PDA

View Full Version : New Kennedy Scandal???

Alan D. Hyde
04-22-2005, 05:06 PM
From a not unbiased source, but will it be picked up by the mainstream media???

From www.newsmax.com (http://www.newsmax.com)

Friday, April 22, 2005 8:12 a.m. EDT

Kennedy In-Law Secretly Taped Hillary Aide

Sen. Ted Kennedy's brother-in-law, who pled guilty to bank fraud charges yesterday in New Orleans, secretly tape recorded former top Hillary Clinton campaign aide David Rosen - and may have taped Hillary herself - as part of an FBI probe into an Aug. 12, 2000 gala fundraiser for Mrs. Clinton's Senate campaign.

Ray Reggie, the brother of Kennedy's wife Victoria Reggie, was identified by prosecutors yesterday as the confidential witness who had been cooperating with investigators for three years as part of his bank fraud plea bargain.

"I wasn't sure if anybody made any of these connections yet or not," Assistant U.S. Attorney in New Orleans, Jan Mann, told the New York Sun, which first reported the wiretapping on Thursday.
Prosecutors say Rosen, who served as finance chairman for Mrs. Clinton's 2000 Senate race, "made a number of incriminating statements" on the Reggie tapes, which they intend to introduce at his trial, set to begin on May 3.

In an indictment announced in January, Rosen was charged with hiding from the Federal Election Commission hundreds of thousands of dollars in campaign contributions from the related to the Hollywood gala.

Mr. Reggie traveled extensively with both Bill and Hillary Clinton, put together fundraisers for the former first couple and was an overnight guest at the Clinton White House.

During a June 2000 White House visit, the Clintons and the Reggies stayed up late into the night "chatting," the New York Post said.

Asked if Reggie may have also recorded one or both of the Clintons, attorney David Kendall "had no immediate response," the Sun said. The key government witness was "wearing a wire and making secret tapes as recently as last December," the Post said.

Another key witness in the probe, celebrity fundraiser Aaron Tonken, says the FBI asked him to record his conversations with Mrs. Clinton, in a bid to gather evidence about the Aug. 2000 fundraiser, which Tonken helped produce.

But Clinton insiders suspected he was cooperating with investigators and refused to take his calls.

If Mrs. Clinton was captured on tape making comments indicating she knew the extent of Rosen's alleged misdeeds, it could have a devastating impact on her plans to run for president in 2008.

Both Tonken and Hollywood mogul Peter Paul - who bankrolled the Clinton gala - say they personally apprised the top Democrat about the costs of the fundraiser.

"I told her about virtually every penny I'd spent on her behalf," Tonken recalled in his recent book "King of Cons."

"I told her about the money and what a pleasure it was to spend it on her [Senate] candidacy."

Mr. Paul says Mrs. Clinton was even involved in trying to trim some of the event's production costs.

"Hillary Clinton personally called the producer of the concert part of this event," he told Fox News Channel's Eric Shawn last November.

"She asked him to lower the fee that he was charging of $850,000 at my request. So I don't understand how she could possibly say that she didn't know" about the costs.

Alan

[ 04-22-2005, 06:06 PM: Message edited by: Alan D. Hyde ]

km gresham
04-22-2005, 05:12 PM
Short answer - no. Not so you'd recognize it anyway. If it gets big enough they'll have to give it a few seconds of air time, but that'll be it. This guy may turn up in Fort Marcy Park. :eek:

[ 04-22-2005, 06:13 PM: Message edited by: km gresham ]

Meerkat
04-22-2005, 05:13 PM
You people wouldn't know a real scandal if it flew up and bit you on your flabby butts. tongue.gif

ljb5
04-22-2005, 05:19 PM
What is it with you people and secretly taping others?

You lend a lot of credibility to the nut cases who worry about the government keeping tabs on us.

Joe (SoCal)
04-22-2005, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by Alan D. Hyde:
From a not unbiased source, but will it be picked up by the mainstream media???
Is forbes OK ?
http://www.forbes.com/work/feeds/ap/2005/04/21/ap1966151.html

Gee that was easy ;)

Ian McColgin
04-24-2005, 09:26 AM
It was already "mainstream" in New Orleans papers for the Reggie angle and NYC papers who want to do a "gotcha" on Sen. Clinton with an in-trouble Kennedy relative/ally was angling to reduce his own sentence.

And it's a little like the old Whitewater deal - it lost money. The fundraiser, David Rosen, targeted so far is charged with falsely reporting that an event costing about $1.2 million cost $400,000.

What did he do? Steal the rest? It's like the guy is working for a defence contractor in Iraq.

ccmanuals
04-24-2005, 09:49 AM
Do you think this country will ever wake up and seriously look at it's Campaign finance laws?

High C
04-24-2005, 12:13 PM
Crime's OK if you lose money on the deal...

ccoffer
04-24-2005, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by ljb5:
When the hell did the FBI become "you people"? Are you leftists really this paranoid?

Gary Lee
04-24-2005, 12:39 PM
Sen. Ted Kennedy's brother-in-law, who pled guilty to bank fraud charges yesterday in New Orleans, secretly tape recorded former top Hillary Clinton campaign aide David Rosen - and may have taped Hillary herself - as part of an FBI probe into an Aug. 12, 2000 gala fundraiser for Mrs. Clinton's Senate campaign.

Who is you people ? The dates don't quite fit the years of any Bush Administration and its friends for justice and the justice system, and attach any tapes to the Republican party. What is it with you people? :rolleyes:

LeeG
04-24-2005, 01:09 PM
I'd like a video of the guy who invented 3M5200.

