doubt if that is involved.

Sounds like a reaction to something, though. Insect sting is the most likely.

Hope she's better this morning. Take her to the vet. You'll feel better.


Gary Bergman
11-27-2002, 09:14 AM
Ahoy, hows the girl today? Sandytheboatcocker sends get well wishes..

11-27-2002, 11:08 AM
Hey all,
Maddie is doing better this morning. Her eyes are not nearly as swollen as they were last night. Her muzzle is still very puffy............I'm thinkin' she tangled with a spider. She's been known to eat a bug or two (it's food and it's a moving target.........two of her favorite things!! smile.gif ). She is breathing alright. She is a bit more chipper this morning. I spoke with my niece who is taking a bunch of pre vet type classes in college. She thinks probably a bite of some kind. I also just talked to the kids. Swelling has gone down a good bit on her muzzle.......the left side still swollen pretty good though. I'll check in with the Vet this afternoon......see what he says.
Thanks to everyone. Funny how we get so attached so fast, init??

Joe (SoCal)
11-27-2002, 11:35 AM
Glad to hear seems every one asked the questions I was thinking so I couldn't add anything. Glad to here she is OK In OK (Oklahoma smile.gif ) Cute Puppy. We were just out making snow men and our lab Lucky "The World Largest Lab" tipping the scales at 130# was loving the snow

John Gearing
11-27-2002, 11:43 AM
For something simple like barfing, you probably don't have to run to the vet, but if the pet looks or acts off, I'd get right in there. My experience is that people tend to wait too long because they don't want to believe anything could be seriously wrong with their beloved pets. But waiting too long can be lethal.

Ed Harrow
11-27-2002, 11:52 AM
And our Beau tipped the scales at about 135, but then he was a Bita, not a Lab.

Peter Malcolm Jardine
11-27-2002, 12:07 PM
Heaven works on grace not on merit.
If it went by merit, your dog would get in,
and you would not.

-Mark Twain

11-27-2002, 02:28 PM
To say that there is no chocolate in 'white chocolate' isn't precisely right. The fat, cocoa butter is the principal ingrediant in white chocolate and is derived from the cacoa plant as is regular chocolate. Chocolate is nasty stuff for dogs and his killed some smaller breeds when they ingested a lot of it.

I wouldn't rule out an allergy to the ingrediants in white chocolate.