PDA

View Full Version : Cool 'Unreal' War Movies

Paul Pless
12-04-2004, 03:16 PM
My alltime favorite:

Kelley's Heroes

favorite character: gotta be Sutherland playing a Hippie, country music listening to, pot head Sherman tank commander during WWII, just in it for the money. :D

yorgie
12-04-2004, 03:44 PM
Yeah that's a fun movie and you know they had to cast a Canadian to play Sgt. Oddball. :D

Hal Forsen
12-04-2004, 04:47 PM
A Popsicle Now.
I meant to say
Apocalypse Now.
Charlie Don't Surf!!
HF

Victor
12-04-2004, 05:03 PM
Full Metal Jacket, The Deer Hunter, Catch-22, Popsicle's the only one I watch whenever it's on. Wouldn't mind seeing Catch-22 again, though.

brad9798
12-04-2004, 09:39 PM
Red Dawn ...

I'm always amazed when a ragtag groupd of 'kids' with 12-guages can wipe out Soviet tanks ... and all their troops! ;)

yorgie
12-04-2004, 09:43 PM
What's even more unrealistic about 'Reddawn' is the premise that the U.S. military would have been defeated and surrendered so easily.France sure but the U.S...

Jack Heinlen
12-04-2004, 09:55 PM
Full Metal Jacket is an odd mix. From a friend who went through Paris Island circa 1960, many of the bootcamp sequences are as close as film has gotten, yet you have the Donofrio character that was overdrawn. The latter half of the film is dark fluff, with a few scenes that ring true.

The Deer Hunter rang pretty true in its portrayal of the homefront, all the conflicts and desires that grew in 1969 on the homefront in gritty steel town, but the war scenes are pretty 'dramatic'.

Mash is my favorite film that makes no pretense at reality. It draws on it, but is very funny and irreverent in ways that I'm sure didn't happen quite that way. ;) It's one of the few Altman films that really holds up, as it is, a comedy.

Victor
12-04-2004, 10:04 PM
Go to your room, Brad.

imported_Dutch
12-04-2004, 10:37 PM
while we're waxing on our love of death dismemberment and general bodily mayhem, arent the " faces of death" movies great?

how bout the one where the guy parachutes into the alligator farm and gets eaten alive. isnt it a hoot?

Victor
12-05-2004, 08:13 AM
So you watch them, huh?

imported_Dutch
12-05-2004, 08:35 AM
well it is all blood guts gore and frivolity

is one way of buying the farm more sacred than another?

John C. Gresham
12-05-2004, 02:20 PM
As soon as you kick the bucket, we'll let you know.

huisjen
12-05-2004, 03:13 PM
The strange thing about Red Dawn for me was that I saw it when it came out at the National Explorer Convention, meaning in a very large room full of nothing but Boy Scouts. (Explorers sadly being a part of BSA)

The strange thing about Full Metal Jacket was that I saw it when it came out durring Marine week of CORTRAMID (which is the summer training for NROTC Midshipmen between sophomore and junior years, a week each of surface, subs, aviation, and why not to go Marine Option) with a bunch of Marines.

Dan

Venchka
12-05-2004, 11:28 PM
Full Metal Jacket...awesome.

Did ya'll know, Kubric wanted Clint Eastwood for the D.I. Clint bailed. So Kubric used the REAL Marine gunny he had hired to coach Clint. The guy was real. It showed in the movie.

Green Berets...awful.

Dr. Strangelove...brilliant.

That gives Stanley Kubric two of the all time best "war" movies.

Wayne
Wayne in the Swamp. :D

Paul Pless
12-05-2004, 11:32 PM
Did ya'll know, Kubric wanted Clint Eastwood for the D.I. Clint bailed. So Kubric used the REAL Marine gunny he had hired to coach Clint. The guy was real. It showed in the movie.
Isn't that the same guy who does Mailcall on the History Channel?

Bob Adams
12-06-2004, 12:35 AM
That's the guy...R. Lee Ermy. Here's a link to the movie soundboard, don't listen while kids are in the room!
http://www.ebaumsworld.com/jacket1.html