Could YOU all put this in perspective for me? Is this more important than Bolton, Michael Jackson or Sandy Berger?

[ 04-24-2005, 02:18 PM: Message edited by: LeeG ]

ljb5
04-24-2005, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by Gary Lee:
Who is you people ? The dates don't quite fit the years of any Bush Administration and its friends for justice and the justice system, and attach any tapes to the Republican party. What is it with you people? :rolleyes: The dates do fit the Bush administration.

The fundraiser was in 2000. The investigation started sometime after 2000.

The article said it was a three year investigation, up to 2005 which makes me think it started in 2002.

When I said, "you people" I meant:

</font> The Republicans who were in charge of the FBI and Justice Department 2002-2005 (Ashcroft and Bush)</font> The Republicans who support them (voters)</font> The Republicans who get excited about this and post a thread about it (Hyde, Karen and Donn)</font>Is that clear enough?
Consider for a minute that Linda Tripp's tapes of Monica Lewinsky were illegal. How many of you objected to them and protested when Ken Starr used them?

[ 04-24-2005, 02:48 PM: Message edited by: ljb5 ]

ccoffer
04-24-2005, 07:55 PM
So criminal behavior by leftists is irrelevant? All that matters is who is in the White House?

That is quite a standard proud Marxists set for themselves and their teammates.

ljb5
04-24-2005, 08:08 PM
I didn't say anything that could remotely be interpreted that way!

All I said is that Republicans seem to have a fascination with secretly taping people.

They also don't seem to care if it's legal or not.

Gary Lee
04-24-2005, 08:44 PM
The fundraiser was in 2000. The investigation started sometime after 2000.

There were charges against Ray Reggie, a democrat, that included bank fraud. Rosen, a democrat operative working for Clinton, was charged with hiding campaign money, some reported from foreign soil, from the Clinton campaign, a democrat in 2000. I wonder why Reggie, a democrat and friend of Clinton, would work with the FBI in this case. :rolleyes: I have an idea that the missing link can link the foreign money to Reggie's bank. The ongoing investigation took place after the alleged crime was committed in 2000. Can we assume that Reggie and Rosen were just simple million dollar vandals? The alleged crimes had nothing to do with Republicans.

The Republicans who get excited about this and post a thread about it (Hyde, Karen and Donn)

I think you are being hard on the three members. I have read posts in this section from the three people mentioned, and I doubt the three would ever accuse you of doing such a dastardly deed. Most of your posts begin with just a boring fact and will include your own twist and turns, or on some extremes, lies for affect or sensational literature.

ccoffer
04-24-2005, 09:42 PM
Now we are back to FBI agents being rebubs by default. It's a dumb premise.

Ed Harrow
04-24-2005, 10:04 PM
"New Kennedy Scandal???"

http://www.livingpictures.org/imagesanimals/horses/laughinghorse1.jpg

Perhaps Lord Balfour said it best, "Nothing matters very much, in fact few things matter at all."

[ 04-25-2005, 08:53 AM: Message edited by: Ed Harrow ]

ljb5
04-24-2005, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by ccoffer:
Now we are back to FBI agents being rebubs by default. It's a dumb premise.The FBI was under the direction of John Ashcroft during the period of the investigation. It's difficult to imagine that Hillary Clinton could be under investigation without Ashcroft taking an interest.

I never made any comments on the allegations of the crimes. I merely mentioned that Republicans are often excited by secretly obtained audio tapes.

For gosh sakes, look at that image Donn posted. Obviously, someone spent time, energy and creativity to create a fake surveillance picture. Why bother? Clearly, no one would think it is real, or even that it is supposed to fool anyone.

It's sorta funny in a predictable, cliched way, but from a thematic standpoint, it reveals something peculiar about the artist. Clearly, there is some interest in secretly taping people.

As I said before, some of Linda Tripp's tapes of Monica Lewinsky were illegally obtained. All of them were secretly obtained. Why did Republicans express such interest in them? Why did none object when Ken Starr used them in his investigation?

I assume the FBI had a warrant to tape these conversations; I wonder how broad it was. With the Patriot Act, conservatives have opened the door to more invasive surveillance with fewer restrictions and less accountability.

Years ago, conservatives were strong critics of invasions of privacy. Now they show a keen interest in others' private conversations and have eroded the protections they used to cherish.

I'm sure the FBI will get to the bottom of this (although it might take them 10 years and $21 million dollars to conclude nothing happened.) But at what price? Do conservatives really want a government of sneaks and a nation of tattlers, gossips?

Linda Tripp's prying, sexual conversations with a woman half her age did reveal a dalliance -- but they also revealed a sleazy, voyeuristic side of the Republican party -- and their willingness to turn a "smaller, less intrusive government" into big brother.

seafox
04-25-2005, 12:01 AM
I said it first but then a democrat in congress said it more publicaly. " nailing clinton on perjury is like getting al capone on tax fraud"
ie no wqhere near getting him for the really bad stuff he did but getting them none the less. and as for "illeagle taping" how was it illeagle in a lot of states if one person in a conversation knows the taping is iccuring its leagle I belive virgina its ok in dc its not in neither case its wrong.

lets not forget the democratic party officals who taped a celphone confrance call between republican members of congress a few years back over a christmas break. now that was definitely ileagle. and quite proable a put up job because normal skanners could not intercept a celphone call since the digital frequency changes constantly ( I put that badly but I don't know the corect technical term and it is close enough) only advanced listening devices are able to follow and record a celphone call. those party officals got public service if I recall for violating federal comenications laws