PDA

View Full Version : Artist that get it

cs
12-07-2005, 07:15 AM
Okay, by now you guys probably know that I'm a music freak. I listen to everything and anybody, within reason. I've reacently decided that their are a few artist that really get it. You may question my choices, but I stick by them.

Sometimes groups like TLC put out a few songs that are great and really make you think, but they don't have the complete "get it" factor.

You may wonder what the "get it" is. Well maybe that is one of those things that if I have to tell you, you will never get it. But maybe not, so I'll try.

Music is not about making money, although the ones that do get it probably make a lot on music. Music is about making you smile, making you think and even making you cry (although us manly men don't cry). Music is about reaching out and touching someone. Sure Waterfalls and Sumthin' Wicked This Way Comes fall into that catagory, well maybe TLC does get it. But let me add some more to the list and please don't laugh.

Artist that "get it"

John Denver
Stevie Ray Vaughn
James Taylor
Jimmy Buffett
Pink Floyd

Chad

Edited to add Pink

[ 12-07-2005, 07:18 AM: Message edited by: cs ]

Mrleft8
12-07-2005, 07:19 AM
"Sensitive" is the "it" yer looking for eh?
I'm thinkin' John Entwhistle, John Lennon, Paul Butterfield, Gary Newman.... Warren Zevon.

uncas
12-07-2005, 07:22 AM
Chad..
Would agree with all of you except Denver...
If he got it....his land development, condos etc. got in the way.

cs
12-07-2005, 07:22 AM
Not neccesarly sensitive, but close. Ones that get it, have a connection with the music and their audiance.

I used to think Lennon got it and he probably did, that may be why I have some of his music, but I have a hard time listning to him anymore.

Chad

Memphis Mike
12-07-2005, 07:26 AM
There are so many to add but I'm thinking Sheryl Crow at the moment.

I watched some of the Billboard Music Awards last night and I have to say there are very few new artists that I like.

uncas
12-07-2005, 07:27 AM
My connection with his (Denver's) music was basically destroyed by what he was doing with his bucks...He became to me...a hypocrite...
I used to...early on by his (Tapes back then ) but stopped doing that.
I might add Cat Stevens to your list...the earlier years. and maybe Simon and Garfunkel.

Garrett Lowell
Vivaldi. Particularly with the "Spring" movements.
Mozart.
Grant Lee Buffalo.
Beck.
Charlie Musselwhite.
Handel.
The composer of the original "Battlestar Galactica" Theme Song.

cs
Mike, if you had flipped over a few more channels you might have caught Denver on PBS. So much better than Mariah Carrey. :rolleyes:

Despite what someone mentioned above ;) Denver does get it and there is a reason he is at the top of my list.

Chad

uncas
12-07-2005, 07:32 AM
Chad..I guess that I am that someone..
Would have agreed with you 30+ yrs. ago...just not anymore.
He is a bit like Tracy Chapman...whose music pleads poverty and a rough life...She went to private schools...all paid for...Tufts etc.
Heck, she went to one of the schools I taught at and the Tuition was not cheap.
Both ssay one thing and do somethin' else..

If ya only go by the music..okay you're right...but if you add in the personal lives and what these two do...well...on'es respect for what they sing goes downhill.

Memphis Mike
12-07-2005, 07:35 AM
What did Denver develope Jamie? Not meaning to hijack your thread Chad but I'm curious.

uncas
12-07-2005, 07:40 AM
Mike...my understanding...and this was a long time ago...I'm not even sure whether I can find the articles...Condos and land development in CO.
It may have been on the radio...
Anyway...the information stuck in my mind.

His music does fit in with Chad's rationale and as I wrote earlier...I used to get his music for the reasons Chad indicated...

I think if you look at music from the early-mid seventies...A lot of the what I would call folk singers fit this criterea...
Am not sure about today's batch...I Like Crow but...have not decided that she fits in with the above.

psss...I don't think this is a hijack...in the strict sense...I just was disagreeing with Chad about Denver...who was oon his list...for reasons other than his music. :D

[ 12-07-2005, 07:43 AM: Message edited by: uncas ]

Victor
12-07-2005, 07:53 AM
Boy, what a white man's list! Interesting idea Chad, but I don't think you'll get much agreement on who's "got it" and who doesn't. I suppose you mean music for its own sake and in its own style. Seems like we all agree not much has been done since the 80s that really stands out - even the FM stations seem to agree - but if there are any black men on the WBF they might mention some groups no one else has thought of.

