PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Fried Rice Recipes

Jagermeister
01-19-2006, 04:08 PM
A friend gave me a giant sack of Basmati rice. I need to start using it up. So, I'm looking for some simple rice recipes. I searched online, but find the online recipes of limited use.

One method I'd like to do is cook the rice in a rice cooker, then heat oil in a skillet, and fry the rice with spices, vegetables, etc. It's which spices and vegetables to use that I'm asking about.

I'm pretty catholic (i.e., universal) in my tastes. I'll eat most anything except mollusks and snails.

So, any good rice recipes out there?

- Kevin

Meerkat
01-19-2006, 04:14 PM
Snails are molluscks ;)

Jagermeister
01-19-2006, 04:19 PM
No wonder I don't like them! :eek:

(I think of mollusks as the under-sea thingies).

- Kevin

[ 01-19-2006, 04:19 PM: Message edited by: Jagermeister ]

Meerkat
01-19-2006, 04:22 PM
I've had escargot and can take it or leave it, but oysters and clams are another thing! Yummie!

Did you do a google for fried ricepies? ;)

Donn
01-19-2006, 04:31 PM
Snails are slugs with shells. Blech.

SWMBO makes a risotto with Basmati and parmesan. It's fantastic, but I have no idea what the recipe is.

[ 01-19-2006, 04:49 PM: Message edited by: Donn ]

cedar savage
01-19-2006, 04:37 PM
There's a recipe for fried rice?

A. What meat you got cooked up?
B. What veggies you got fresh or frozen?
C. Do you like fried egg in your fried rice?

1. Got soy or teriyaki sauce?
2. Got ginger or curry powder?

In a non-stick pan, cook a beaten egg until firm, set aside and slice or dice.

Heat several tablespoons or so of oil (I like peanut oil) until a drop of water sizzles. Throw in a coupla cups of cooked rice, cold works better. Stir fry until some of the rice starts to turn a little brown. Splash on soy or teriyaki until the saltiness is right for you - alternately, sprinkle with ginger or curry powder.

Set rice aside and saute vegetables until crisp tender, throw in sliced or diced cooked meat. Add rice and egg and heat through again.

Meat/veggie combos:

Very thinly sliced onion & cabbage with leftover pork - roast or barbequed.

Frozen peas and carrots with thinly sliced chicken breast.

Diced fresh apple, peapods, diced ham.

Green onion, diced water chestnuts, popcorn shrimp.

For a change of pace- sprinkle with chow mein noodles or french fried onion when serving.

For more deluxe fried rice, combine several or all of the combos.

[ 01-19-2006, 04:41 PM: Message edited by: cedar savage ]

Another One
01-19-2006, 04:39 PM
http://recipesource.com/fgv/rice/

This close to dinner, the yellow rice with raisins and the baked rice with chilis both sound really good. But try this:

DIRTY RICE WITH SHRIMP

1/2 lb Raw rice, long grain
1/8 c Shortening
1 Bunch green onions, finely chopped
1 lb Shrimp, chopped
Butter
1 lb Red onions, chopped
2 Cloves garlic, chopped fine
1/4 Pod red pepper, chopped
1/8 Bunch parsley, chopped fine
Water

Cook rice until almost done. Saute onions in shortening, add shrimp and cook until brown. Add garlic, green onions, parsley, salt, red pepper and water. Pour over rice. When water is absorbed, place in large baking dish and dot with butter. Brown at 350 F. about 15 minutes.

Billy Bones
01-19-2006, 04:40 PM
I'll watch this thread with interest. I've tried and tried that basmati rice, as has my wife, and we've concluded that it makes good dog food -- and they seem to relish it far more than we do. Pretty good cooks ordinarily, we can't seem to come up with a good complement for the stuff.

good luck

ssor
01-19-2006, 04:41 PM
Fried rice is a method for using up the left overs. saute` some garlic, fresh ginger, a chilli or two, chop an onion and add that and find the little bit of leftover chicken, beef or pork or all three cut it into small dice and add that. Add a splash of soy sauce, stir in the rice and scramble in two or three eggs. If it seems too dry add some stock, cover and heat through. If you look closely at Chinese food there isn't much in it that is costly. Just a little meat, some veggies, lots of flavor and rice. :D

StevenBauer
01-19-2006, 04:51 PM
Basmati goes better with Indian food, curries and such. For fried rice you should look for Jasmine rice. It's stickier, not so nutty. Milo has the right idea, I'd change the order of cooking the ingredients perhaps. smile.gif It should be a quick easy process. The goal being to use up leftovers. One thing that hasn't been mentioned is Hot Oil. You've got to have some hot oil in there!

