PDA

View Full Version : Flamebait {C&P}

oldriverat
02-15-2004, 10:55 AM
The Problem: Flamebait
"Flamebait" (sometimes rendered "Flame Bait") is a subject that people feel strongly about and which almost always causes causes sharp divisions in viewpoint. In general, these topics involve sex, religion and politics. Here are some examples of topics that are considered flamebait:

Abortion
Atheism
Capital punishment
Gun control
Legalization of drugs

When flame war veterans see one of these topics come up, they often restrict their reply to something like, "This is flamebait; I'm not touching this topic." Inexperienced users, on the other hand, blithely charge in, and the same tired arguments are trotted out for the millionth time. Nobody changes their position and everybody gets irritated.

I'm Right; You're Hooked Top
The Problem: Trolling
Internet trolls are people who set out to start arguments or otherwise make people on message boards uncomfortable. They can do this by posting "flamebait" topics or by writing preposterous or insulting messages. (I have written an article that provides a more detailed explanation of "Internet Trolls"; you can click here to read it in a new window.)

Trolls may participate in the ensuing argument, or they may simply write what I call "Drive-by Postings". That is to say, they will ignite the flame war and then sit back and watch the show.

Cagey net users quickly recognize trolls for what they are and warn their fellow posters that "You are being trolled" (or words to that effect). However, since there is a constant influx of new users on the net, trolls are going to be able to entertain themselves for a long time to come.

Venchka
02-15-2004, 11:04 AM
Good one, Mike. :D

alteran
02-15-2004, 11:13 AM
M Mike speaks for himself in one of his earlier posts,

"I have often said things on here just as everyone else has just to incite."

LeeG
02-15-2004, 11:13 AM
good description. I'll admit to drive by posting.

Wild Dingo
02-15-2004, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by Memphis Mike:
The Problem: Flamebait... (I have written an article that provides a more detailed explanation of "Internet Trolls"; you can click here to read it in a new window.)So what gives??? mmmm I click there and nothin happens I click again I get slightly irritated I click again and Im gettin seriously irritated I click again me mouse does the off the desktop dance crashes to the floor whereby the next door neighbors cat whos seen the commotion rushes in through the open door snatches it up and bolts for the door rippin the flamin hard drive onto the floor upsettin the speakers throwin the digmal camera up in the air which I lithely catch one handed as I try to stop the monitor and keyboard from followin the mouse out the door ALL THE WHILE HOLDIN ME FLAMIN CUPPA COFFEE!!! This is not to mention the fact that I was in the midst of takin a drink which by the way does not taste any good when taken through the nasal passages nor through the eye sockets!! AND I might add the end of me bloody cigarette fell on landed on me flamin lap which because its bloody well over 100F right now means Im sittin here in me jocks and am now wearin a pair of very religious holey jocks and damn near shot the family joowels up in flames!!

Gonna post a flippin link Mike at least post the bloody thing!!!! :mad:

ooohhh aaahhh just a bit of innocent flamebait eh? got me eh? pretty clever aintcha?!! tongue.gif

Thats it mate yerve gone too flamin far this time :eek: ...Wheres our resident legal weegle??? :D Oooohhhh Mr Rosen sir!!! whatcha reckon I got a case against this Memphis person? eh?? well of course for punitive damages for pain an sufferin Mr Rosen sir!!! gawd strewth no worries mate I'll tell yer what that cruel meanassed fella did!!... first he posts a non existant link that would have to be false advertisin right? gotta have a case there surely?... then cause he posted that non existant link and I in my innocense clicked it... several times in fact!!... and well I truely thought Mike bein a mate an all wouldnt muck a mate about I mean I believed him!! and well I gotta admit when it didnt work Mr. Rosen sir I got a bit well I got a tad antsy

Which is when me mouse slipped outta me hand onto the floor broke me hard drive stuffed me speakers and damned near wrecked me ubeaut camera! AND... I burnt me lips eyes nose and gonads from the hot coffee I happened to be drinkin at the time of this happenin and bein a smoker... yes yes nasty habit and Im gonna give up I promise... ACTUALLY Mr Rosen sir to think on it... I was havin me last smoke right at that time and was about to butt it out when the end fell off and cause I was frantically choking and blinded by the hot coffee that it landed fair on me gronicles causeing intense pain Mr Rosen!...

I mean imagine boilin hot coffee... well okay it was purty hot... eeerr well alright it was hot... warm maybe? Okay then sheeesh it was flamin cold but I was about to make a hot one does that count??... BUT Mr Rosen sir the cigarette end was BLOODY HOT!!!... Imagine the pain the agony the stress the fear of havin burnt it beyond redemptshun!! ooohh the agon... eh? well yeah it wasnt that bad I guess well okay it was a tad burnt... eh? yeah everythin still funcshuns fine Mr. Rosen...

whaddayareckon we gots a case against this ere mate of mine this Memphis Mike charector or what?? :eek: oooooh Id settle for no less than several mill and your fee paid by him of course... NO WORRIES!!! Aint America just the ducks nuts!! Whataplace!! Only in America... eh? ohhh.. yeah of course Im still in Aussie but HES in the USA and well Woodenboat is based in the USA and well he posted from the USA and well...

Your advice on this matter is of the most urgent sort since he will probably now change the post to show a link that actually works! :D

But mate we all know that it would take me directly to the topless nude sweedish female swim team site wouldnt it!! HA :D tongue.gif

oldriverat
02-15-2004, 12:03 PM
Here's the link to the troll article Dingo.

http://members.aol.com/intwg/trolls.htm

Dutch.Rub
02-15-2004, 12:41 PM
This is flamebait, Im not touching this topic :D

LeeG
02-15-2004, 11:51 PM
remember the photo of Fonda/Kerry?,,,that was flamebait,,,

http://www.newsday.com/ny-kerry0215,0,1445946,print.story?coll=ny-top-headlines