PDA

View Full Version : Showdown

LeeG
02-25-2003, 05:16 PM
anyone else bothered by the "Showdown with Saddam" title on the news? SH and GW aren't engaged in a duel. Ok,,so I'm trolling for mindless chatter.

Peter Malcolm Jardine
02-25-2003, 06:14 PM
The street was hot, dusty and deserted. Somewhere in the distance a dog howled mournfully. Sheriff Dubya stepped out the cool adobe doorway of the Jailhouse into the seering heat of the noonday sun. :mad: His face was lined with years of thinking about justice and good.and his dad. and chocolate bars.and ..I forget. :D His eyes darted to the clock tower on the saloon down the street. Almost 12. Time was running out. There wasn't much time. He could wait, but not much longer. He was patient but time was running out. Time was something he did not have a lot to give. He wasn't prepared to give much more of his time.The time was coming to act. He didn't need permission to run out of time. With or without a resolution, the time was coming. Time it at the running out of. :confused:
But wait........... :eek:

The lonely clip clop of a single camel humping its way into town reached his ears. :cool: So this was it. The day had finally arrived. All his preparation was not in vain. Saddam "Chico" Hussein had finally called his bluff. tongue.gif Sheriff Dubya checked his guns. They were clean and loaded. He checked his grenades. He checked his GPS targeting system that would alert the Apache helicopters over the next rise. He checked his secure radio transmitter that would activate the large armored division behind the general store. He checked his satellite uplink with the B-52 bomber squadron circling the town, as well as the Carrier group standing offshore. He was ready. As ready as any man could be facing a clearly inferior force of one man and a camel could be. ;) Let this camel of mass destruction come. :rolleyes: This town would not prove big enough for both of their eg... both of them.

stan v
02-25-2003, 06:20 PM
http://www.richmichaels.com/Bomb%20Iraq,%20Vince%20Vance.mp3

Peter Malcolm Jardine
02-25-2003, 06:40 PM
Stan, you could be his depuddy.. :rolleyes:

Greg H
02-25-2003, 06:52 PM
Who is the tall skinny man in the turban, peering out of the upstairs window at Miss Kitty's House of the Seven Virgins? Could it be that Osama's been unloaden......

NormMessinger
02-25-2003, 07:07 PM
Lee, did Greg pay you to set that one up for him?

That's worth five stars.

Rex Fearnehough
02-25-2003, 07:12 PM
"a single camel humping its way into town" Good grief! What a strange way to travel.
http://images.animfactory.com/animations/animals/camels/jerry_camel_walking_md_wht.gif
Sorry Ladies. I couldn't resist it.

Rocky
02-25-2003, 07:18 PM
FYI that's SEVENTY virgins, Infidel!

Hughman
02-25-2003, 09:36 PM
It's a small town, Rocky.

Five stars from me too, Peter and Greg!! :D :D :D :D :D

imported_Steven Bauer
02-25-2003, 10:11 PM
:D :D :D :D :D

Greg H
02-26-2003, 09:11 AM
Ah think the man in the big hat is shootin' blanks, Colin....

swamp_yankee
02-26-2003, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by LeeG:
anyone else bothered by the "Showdown with Saddam" title on the news? SH and GW aren't engaged in a duel. Ok,,so I'm trolling for mindless chatter.Let me guess: Fox? :rolleyes:

Although, frankly, it could be any of them. The GE network (NBC) is probably pretty psyched! Hell, talk about your 'synergies'!!!

Anyway, I'm not bothered by it at all ... because I don't watch the TV news! I suggest that you try it! You'll be amazed at how much better informed you'll be if you simply smash that box with a nice big hammer (16lb sledge is what I'd recommend, it's the most satisfying!)

LeeG
02-26-2003, 10:30 AM
when I was 16 I had the chance to toss a big rock into a tv,,was satisfying but breaking 8' flourescent tubes is better.

Rocky
02-26-2003, 10:44 AM
The trick with TV is figuring out where the good stuff is and taping it. Newspapers are no better and neither is the net. There's more on MSNBC, 60 Minutes and 20/20 than you'll find in the Times since they decided it was more profitable to print all the news they're told to print. Baba's just an anchor, ignore her. I could see her with Saddam! "So tell me about Uday, where does he get those clothes!"

LeeG
02-26-2003, 11:01 AM
It's Fox network, and nearly every magazine cover. It's a simplistic distillation of a complex conflict to a target, a bullseye, a kill.
Reading this mornings paper about the escalation of cost estimates from the proponents of the war is more telling than a picture of SH in a bullseye. OBL is out, SH is in, who's next? "At any cost" gets mighty costly.
Another article talks about the ideological rift between upperclass Arab allies and the US. This is a pre-emptive attack. It's not like Israel taking out a nuclear plant, or special operations in covert assasinations. It's wholescale war half way around the world where neighbor killing neighbor has worked quite well for millenia. McDonalds and representative democracy is going to integrate tribal, religious and class friction???? It would be fantastic if it were to occur but this sure feels like we're satisfying OBLs goals of fomenting an East/West war to bring down the ruling govt's in the region. The US is becoming a colonial power to the region. Therefore OBL gets more volunteers.