I still like some of the technopop stuff that came out in the early 80s. After that it seems everyone went back to your basic rocknroll. The 90s, like the late 70s, seemed driven more by money than by artistry.

How bout Highway 101 and Widespread Panic?

[ 12-07-2005, 07:54 AM: Message edited by: Victor ]

cs
12-07-2005, 08:03 AM
Victor, if you noticte I have TLC on the list, and they wouldn't be considered on your average "white man's" list.

You could probably add Barry White and Lionell Rithce to the list.

I knew Denver would be a controvrosial add, but IMHO he still gets it.

Chad

Victor
12-07-2005, 08:07 AM
Oh cmon, Barry White?! OK, a white WOMAN's list! How bout Bob Marley and Jimi Hendrix, at least?

Garrett Lowell
12-07-2005, 08:09 AM
Are you black, Victor? Because, if you aren't, then you're just talking out your ass.

uncas
12-07-2005, 08:10 AM
Music should be color blind!!!!

cs
12-07-2005, 08:16 AM
Now that I think about, Bob Marley gets it also.

En Vogue talks about being color blind.

free your mind and the rest will follow, be colorblind, don't be so shallow(before you read me you gotta learn how to see me)But that is for another thread and not this one. En Vogue don't really make my list.

Chad

[ 12-07-2005, 08:17 AM: Message edited by: cs ]

Victor
12-07-2005, 08:19 AM
That's all you EVER do, Garrett! What do YOU consider real music, as if I wanted to know.

cs
12-07-2005, 08:21 AM
Please no fighting on this thread. Let us listen to the music and learn from it.

Chad

Mrleft8
12-07-2005, 08:24 AM
Gil Scott Heron? K'eb Mo'?

Garrett Lowell
12-07-2005, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by Victor:
That's all you EVER do, Garrett! What do YOU consider real music, as if I wanted to know.Since I don't equate music with race, I will tell you with no qualms my preferred music:
Blues, Classical, Funk, Jazz, Motown, Pop, Rap, Rock, TV Themesongs (a sorely overlooked genre, in my opinion). Or, you could look at my previous post and get a feel for what I was listening to on my way in to the office this morning.

cs
12-07-2005, 08:46 AM
Some artist have brief moments when the "get it", but they never follow up on it.

Two that come to mind is Akon with Lonely and Usher with his Confessions CD.

Chad

Tristan
12-07-2005, 08:54 AM
Burl Ives

cs
12-08-2005, 06:55 AM
Lets keep this one going. Any others out there?

Chad

emichaels
12-08-2005, 06:57 AM
George Winston
REM
Billy Holiday
Johnny Cash

[ 12-08-2005, 06:57 AM: Message edited by: emichaels ]

Garrett Lowell
12-08-2005, 07:08 AM
Ray Charles, Average White Band (sorry Victor), Vince Guaraldi, The Moody Blues. I saw The Moody Blues in an acoustic performance at The Birchmere back in the '90s. That was an incredible performance, particularly "I'm Just A Singer In A Rock & Roll Band".

Uncle Duke
12-08-2005, 07:59 AM
Nice to see the Birchmere mentioned. One of the few places where the audience actually goes quiet while someone is playing. And the food at the new Birchmere is actually edible, which you couldn't really say about the previous spots.

I'd add:
Richard Thompson
Steve Earle
Etta James
Chet Baker
Stan Getz
Tony Rice
Johnny Paycheck
Danny Gatton

Garrett Lowell
12-08-2005, 08:11 AM
Ahh yes, I'd forgotten Danny Gatton. His signature move was snatching a beer bottle from someone in the audience and using it as a slide for his axe. I saw him at what used to be called Broadstreet Bar and Grille in Falls Church, back when I lived in that cool little city. Not sure what the place is called now, it changes names about once a month (it's at the corner of 7 and 29). I was so shocked when I learned of his suicide.

Uncle Duke
12-08-2005, 08:49 AM
Garrett - I remember Broad Street well. Gone, of course, in the "urban renewal" of downtown ("Historic") Falls Church, which seems to have stopped mid-point. There is now a bland brick building there with one of those generic Irish bars ("Murphy's"?). Smithwicks on tap, though, so that's something. Town still looks much the same, despite the "renewal", except for heavier traffic.
Just up the street (29) from that corner, though is the State Theater, which used to be a movie theater but now shows music. They book some decent people ("New Riders of the Purple Sage" and "The Wailers" coming up, for example, as well as a "Jefferson Starship Reunion w/friends and Country Joe MacDonald"). Noisy, at least the last time I was there.
So there's still life in Falls Church....