PDA

View Full Version : Turnbuckles

Paul
08-09-2001, 08:12 AM
I would really appreciate some advise on how to go about measuring and cutting the ss standing rigging for my Haven 12.5. Once the rigging is attached to the mast (in this case it is loop over the peak) and brought down to the chain plate location where do I start measuring. I am using norse fittings. Are the turnbuckles tightened up, out or part way? As you can tell I am completely lost on this one. Help.

paladin
08-09-2001, 08:18 AM
Turnebuckles should be half way in or out, make sure you have a toggle on the turnbuckle, attach the end to the Norseman fitting and measure to the end of the cone on the fitting.

Ian McColgin
08-09-2001, 10:42 AM
Brion Toss's 'Rigger's Apprentice' has an excellent section on measuring.

Being a bit cavilier myself, when I rerigged Goblin (keel stepped) I made each stay a bit long with the terminals or soft eyes at the upper end but the lower ends unfinished.

Stuck the sticks in. Placed the stays alongside the fully extended turnbuckle and cut the wire to accept the staylock pin to hole at that point. I found when I did the tighten-up that the screws came nicly to mid range.

That way wasted a few feet of cable in toto - Goblin was an Alden 43' with about a a gazillion feet of wire between her 20 stays, which seemed acceptable loss compared to the risk of loosing more if I cut a stay too short. Also, Brion's book wasn't out back then . . .

Assuming you're using Norseman or Staylocks, the anti-sieze and the first screw-down are key to a lasting job.

'Course, maybe you're so cool that they are all spliced . . .

G'luck

Paul
08-09-2001, 04:40 PM
What's the best way to cut the ss rigging for this type fitting?

Ian McColgin
08-09-2001, 04:58 PM
Being a cruiser, I have proper cable cutters. Bolt cutters will not do. Working one boat, light gear, on shore, carefully tape the cable and clamp it in a vice. Modify the jaws with a block of wood drilled to the wire diameter and then cut down the length of the hole - the kerff will give you what you need to tighten it. Hack saw and patience

G'luck

paladin
08-09-2001, 05:00 PM
with a pair of stainless steel wire cutters...
Seriously, a large set of bolt type cutters but with cutting jaws thatarc slightly inward like half moons...it keeps the wire from unlaying but it should be seized with wire prior to cutting to be on the safe side....just remember, its a lot easier to trim a wire that's a hair too long that one that's a hair too short.