NormMessinger
02-26-2003, 11:10 AM
Hey, ease up. Diplomicy is working. First Sadam was wanting to duel Bush. Now he is talking debate. That's progress.

LeeG
02-26-2003, 12:11 PM
Morning Norm,,I can't tell if it's progress or entropy. SH. is now a thoughtful face engaged in civil question and answer session with one of the high priests of Communication. While guns are put into position. Just from a perspective of propoganda it looks bad for the US but I haven't seen the show yet. It's weird as all hell reading SH. speeches in context of how he runs his country. He's a leader and politician.
He wanted hegemony in the Middle East and an Arabic unity led by him. He was shot down in the Iran/Iraq war, Desert Storm and this. The region never wanted his rule but it sure doesn't want our rule which is what it looks like from the citizens there. I just don't see occupation solving the problems of proliferating "WOMD" and regional or international terrorism. Well I'll take it on faith that it is,,,but it would be a pisser if Rumsfield has a change of mind in 20yrs like McNamara did.

Rocky
02-26-2003, 12:17 PM
Right, "We knew it wouldn't work but we were afraid to appear cowardly."

LeeG
02-26-2003, 12:51 PM
Rocky, except the operating principle here seems to be make it up as you go Afghanistan was a response to 9/11 with the clear statement "we are not going to be nation building" which doesn't make sense because lack of control of borders and training facilities is what enabled OBL to grow.
Containment of communism at least had nations to identify as a threat. But what is the US doing here, containing fundamentalist islamic terrorism by occupying an already contained country to a degree that USSR and China never were.

Occupation of iraq was denied as a follow up to deposing Saddam then embraced in a matter of 6 months, am I wrong on that?

Peter Malcolm Jardine
02-26-2003, 01:17 PM
Everyone in Bushville had seen the thin stranger, but nobody knew if he was connected with Chico Hussein. Miss Kitty didn't know, Mr Ziffel at the General store didn't know, even Sheriff Dubya didn't know much. tongue.gif He mused to himself... "Patience my ass, I just want to kill something" :mad: . The strain of being Sheriff was starting to show. The long hours, the decisions, even trying to figure out what was going on was difficult :confused: How would it all end? It was time to march into Chico Hussein's desert lair and lay everything waste...Hussein's people would thank him in the end.... and if they didn't so what? How was he accountable to a desert scoundrel..or any one else for that matter. The axes of evil would be found. and then sharpened and given to some farmer who could really use them :rolleyes:

LeeG
02-26-2003, 01:28 PM
and little Betty, the farmers 8yr old daughter says "but daddy, what will we do with sharp axes of evil? we live on the edge of a desert where there are no trees, our cattle free range and what farming we do is fenced with metal stakes and poles. What we need is a backhoe of evil to dig a new canal from the river or a driller of evil to get the deeper aquifer, can we get one of those?"

"hold on little Betty, that's next years project we need the axes of evil to show the other farmers we can scare up funds for a backhoe of evil, so they're loan us the money for the upkeep on the evil, er backhoe.

Peter Malcolm Jardine
02-26-2003, 01:37 PM
"Besides lil darlin, when the axes of evil are ground, all thing will be well and all matter of things will be well, for Sheriff Dubya will save us... from people who live miiiiillions of miles away from us, and don't even know where we live. but they are a menace, never forget that Betty,and if you think differently, its.. its ... it's TREASON that's what it is.. and Sheriff Dubya deserves better than treasonous lying, thieving, democratic objectors of agressive foreign policy doesn't he?"

"But Daddy," Lil Betty said, "Didn't sheriff Dubya give Chico Hussein some of the guns he has? and before Chico, some of the older people say it was Shazam of Iraq, and he treated everyone even meaner than Chico...? "
"Shush now Chile!" said her father, "don't be confusing the situation with facts and history!!
....Or you will branded treasonous and go to be with out supper"

ishmael
02-26-2003, 01:43 PM
THE KINGS OF THE WORLD

The Kings of the world are growing old,
and they shall have no inheritors.
Their sons died while they were boys,
and their neuraesthenic daughters abandoned
the sick crown to the mob.

The mob breaks it into bits of gold.
The Lord of the World, master of the age,
melts them in fire into machines,
which do his orders with low growls;
but luck is not on their side.

The ore itself feels homesick,
it wants to abandon the minting houses
and the wheels that offer it such a meager life.
And out of factories and payroll boxes
it wants to go back into the veins
of the thrown open mountain,
which will close again behind it.

Rilke (trans. Bly)