Steven

Donn
01-19-2006, 04:54 PM
Billy (and Kevin), the key to success with basmati is to rinse it several times in hot tap-water, followed by an equal number of times in cold tap-water, before cooking it. It's got a lot of starch in it, and this will rinse a lot of it away. If you don't rinse it (or if it's new crop instead of aged), you could use the resulting cooked rice for mortar.

Meerkat
01-19-2006, 04:54 PM
I've never been fond of Basmati rice. The flavor is too strong. Texmati is more palatable (cross of Basmati and "regular" rice), but even so, it's something for once in a great while, not a staple like regular rice.

cedar savage
01-19-2006, 05:07 PM
The goal is to turn leftovers into fried rice leftovers!

Dave Fleming
01-19-2006, 05:09 PM
J, check yer email! ;)

cedar savage
01-19-2006, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by Dave Fleming:
J, check yer email! ;) Obviously, a recipe far too good to share with the rest of us non-Californians.

Someday, my western Nevada acreage will be oceanfront.

Stiletto
01-20-2006, 01:55 AM
Sesame oil is nice for cooking fried rice.

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
01-20-2006, 08:03 AM
Fried rice by "Roger's Rule".

Pick a thing from the fridge.
Pick other nearby things from the fridge.

Stir-fry in wok (or whatever)
Add cooked rice.
Add raw egg(s).
Stir until the egg cooks.

Throw on plate(s) and eat.

The origin of "Roger's Rule", SWMBO and I were visiting Roger who was at the time running-in a new girlfriend. He was out in the yard and up to his elbows in dead triumph bonnie.

New girfriend shouts from kitchen "What do I cook this with?".
Roger replies, without looking up, "Whatever it was next to in the fridge".

No, its all right - we're not stopping - got to get back and...

But it usually works out ok.

Popeye
01-20-2006, 08:06 AM
try a curried rice salad , toss cold basmati rice with chopped bell peppers , apple, raisins and celery ~ with many variations.

dressing is oil and vinegar , prefer EVOO and apple cider vinegar w/ Tab of medium curry powder , s&p

[ 01-20-2006, 08:08 AM: Message edited by: popeye ]

Billy Bones
01-20-2006, 08:16 AM
Thanks, Donn and others. Keep em coming!

Popeye
01-20-2006, 08:31 AM
the local Indian palace makes a delicious rice-custard-pudding thingy, basically cold bas rice with sweetened milk and chopped almonds , something else in there also , maybe a little shredded coconut (?) or coconut milk perhaps , yummy

[ 01-20-2006, 08:35 AM: Message edited by: popeye ]

uncas
01-20-2006, 08:35 AM
popeye...with a dash of cinnamon on it.... :D

Popeye
01-20-2006, 08:40 AM
ohhh , and the butter chicken tiki masala on Friday ... is orgasmatron

uncas
01-20-2006, 08:44 AM
Damn...It's too early for dinner!!!!! :mad:

Popeye
01-20-2006, 09:00 AM
poached atlantic salmom with side of saffron rice and you will never look back

steam bas rice in diluted chicken stock and to this add pinch of saffron and handful of fresh green peas, dash of gnd blk pepper and add one whole http://www.novascotiasalmon.ns.ca/images/atlanticsalmon_dark.jpg

goes good with a couple of fish'n buddies who remembered to bring their wooly buggers

[ 01-20-2006, 09:11 AM: Message edited by: popeye ]

uncas
01-20-2006, 09:04 AM
keep it up popeye...and I'll find the rock ya live on by dinner... :D