• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alan D. Hyde
    • Jul 2000

The World--- The Kermadec Islands

Almost uninhabited.

A marine refuge.

But with some anchorages, if permission is obtained, and care is taken not to disturb the coral.

See---

See also--- http://www.nationalgeographic.com/w ildworld/profiles/terrestrial/oc/oc0107.html

Anyone been there yet?

John B. and Kiwis?

Aussies??

Others?

Alan

[ 05-03-2005, 03:36 PM: Message edited by: Alan D. Hyde ]
  • Tom Fetter
    Recalcitrant Heretic
    • Jun 2003

Lord, lord lord ...

How long would it take to sail there, starting from say Halifax?

Man, that's pretty.

t
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Comment

• J. Dillon
      Senior Old Salt # 650
      • Oct 1999

Back in 92 I had shipped out aboard the topsail schooner R. Tucker Thomson out of the Bay of Islands NZ bound for Tonga. On the way we stopped at this group and went ashore. The stop was prearranged. The thing I remember the most was how over run the place was with rats. At the time there was I think 5 people stationed there a sizmologist, metoroligist ( pardon spelling) an all round mechanic to keep thing going and I forget the other specilaties. A tale this varied group told. They were all especially selected and advanced first aid was one of items demanded of them.
      During training back in Aukland one "trainee" was stitching up an emergency room patient He was obsrved by an old lady standing by. After a few mintutes she commented " You've never done this before have you ?"
      They were a wild bunch with lots of racus signs around regarding there one luxuary a swimming pool.
      I got lots of pix but unfortunately there all 35MM slides.

We brought them fresh provisions and they furnished all the beer which they had plenty of. They had to commit to the islands for one year and often some of them would ship out on any passing yacht.

Paradise can have short comings...... like rats.

It looks like the place has come a long way since.

JD
      Senior Ole Salt # 650

Comment

Working...