Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ed Harrow
    Retro Member #1235
    • Mar 2000

When you go to a football, or hockey, etc, game, or to the theater, where do

We need space for longer titles...

When you go to a football, hockey, basketball or whatever game, or maybe to the theater or movies, where do you prefer to sit?
    "Congress doesn't regulate Wall Street, Wall Street regulates Congress."

MAKE WAY! MAKE WAY! "I have heard of some kind of men that put quarrels purposely on others."

As a general rule, the better it felt when you said it, the more trouble it's going to get you into.

International Financial Conspirator, Collaborator, Gun Runner, Ace Philosopher-King and all-around smartie pants
  • Greg H.
    • May 1999

G'day Ed!
    Well I haven't been to a sports thing in 35yrs, or a movie in 4yrs. But with music, if it's a small club, close enough to the stage that I can see their fingers and towards the middle for balanced sound. Other wise, in the back so I can stand up.

Comment

• Bruce Taylor
      Eardstapa
      • Aug 2000

Well, when I go to a sports event I prefer to sit several blocks away at a repertory movie theatre. Of course, if there's a free carrel at a university library I'd be happy there too. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

• LisaS
        • Oct 2001

For baseball games, I prefer the third base side of the field. For IMAX theaters, I prefer dead center. For regular movie theaters, I prefer the back center. For live theater and musical events in theaters/concert halls, I prefer the front row center of the balcony.

Lisa

Comment

• Bruce Taylor
          Eardstapa
          • Aug 2000

OK, I'll play.

Front & center, four to six rows back.

Comment

• Wayne Jeffers
            Former member # 1964
            • Mar 2002

At hockey games, Michelle and I usually stand at the glass at the end of the rink. This is because when sitting in the stands on the side, the view of the near corner of the far end of the ice is somewhat obstructed. For baseball, we prefer third base side, behind the home dugout.

For music with no reserved seating, we show up early to get a good seat front and center. I use earplugs to avoid additional hearing loss. [img]smile.gif[/img] At the theater, I hope for reserved seats close enough to see the actor's mouths clearly to help make up for my loss of hearing.

What's a movie?

Wayne

Comment

• G. Schollmeier
              • May 1999

It must be an aisle seat.

Gary
              "The hand feeds the mind."
              Weston Farmer

Comment

• MR. KNOW IT ALL
                • Nov 2001

At a Cleveland Browns game the only place to sit is in the "Dawg Pound" of course. I usually wind up with "nosebleed" seats for The Indians games but every seat at "Jacobs Field" is a good one. I saw "The Eagles" in Columbus last summer, 10th row center. Priorities Man, priorities.
                Peace---> Kevin in Ohio

Comment

• htom
                  Member #919
                  • Dec 1999

In a theatre, in the "designer's seat", of course. This varies depending on the theatre, the designer, the production, and his or her seating height. Usually this is in the fourth-to-sixth row back, a couple of seats off the centerline.

Movies, tenth row, on the aisle.

Baseball, 3rd baseline; football, between the 20 and 30 yard line, 20 rows up; likewise for hockey, ice dance, other such sports.
                  Await dreams, loves, life; | There is always tomorrow. | Until there is not.

Grieving love unsaid. | Tomorrow will fail someday. | Tell them today, OK?

Comment

• B_B
                    Banned
                    • Sep 2001

Movies: Front row centre - that way there aren't too many people causing distractions - only the annoying kicks in the back, the cell-phones and the giggling/chatting etc., failing that, any aisle seat.

Concerts: first row balcony or 3/4 of the way back on the main floor, always dead centre.

Small Clubs: don't matter, all seats are good! (usually)

Football/Hockey etc: whereever I get free seats!

Exceptions: My favourite beer is the brand "Free, Cold, and Plenty" and I guess the same goes for theatre etc. - its where my friends sit, I do however try to influence WHERE they sit!

Comment

• Mrleft8
                      Banned
                      • Feb 2000

Is hockey a game, or a sport?
                      In any case, in all of the above I prefer to sit at home. The germs the person behind you has inevitably get all over the back of your head if you go to arenas or theaters....
                      And god knows there haven't been any movies worth going to since 1987.....

Comment

• Ed Harrow
                        Retro Member #1235
                        • Mar 2000

Very interesting...

Sorry to forget the small club scene. We used to have a great one right down the street. Loved it. Baseball, that's kind of a toughie, I left it out, but the more I think about it that was a mistake.

So still looking for some more, (and watching from home don't count). Jack? StanV, Art, Oyster, Barbara, Scott, Bob, John B, WD, Martin, Ian, John Smith,etc, etc, chime in folks.

[ 02-23-2003, 11:16 PM: Message edited by: Ed Harrow ]
                        "Congress doesn't regulate Wall Street, Wall Street regulates Congress."

MAKE WAY! MAKE WAY! "I have heard of some kind of men that put quarrels purposely on others."

As a general rule, the better it felt when you said it, the more trouble it's going to get you into.

International Financial Conspirator, Collaborator, Gun Runner, Ace Philosopher-King and all-around smartie pants

Comment

• swamp_yankee
                          • Feb 2003

Originally posted by Braam Berrub:
                          Football/Hockey etc: whereever I get free seats!
                          The 'Scots section!'

BTW, football's a homo sport! [img]tongue.gif[/img] Real men strap on the skates...
                          Tyrone Slothrop

Comment

• Wayne Jeffers
                            Former member # 1964
                            • Mar 2002

Originally posted by Ed Harrow:
                            . . . Sorry to forget the small club scene. . . .
                            Small clubs. . . . Small clubs are the only kind we have around here. We have lots of them and I think it's wonderful. That's one of the best things about Athens. The last musical event I attended in a large arena was in 1980 (Willie Nelson) and I doubt there is a performer who can tempt me to do another large arena show. Maybe Buddy Guy?

Wayne

[ 02-24-2003, 09:42 AM: Message edited by: Wayne Jeffers ]

Comment

• Sailortect
                              Gluten Enthusiast
                              • Dec 2001

Hockey... at least 8 rows up, in a corner is the ideal view. never on TV, the game just moves too fast for TV to properly capture it. you'd need a double screen setup... one shot of the whole zone so you can see things developing, and another close-in on the puckhandler so you can see what he's thinking.

football (NFL)... at home on tv. american football's rolling stop-and-go action makes it ideal for television. I'll never go to a live nfl game again.

Football (highschool)... positioned equidistant between the band and the shrieking mothers' section.

music.... outdoors.
                              People today will buy a car with square wheels as long as the steering wheel is heated.

Comment

Working...