View Full Version : The World--- Tristan Da Cunha (Most Remote Inhabited Place?)

Alan D. Hyde
04-25-2005, 11:03 AM
See http://www.sartma.com/country_TDC.html

See also: http://www.tristandc.com/

Around three hundred people live here, more or less self-sufficiently.

Their police/conservation officer has just published a book:

Book details:

1st Book entirely written by Islander
Conrad Glass, Tristan da Cunha's Police Inspector, has now completed and published his book 'Rockhopper Copper'. It was printed and published by The Orphan's Press in Leominster, Herefordshire in February 2005, and is available now for purchase, by cheque for 13 to include postage and package from Orphan's Press :

Rockhopper Copper Orders
Orphans Press
Hereford Rd
Herefordshire HR6 8JT

01568 612460

(I have no economic interest in this book. :D )

One more interesting place to which I haven't yet traveled...

Has anyone here been there???

[ 04-25-2005, 03:39 PM: Message edited by: Alan D. Hyde ]

04-25-2005, 02:31 PM
Didn't Capt Aubury and Dr. Maturin nearly bang into Inaccesable Island?

04-26-2005, 03:50 AM
I went past Tristan once but it was way too rough to stop. They did not have a real harbour there. Pre-GPS days and hadn't seen the sun for a while so didn't even see the island but strongly suspected that it was a few miles South of us.
The entire population got evacuated to Britain once, I think in about 1960, because of volcanic activity but most of them went back once the scare was over.

04-26-2005, 09:01 AM
There is a series of books called "Peoples of the Earth" from 1973,Vol 5 is called "Peoples of the Atlantic and has a good article about Tristan Da Cunha.With less than a dozen surnames ,everyone looks alike.They are descended mostly from sailors,american whalers and capecoloured women.Interesting place to read about but I don't think I'd make it a destination I'd travel too.

This has been a great series of threads Alan.

[ 04-26-2005, 10:15 AM: Message edited by: yorgie ]

Wild Wassa
05-08-2005, 07:17 PM
I once did some some photographic work for a Dr da Cunha, from Tristan da Cunha when he spent time at the Australian National University. He is a Geographer ... small world hey?

[ 05-08-2005, 08:20 PM: Message edited by: Wild Wassa ]