PDA

View Full Version : Terrorist Targets

Memphis Mike
03-26-2003, 08:35 PM
We have two bridges here in Memphis that cross the Mississippi River connecting I 40 and I 55
with West Memphis Arkansas. Because of the heavy truck traffic and the fact that Memphis is the distribution center of this country, it is said these bridges are high on the terrorist hit list.
We've had checkpoints at these locations lately. I'm thinking of getting a parachute and wearing a life jacket when I have to drive across. :eek:

[ 03-26-2003, 08:36 PM: Message edited by: Memphis Mike ]

thechemist
03-26-2003, 08:39 PM
You'd do better to protect yourself and your environment by doing some volunteer work on those checkpoints, and rounding up enough irregulars to keep them manned 24/7, until the locals can do the same.

Memphis Mike
03-26-2003, 08:49 PM
That's a good idea Chemist except they're manned by the local police and the CG and I'm not a member of either force.

Memphis Mike
03-26-2003, 09:02 PM
It really ain't no joke. And I hope no one inapropreate is reading this. But can you imagine the disruption of the flow of goods in this country if these bridges were hit? 55 and 40 are major East West transportation corridors. Our country relies so heavily on the trucking industry. It would completely stop the flow of goods from east to west and vice versa across the southern part of the US.

[ 03-26-2003, 09:05 PM: Message edited by: Memphis Mike ]

Memphis Mike
03-26-2003, 09:18 PM
Yeah Donn, but our truck traffic has increased ten fold in the past few years. We have thousands coming in and out of here on a daily basis.

NormMessinger
03-26-2003, 09:22 PM
So how long do you think it would take the army to throw a pontoon bridge across your stream if the loss of a bridge meant that much?

On Vacation
03-26-2003, 09:41 PM
Hey Mike, as a great authority on Terrorism, a lean, mean, fighting machine, from West Virgina , will not stop a bridge over troubled waters being blown up. Sit back, light one up, and go to bed with peace and understanding, that an Army of One, will never be able to save the world. ;) Eat marshmellows, smoke Camels, and drive 80 mph, in the city. You will probably die at the same age.

And that will be 50 dollars and send your payment to Ms. Cleo.

Memphis Mike
03-26-2003, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by NormMessinger:
So how long do you think it would take the army to throw a pontoon bridge across your stream if the loss of a bridge meant that much?We're talking at close to a mile here Norm in very turbulant water. The Mississippi is wide and swift here in Memphis. A simple pontoon bridge would not do at all as it regularly floods into Arkansas all the way to the levy that protects West Memphis. Add another mile for that.

stan v
03-27-2003, 07:34 AM
Real turbulent? As in very dangerous? Then I suggest we try a pull line first (shoot a rope across the river and pull the cargo across, saw that in 'Josey Wales'). Now, we need a volunteer to be the first to cross. Very turbulent? Very dangerous? What troll do we send first? :D

Andrew Craig-Bennett
03-27-2003, 07:46 AM
May I beg to differ? Important as these bridges are, they are not terrorist targets. They certainly would be military targets of the first importance, but the terrorist aims to terrorise a population, not to disrupt commercial and military logistics activity, which is what you do when you blow up a bridge.

A terrorist's choice of targets can be seen by what they have targetted:

In the USA:

The WTC
The Pentagon
The Alfred Murragh Building (an FBI office)

In Britain:

Canary Wharf (UK equivalent of WTC) - IRA bomb, which did not bring the place down, like WTC 1)
The Stock Exchange (being unfamilar with Central London, and evidently un-used to map reading, they took out the Baltic Exchange (shipping, not stocks) by mistake)
10, Downing Street (mortar attack)

and so on.

[ 03-27-2003, 08:05 AM: Message edited by: Andrew Craig-Bennett ]

Andrew Craig-Bennett
03-27-2003, 07:57 AM
Whoops! In the interest of Political Correctness, I have made the necessary amendment.

The silly thing was that the Baltic Exchange, a grand Victorian affair with brown marble columns, looked much grander than the Stock Exchange, a nondescript 1970's tower block, but, unlike the Stock Exchange, the Baltic was really redundant because chartering had already started to move into cyberspace. It wasn't rebuilt.

