PDA

View Full Version : Catterwallin

oldriverat
12-05-2003, 05:06 PM
We're having a little problem with our female cat Prissy. She is crying all night long. She seems to be OK physically and is eating and going to the bathroom. She doesn't appear to be sick at all. Also she has been spayed so she wouldn't be in heat. I'm dumfounded as to what might be causing this behavior and it's interrupting our sleep. Does anybody have any ideas or advice?

Sleepless in Memphis :(

cs
12-05-2003, 05:10 PM
Mike you may have some other cat (or some other critter) moved underneath your house. Or she just may need attention (you know how them women are. ;) ) Our cats get that way every now and than, esp if you leave toys in the floor. Than they walk around all night carring the toys in their mouth and making a sick meow.

Chad

oldriverat
12-05-2003, 05:28 PM
Thanks Chad. I didn't think of that. You might be right. We have a stray that frequents the yard and may be living under the house at night.

Meerkat
12-05-2003, 05:32 PM
How many cats do you have MMike? Maybe puss is lonely.

oldriverat
12-05-2003, 06:20 PM
Just one cat and one dog. Robin my Cocker is blind and deaf. 14 years old.

Jack Heinlen
12-05-2003, 06:43 PM
Unless you're on a busy road, throw her out a night or two, see how much she cottons to that. She is an 'outdoor' cat, yes? I, obviously, wouldn't let her out if she isn't.

My kitty, early on, had her own door and could come and go as she pleased. They do get used to it, so if you don't want her out at night forget everything I just said.

How old is she?

oldriverat
12-05-2003, 08:15 PM
Yup, you're right Donn. They're a different kind of animal. This one is sleeping all day too and looking at me snidely when I walk by as if to say,
"yeah right, just wait til later bub." :mad:

Jack Heinlen
12-05-2003, 08:22 PM
Mike...please don't follow Jack's advice. Why an outdoor cat, who's crying all night, shouldn't be let out, escapes me.

Frankly, I think keeping a cat as a strictly indoor animal is cruel. It's not their nature.

And I'll hold my animal kindness credentials up with anyone's here, Donn. You think because your dog has a pedigree, or because you imagine some superior wisdom re pets, that you can tell me what is right or wrong about the treatment of animals. Well, you can't. We have different philosophies perhaps, but I am kind and caring with my animals. I resent any implication otherwise. They are important to me, and I treat them well.

[ 12-05-2003, 10:54 PM: Message edited by: Jack Heinlen ]

Domesticated_Mr. Know It All
12-05-2003, 09:59 PM
Our cats usually only cry if they're out of food or water. Sometimes "Olivia" our Siamese will tattle on the dogs if they have an accident in the house. :rolleyes: Some cats are very vocal like "Olivia". Other cats like my buddy "Fat Bob" have a pathetic tiny squeak that can barely be heard. Cats are brats Mikey,better get used to it. :D

Meerkat
12-05-2003, 10:09 PM
I don't believe in indoor cats, but if a cat is accustomed to being an indoor cat, it's not a good idea to let him/her out unsupervised, especially at first. They can often be quite terrified and struggle to get back inside to safety. OTOH, keeping an indoor/outdoor cat confined will work your last nerve - and kitty's too! :D

Neutered cats can have higher vet bills if there are many unneutered cats around - they'll attack the neuters.

oldriverat
12-05-2003, 10:49 PM
Prissy is an indoor cat. Sometimes she wants out but when we let her she is soon crying to get back in.

Jack Heinlen
12-05-2003, 11:24 PM
Give her some catnip and valerian root. That should keep her fantasies in check. smile.gif

Describe her, I'm imagining a frou frou.

oldriverat
12-05-2003, 11:29 PM
Just a common Grey Tabby Jack.

imported_DutchRub
12-06-2003, 12:15 PM
http://www.djmick.co.uk/celebritygallery/images3/KimSmith/kimsmith15_small.jpg