PDA

View Full Version : Miss the days

cs
04-27-2005, 06:30 AM
A few years ago I was living much closer to work and driving a Suzuki Samuria. Every two weeks I was spending $15 in gas.

Now I've moved futher away, have a bigger truck and gas has shot through the roof. I'm now spending $60 a week for gas (and that is just me, not counting the wife).

Boy I sure could use some relief.

Chad

[ 04-27-2005, 07:37 AM: Message edited by: cs ]

Chris Coose
04-27-2005, 06:55 AM
One of the 10 elements of my business plan in setting up Top of the Hill Counseling was to locate within walking distance.
For two reasons.
Walking is good.
dubbya and his oil crew were about to have their way.

The last auto I bought gets 30 mpg and when the guzzling old one reaches it's last legs I won't care what the next one looks like. That purchase will be based solely on it's mpg.

Guzzlers are history and as we've been shown in the past it won't be the domestic manufacturers who will lead.

dubbya will never incorporate conservation into his energy plan. He and his buddies will squeeze the last drop for what it is worth even if uniformed people die for it.

Post that photo of dubbya and the king of saudi arabia walking hand in hand in your bill fold if you need a reminder.

[ 04-27-2005, 07:58 AM: Message edited by: Chris Coose ]

km gresham
04-27-2005, 06:59 AM
"Guzzlers are history". That's what they thought during the "energy crisis" of the Carter years. Hardly. Large families will always require large cars (or two or three small ones). People who haul stuff regularly require vehicles that can haul. People who trailer boats etc require vehicles with the horse power to do so.

;) smile.gif

Chris Coose
04-27-2005, 07:01 AM
OK km.

John Bell
04-27-2005, 07:14 AM
And to think just a few days ago you were singing the praises of your powerful vehicle...

Your choices are to get a more fuel efficient car/truck, move closer to work, or find a job closer to home.

FWIW, if a full sized truck is necessary for your work, then you'd better off with a newer one that has all the computerized stuff under the hood instead of your retro 4-bbl carbed version.

Mrleft8
04-27-2005, 07:15 AM
Originally posted by km gresham:
"Guzzlers are history". That's what they thought during the "energy crisis" of the Carter years. Hardly. Large families will always require large cars (or two or three small ones). People who haul stuff regularly require vehicles that can haul. People who trailer boats etc require vehicles with the horse power to do so.

;) smile.gif That's curious... But this is only true in the US right? Because large families all over the world don't seem to need Lincoln Navigators. People with stuff to haul, pretty much everywhere but here, do it just fine w/o Ford F-350s. How are boats in the rest of the world moved w/o that shiny new Dodge with the 10 cylinder engine?

Garrett Lowell
04-27-2005, 07:17 AM
In August, I will be increasing my commute from 32 miles/week to 320 miles/week. I'm probably going to end up with a Honda Insight or a VW Jetta TDI, 'cause I'm not feeding the Wrangler over that distance at 21 mpg.

WWheeler
04-27-2005, 07:28 AM
or you can walk to work and keep a guzzler for occasional use, and still use less gas that you would driving a 50 mpg car.

Jack Heinlen
04-27-2005, 07:46 AM
Being natively "conservative" I've usually tried to have a vehicle that would do what I needed, and nothing more. Right now, with just one vehicle, I've got a four banger pickup. I need to haul a 1500 lb trailer, and it does so nicely, even up reasonably steep ramps. Not the best commuter, but it does get 24-26 if driven carefully. If I had to commute a long distance, and didn't haul a trailer, I'd get a little car.

American fascination with power - the ads for the big pickups and SUVs tell the story - is a sort of illness...an illness that looks about to be cured by the price of oil. I'll bet one in ten who buys one of those big honker pickups actually needs it. The other nine are poseurs, cowboy wannabes, buyers of image not pragmatism.

I'll wager the price of those beasts in the used market is about to plummet, so if you're a contractor who actually needs one, wait a bit.

[ 04-27-2005, 07:09 PM: Message edited by: Jack Heinlen ]

TomF
04-27-2005, 07:57 AM
We've bought as small a car as can fit us all, and rent something bigger when required. Currently, I walk to work.

It's not always the most convenient, but I drive past lots of gas stations.

t.

htom
04-27-2005, 09:19 AM
Time to start taking the motorcycle to work. Or the bicycle!

Victor
04-27-2005, 10:42 AM
Aren't you the one who was raving about that big beautiful Dodge? Did you buy it? What was that, a month ago? Far be it from me to say what did you expect, but what did you expect?

km gresham
04-27-2005, 10:46 AM
Gas prices go up and gas prices go down. We all choose what we drive and in exchange for roomy powerful vehicles we spend more on gas. If we spend less on gas then we drive smaller less powerful vehicles.

It's all a personal choice. smile.gif

Chris Coose
04-27-2005, 05:11 PM
We all choose what we drive and in exchange for roomy powerful vehicles we spend more on gas. This is a beautiful, serene vision if you will believe the cost of gas is what you pay at the pump.

cs
04-28-2005, 05:54 AM
Don't get me wrong. I love my big truck with my big motor and yes it is neccessary. Just wish I didn't have to drive it to work every day.

No I didn't buy a big Dodge, just wanted one. If I had a motorcycle I would ride it to work. As far as walking or riding a bycycle, it takes me 30 minutes to drive to work (highway miles), so those other options are out of the question.

Here in a hour I've got to take the beast all the way to Knoxville to a job.

Chad

Jack Heinlen
04-28-2005, 05:56 AM
So Chad, what do ya need the big truck for? I don't mean to bust your balls, but my Mazda will haul a half ton of gravel, haul a two thousand pound trailer, and haul four adults, in a pinch. Why the V-6 or 8?