Ken Hutchins
03-27-2003, 08:01 AM
Please remember this is the WORLD WIDE WEB, stop putting ideas about potential targets on line. The terrorists get enough ideas without us helping them.

Greg H
03-27-2003, 08:10 AM
Why bother blowing a bridge, when a farmer on a tractor or a chicken truck overturned on I-95 can shutdown traffic?
:eek:

On Vacation
03-27-2003, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by Ken Hutchins:
Please remember this is the WORLD WIDE WEB, stop putting ideas about potential targets on line. The terrorists get enough ideas without us helping them.Many were training here in the United States to fly airplanes, cutting coupons, operating corner convenient stores, teaching high education to our youths, "student" living on expired visas because our policies never addressed this, long before the WBF was founded.

So this proves they are way ahead of us, when it comes to ideas.

[ 03-27-2003, 08:29 AM: Message edited by: Oyster ]

LeeG
03-27-2003, 08:31 AM
Ken, I understand the worry but it's the WILL to act that causes terrorist acts,,not the few braincells that it takes to figure out what makes a big mess

LeeG
03-27-2003, 08:34 AM
oh lord oyster,,you mean WE'RE the problem? I never thought of that. All those coupons, corner stores and "higher education" providing opportunities for terrorist training. HHEEEELLLLLLLPPP!!!!

On Vacation
03-27-2003, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by LeeG:
oh lord oyster,,you mean WE'RE the problem? I never thought of that. All those coupons, corner stores and "higher education" providing opportunities for terrorist training. HHEEEELLLLLLLPPP!!!!Yep, you got it. ;) I know, the label is coming out in me. Opps. I only thought "old blue hairs" cut coupons till recently, you know. :D

Roger Stouff
03-27-2003, 08:50 AM
Been like that over here, too, Mike:

(AP) The Coast Guard has begun requiring fishing and recreational vessels to get permission to sail on stretches of the Mississippi River in New Orleans and Baton Rouge.
The measures went into effect Monday as a means to tighten controls on river traffic and to ward off possible terrorist attacks.
Unauthorized boats will not be able to pass through a 14-mile stretch of river in the New Orleans area and a 5-mile stretch in Baton Rouge.
``All we're talking about here is screening, just to make sure people are on a legitimate trip,'' said Lt. Cmdr. Chris Hogan of the Coast Guard. ``Then they'll be allowed to go on their merry way.''
Hogan said boaters can expect some delays but authorities will try to minimize them.
Coast Guard vessels, led by an armed 87-foot patrol boat and coupled with overflights by HH-65 Dolphin helicopters, have been policing the river in these areas more intensely.
Since the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks security has been tightened around passenger cruise ships and waterfront facilities like oil refineries. Freighters have been required to notify the Coast Guard 96 hours before being allowed in ports.
The security zone in New Orleans runs from Entergy's power transmission lines at Chalmette, or mile-marker 89, to the Cargill grain elevator near the Orleans-Jefferson parish line, or mile-marker 103.
The zone in Baton Rouge goes between the Interstate 10 and U.S. 190 bridges.
Permission to transit the areas can be obtained by calling the Coast Guard at (504) 298-5400 in New Orleans or (225) 298-5400 in Baton Rouge. Transit permission can also be obtained through VHF-FM radio Channel 12.

John Gearing
03-27-2003, 09:42 AM
I agree with the writer above who said that terrorists would be most likely to strike a dramatic blow at some highly visible symbol of America. They missed their best chance, IMHO, at the Super Bowl. All they would have to do is something that would cause mass panic at a major public event that takes place in an enclosed or semi-enclosed location that has relatively few exits, and thousands would probably die in the crush to escape. And then all big public events would have to be shut down for as long as it took us to figure out a way to make them safe again.

Oyster, I can't tell if it's paranoia on your part or simply jingoistic hatred. Simplistic, to be sure.

Garrett Lowell
03-27-2003, 10:11 AM
Same here: last summer they (Alexandria Police) searched every boat going under the Woodrow Wilson Bridge, which is one of two Potomac River crossings.

NormMessinger
03-27-2003, 10:51 AM
But John, The superbowl was made safe by a TSA which no airplane could penetrate. Not in less that two minutes anyway. Well, okay they were safe from banner towers.