PDA

View Full Version : Dogs and Cancer

km gresham
09-23-2004, 02:29 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
English scientists say they have found proof that dogs can smell cancer... Developing...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, this was on Drudge, but I've heard anecdotal evidence that dogs can detect cancer - in one case a woman's dog kept barking at a spot on her calf and finally she went to the doctor and he removed a skin cancer.

Anybody heard anything like this? Sounds crazy, but who knows?

[ 09-23-2004, 03:29 PM: Message edited by: km gresham ]

Chris Boers
09-23-2004, 02:32 PM
It's amazing
Dogs in Training to Sniff out Cancer (http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2004/08/0820_040820_detectordogs.html)

Alan D. Hyde
09-23-2004, 02:37 PM
Dog's have an acute sense of smell.

Perhaps the cancerous growth has a distinctive and disturbing odor.

A neighbor's dog, who lived to be seventeen, gnawed a cancerous growth off one of his hind legs when he was thirteen or fourteen. It never came back, and he lived quite a few years thereafter in good health.

Alan

km gresham
09-23-2004, 02:40 PM
Amazing! smile.gif

Kev Smyth
09-23-2004, 02:45 PM
I would love to have a dog's powerful sense of smell for a day, or an eagle's sense of sight. It would be a kick to experience the shifted perception of our world. smile.gif :cool:

Why dogs waste their abilities sniffing other's butts escapes me though. :rolleyes: Perhaps after a day walking in their "paws" though I'd understand! :eek: :D

The cancer sense is great- another way to become man's best friend.

Scott Rosen
09-23-2004, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by Kev Smyth:
Why dogs waste their abilities sniffing other's butts escapes me though.Dogs have a lubricating anal gland that emits strong smelling substance. They can identify each other by each dog's unique scent.

Haven't you ever wondered why dogs never need to wipe their butts?

Kev Smyth
09-23-2004, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by Scott Rosen:
Haven't you ever wondered why dogs never need to wipe their butts?Well, ummm, I'm a curious guy, but...... ;)

Donn
09-23-2004, 04:55 PM
Some dogs do wipe their butts, especially dogs that are fed kibble. Their anal glands clog up more easily, due to the ash content of the kibble, and if the owner doesn't express the gland regularly, the dog will drag his butt on the ground (or on an expensive oriental rug) in an attempt to clear the gland.

Kev...you don't need to be a dog-for-a-day to sniff a dog's butt. tongue.gif

TimH
09-23-2004, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by Donn:
if the owner doesn't express the gland regularly, the dog will drag his butt on the ground (or on an expensive oriental rug) in an attempt to clear the gland.

I adopted a Beagle when I was a teen that found me in the woods while I was hiking. He had worms and could skid his ass across the ground for quite a ways.... :D
Imagine my amazement at this spectacle as I had no idea what he was doing at first :D