[ 04-28-2005, 06:59 AM: Message edited by: Jack Heinlen ]

cs
04-28-2005, 06:06 AM
Jack I don't think a Mazada would have hauled what I had on her the other weekend. I had 2800 lbs of topsoil and she pulled it like it wasn't nothing. Sit me down in the rear a little, but the motor never even broke a sweat.

Chad

LisaS
04-28-2005, 06:09 AM
My new (to me) motorcycle gets 52 mpg...woo hoo.

My scooter, which I ride to work on any days that I don't have to go anywhere but work and back home, gets 80 mpg..even better!

My truck stays in the driveway whenever possible, cause the old beast only gets 17 mpg at best.

Lisa

Wild Dingo
04-28-2005, 06:09 AM
Why fer haulin timber an stuff Jack!! ;)

I often used to think Id rather have a wee small petrol miser vehicle and actually bought a couple a Mitsubishi Lancer for myself and a Proton Persona for possumpoop... I quickly gave up the Lancer and got a Ford Station Wagon cause its got ROOM... now Ive just today upgraded to an F100 cause its got BLOODY LOTSA ROOM!! :D

Its a 6cyl beast that costs $80 to fill from 1/4 but it will cart ANYTHING I choose to toss into its copious bum end and that is what I need want and choose to have... buggar the small cramped things!

I still retain mums old Toyota Corolla which sits at Tiff and Bens waiting for me to buggar of for another bout of 2 weeks on 1 week off work cause I can simply jump in the thing and take of to Brunswick quick as a flash... but Im even thinking of selling that as I cant really justify needed or even wanting 3 flamin cars PLUS hers!!... but well I just got the F100 and really like the Ford so I will hang onto them two.

Doesnt matter what the price of fuel ends up rocketting to I will end up buying the muck cause quick frankly its to bloody far to walk to Bunbury let alone Perth... and well cant really imagine meself luggin a stack of timber back from the mill without a vehicle that can manage it can you?

cs
04-28-2005, 06:11 AM
Lisa I would jumping for joy if I got 17 mpg, more like 10 mpg. I could probably squeze another 4 or 5 with a couple of hundred dollars worth of work and if I can let go of my truck for a day or two I will get it done.

If I had a scooter or a motorcycle I would ride it to work.

Chad

Jack Heinlen
04-28-2005, 06:16 AM
Chad,

So with the Mazda I'd have made two trips. How often do you haul 2800 lbs of topsoil?

You get my point.

I wish I could have my '82 Honda Civic back, and didn't need a truck.

Which brings up the state of automotive engineering. That Honda, 1500 ccs, and nothing special in the valve train, was reliable, simple, and economical. Close to forty on the highway IIRC. Why, in over twenty years, haven't cars progressed much? I hear all the talk, and the best cars now, hybrid or not, have only increased the economy by maybe twenty percent.

That Honda was a great car, though it didn't stand up to New England road salt AT ALL.

[ 04-28-2005, 07:19 AM: Message edited by: Jack Heinlen ]

cs
04-28-2005, 06:23 AM
Jack that was just one of three trips. The other two times I carried 1800 lbs. A Mazada would have been pushing to carry half of that, say around 900lbs. So I carried a total of 6400 lbs in three trips. In a Mazada it would have taken 7 trips.

So which is more efficiant?

Jack I use a truck for a truck quite a bit.

Chad

Jack Heinlen
04-28-2005, 06:58 AM
If you really need it, nuff said. Too many buy for image, and the bed of the truck never sees a nick. But if you need it...

Shane, how's that F 100 treating you? As I said on a previous thread, I had one of them. Straight six, three on the tree. Impossible to kill! If I had half a brain, a screwdriver, and a cresent wrench to bang on things, it ran. The only vehicle I've ever owned where you could get cosy with the motor, standing next to it under the hood. It probably pulled 14 mpg on a good day, but it was a TRUCK. smile.gif

John Bell
04-28-2005, 07:08 AM
Originally posted by cs:
Jack that was just one of three trips. The other two times I carried 1800 lbs. A Mazada would have been pushing to carry half of that, say around 900lbs. So I carried a total of 6400 lbs in three trips. In a Mazada it would have taken 7 trips.

So which is more efficiant?

Jack I use a truck for a truck quite a bit.

ChadOr you could do what I do and get the guy who sold you the dirt to deliver it for $50-75. If you aren't hauling that kind of load on a weekly basis, it's gotta be cheaper than living with 10 mpg the rest of time.

Popeye
04-28-2005, 07:16 AM
i thought a mazada only showed up at christmas parades, wearing a little red fez

cs
04-28-2005, 02:37 PM
John you brought up a point I was hoping everyone would ignore. ;)

I wouldn't want to get rid of my truck with a big strong motor, but than again I don't want to have to drive it everyday.

Chad

John Bell
04-28-2005, 03:03 PM
Ya know, Chad... De-Nile ain't just a river in Egypt! :D ;)

I see a NEW CAR in your future.

cs
04-29-2005, 09:01 AM
You know John, if I could add this and keep my truck I would be happy.

http://i22.ebayimg.com/03/i/03/f1/88/7a_1_b.JPG

Chad

Garrett Lowell
04-29-2005, 09:09 AM
HAHA! No you wouldn't. Believe me.

cs
04-29-2005, 09:10 AM
I've had to MGBs and despite the maintance nightmare I still loved them.

Chad

John Bell
04-29-2005, 09:23 AM
Buy a used Miata instead... Good luck getting a 2-place convertible past SWMBO, though. It would be an easier sell if you picked up an older Corolla. ;)

cs
04-29-2005, 09:25 AM
I've had the 2-seat sports car and lost that battle. :(

Chad