View Full Version : Now hear this!

John Bell
03-29-2003, 09:45 PM
Put away your keyboards and go fishing.

We didn't catch a thing, but to tell the truth, we didn't try that hard either. Instead, we spent most of the day throwing rocks into the water. Very theraputic. Try it, maybe you'll like it too.

03-29-2003, 10:09 PM
Throwing rocks at the water instead of one another. What a novel concept :rolleyes:

Wild Dingo
03-29-2003, 10:18 PM
Good on yer John and young fella :cool: Bet it was a hoot :D

ken mcclure
03-29-2003, 10:25 PM
smile.gif Some of my best times fishing were when I didn't even bait the hook.

03-29-2003, 10:26 PM
I haven't been fishing in a coon's age, but some of my fondest memories arise from when I was about that fellas age.

My parents were great fisherfolk. Not that they were terribly good at it, and fishing mostly meant a hook and a worm or minnow, and a lazy day of sandwiches and Pepsi on the Barj, out in the lake.

Barj was (still is, I assume) a 26 ft. Chris Craft Sea Skiff, and the lake was (is) Mullett Lake, in the tip of the Southern Peninsula of Michigan. Pop was a mid-level exec. at BF Goodrich and Mom was a teacher and realtor. Their one month at Mullett each year was made for fishing. Mine too, until I got old enough to sail by myself.

Early mornings, some late nights, found the Barj out at 'the rockpile' or over at Needle Point for small mouths, or at 'the meadows' for perch and walleye and northerns.

I didn't know it then, but those were the best days to be alive I've ever known.

[ 03-29-2003, 11:29 PM: Message edited by: ishmael ]

03-29-2003, 10:30 PM
I don't see how anyone can decide what fishing gear to buy. I was in Cabela's Kearney store, one of the smaller ones, today shopping for a woodchuck trap. We passed by the fishing department, one of the largest ones in the store. A thousand rod and real combinations, a million lures, and a billion miscellaneous stuff. To bad they've outlawed dynamite.

John Bell
03-29-2003, 10:34 PM

Notice the rod and reel in Evan's hand: the venerable Zebco 33. Got the combo for $10 on sale at Bass Pro Shops. We've already caught a lot of fish with that thing. A worm, cricket, or minnow under a bobber will catch just as many fish as the latest techno gizmo lures.

Wild Dingo
03-29-2003, 10:38 PM
John do you get them little green tree frogs over there?... mmmm but then Id hazard a guess and suggest almost any small frog would be okay... fish go ballistic for them! :D

Live bait of course they swim harder that way :eek:

John Bell
03-29-2003, 10:50 PM
We're too far north for tree frogs, Shane.

I will admit to having fished with a frog for bait before, but found it distasteful. It's getting too close to a mammal for me to stick a hook through it for bait. I'm less sympathetic to minnows, worms, and bugs.

The other day I ate lunch in a restaurant in Minoqua, Wisconsin where there was a huge 47 lb. muskellunge mounted on the wall. There was a note on the mount that said this fish was found floating on a nearby lake, choked to death on an adult duck! I'm not sure how you 'choke to death' a fish, though. But it does bring to mind the image of baiting your hook with the leftover Easter ducks for a little muskie fishing in a
few weeks. Think that would get PETA in a dither?! :D

03-29-2003, 11:26 PM
Oh Great!!! You bunch of epletive, expletive, expletives... I was going to get a heap of jobs done next weekend and now , thanks to you bunch of expletive, expletive, expletives I am to have to go expletive FISHING instead!!!
Bugger! ;) ;)

Wild Dingo
03-30-2003, 01:24 AM
a bit of a mongrel eh Chris ;) damned if I can figure how a fella can take it :rolleyes:

I mean fishin! :eek: ...whew the thought sends a fella racin for the shed and his lines the garden of sacrifice to find the sweetest virgin tree frog for bait on the sacraficial alter of fishin :cool:

mind you young mmd will be a right gigglin gurty when he hears how our weather has turned... downright rainy around here... great for ducks I guess and heck we need it but I mean heuy just seems to have opened up the heavens and let rip!! been thunderstorms lightning and p***** rain since yesty arvo!! :( ... mind you its not cold still aroun 28C just flamin wet tongue.gif

03-30-2003, 07:44 AM
There's a difference between "Going fishing", and "Going to catch fish". "Going fishing" implies that you are taking fishing gear with you, and if things go terribly wrong, you'll come home with fish. "Going to catch fish" implies that you actually INTEND to bring home fish.

Dutch Rub
03-30-2003, 08:00 AM
John this question may be out of place here but that is some unusual looking construction on that there boat-is that MDO ply yur boy is kneeling on and the side seem to be about 3/4 inch thick with no rub strake?

John Bell
03-30-2003, 12:53 PM
Mr8: I always "go fishing". I never go to catch fish! ;) "Going fishing" sounds more productive than "going to ride around in the boat and do nothing".

Dutch: It is MDO, but painted to match the local mud. There is a bit of trim on the side, but it is strictly on the outside. The topsides are 3/8" MDO.