PDA

View Full Version : adding deleting programs

imported_Dutch
12-03-2004, 09:32 AM
i checked my programs on the computer and found one called " shopping wizard" and another similar to it that i never installed. i attempted to uninstall them and get a message about not being able to find the uninstall.

how do i get rid of them?

John Bell
12-03-2004, 09:48 AM
Spybot.

http://www.spybot.info/en/index.html

Garrett Lowell
12-03-2004, 09:51 AM
Dutch, what OS you using?

imported_Dutch
12-03-2004, 10:14 AM
windows me

Garrett Lowell
12-03-2004, 02:37 PM
Ok, Dutch. First, hit ctrl+alt+del and select task manager. Then, select processes. Choose the ones marked similar or the same as those you show running and end the task. If your're not sure, then DO NOT end it. After you end them, wait and see if they pop up again in your processes. If they don't, then do a start/search and search for those files on your hard drive. After you find them, select them and hit shift+delete. Then, go to lavasoft.com and download their free AdAware program and check your system.

imported_Dutch
12-03-2004, 03:41 PM
thank you garret.

ill give it a try

Gonzalo
12-03-2004, 03:58 PM
Dutch,

Some programs resist being deleted in normal mode. Don't know about ME, but I had some success in deleting programs in Safe Mode with Win 98 that I could not delete in normal mode. Hit F8 when you hear the beep to go into Safe Mode.

I used a web site called http://www.answersthatwork.com. It has a "task list" that tells you what lots of the tasks and processes are that you may see in the task manager. That helps you decide which ones are legit and which ones should be deleted. It gives you limited advise in deleting them, though because they want you to buy their software "Ultimate Troubleshooter." Still it is useful.

I have also had good luck with SpyBot. It installs easily and if it has trouble deleting a file it will run at your next reboot and delete them before they have a chance to run their nefarious defenses. Adaware works, too. I use both.

A friend swears by a freeware (or shareware?) program called TaskMan that sounds like it does a lot of what "Ultimate Troubleshooter" does. There are some non-spyware programs like real player, MS Office, and HP printer drivers that install some unnecessary "utilities" in your memory whenever you boot up whether you want them or not. TaskMan is supposed to help you prevent those from loading even if you don't want to delete the parent program.

[ 12-03-2004, 04:58 PM: Message edited by: Gonzalo ]