PDA

View Full Version : Some child actors do pretty well

km gresham
03-20-2005, 02:07 PM
Ex-Child Star Schroder Avoids Pitfalls
Sunday, March 20, 2005

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. He did his first commercial when he was 5 and made his starring movie debut in "The Champ" just two years later. Then he got richer by playing a rich kid in the TV series "Silver Spoons." (search)

Today, says Rick (not Ricky) Schroder (search), "I can't really remember not being famous."

We've come to expect former child stars to have adult troubles, that those who spend their formative years surrounded by sycophants will melt down after puberty when they discover they need an assistant to match their shoes with their shirt.

Dana Plato tried to hold up a video store, then overdosed on painkillers. Todd Bridges, Gary Coleman and Danny Bonaduce all have prior arrests; the latter was once accused of beating up a transvestite prostitute. Barry Williams traded in "The Brady Bunch" for celebrity boxing against none other than Bonaduce. And 2005's top two celebrity defendants Michael Jackson and Robert Blake were both child stars.

But Schroder is that rarity the exception that proves the rule.

These days, at age 34, you'll find him living quietly in the well-tended suburbs of Phoenix, in a sun-drenched house with his wife of 14 years, their four entirely un-bratty children and a floppy little dog named Cookies. He grills steaks in the back yard, drives the kids to soccer practice and reads to them at bedtime. And he's still a sought-after actor.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,150928,00.html

uncas
03-20-2005, 02:32 PM
An exception does not prove the rule...Other way around. It disproves the rule.
Doesn't really matter, I don't know who any of them are except Jackson and Blake...

Phillip Allen
03-20-2005, 03:09 PM
Two others who come to mind are Shirley Temple and Mickey Rooney. If they had transition problems it was covered up well.

There have been others but I don't recall their names now...

Meerkat
03-20-2005, 06:33 PM
Shroeder still a sought after acter? Hardly! He bombed in NYPD Blues! IIRC, he bombed in several prior appearances too.

Phillip Allen
03-20-2005, 07:02 PM
(shroeder must be a Republican, huh...)

uh, sorry I couldn't help myself... smile.gif

[ 03-20-2005, 07:04 PM: Message edited by: Phillip Allen ]