PDA

View Full Version : Bucket

Paul
07-24-2001, 01:37 PM
Does anyone have plans or know where I can get plans to construct a cedar bucket for ocasional use on my Haven 12.5. I'm looking for something that would fit in the aft compartment, so it would be mid size. I don't really care to go the plastic route.

Ed Harrow
07-24-2001, 02:00 PM
Ummmm, do you mean hine (sp?) size?

Jeff Kelety
07-24-2001, 03:47 PM
You know, we had a fairly detailed discussion on cedar buckets a while back. I searched on bucket but couldn't find it. Who knows, maybe I spelled "bucket" wrong.

Bob Cleek
07-24-2001, 04:35 PM
Uh... plans? for a bucket? Seems easy enough to design your own, no? use a compass to divide the base diameter in six and six again and however many multiples of six. Same for the lip. Now you know the width of the staves at the top and bottom. The length is up to you. Anyway, it's like planking a boat, no? I would check out the books that the fellow from the Woodwright's Shop show has out. I'll bet there's an old bucket in there. Also check out early American crafts books. The Foxfire series, maybe. You'll find a bucket quick enough.

Mike in SC
07-24-2001, 04:50 PM
Paul- okay a bit of Yankee inginuity. Find a plastic bucket a little smaller than what you are looking for. Measure diameter of top and bottom. On heavy paper, make a circle the same size as the bucket top and in the center of that make a circle for the bottom. Bisect circles in half, quarter, eigths, etc., untill you have the stave size you want. Cut out one to use as pattern. Again make the two circles, this time on pieces of scrap plywood and cut out. Again bisect until you get to your stave size. Nail short pcs of 1"X1" scrap around the top edge of the larger circle, in the center of the area marked for each stave. Place this (blocks on top) on shop stool and attach staves to blocks with spring clamps. Wrap with a strip duct tape to help hold in place. Do same to smaller circle, but you will have to bevel it first and place the blocks further in from the edge to get the staves to fit snugly against each other. Run a circle or two of duct tape around the center and it should then be stable enough to figure the correct bevel for the staves. Too, you should be able to figure optimum placement and size of the bottom and be able to mark the staves for the rabbit it will fit into. Gad- it's late I gotta fly and pick up the pet human. Will try and get back to review/modify this in the next day or so. Good Luck!

PugetSound
07-25-2001, 02:56 AM
Yankee ingenuity? in South Carolina?
http://media5.hypernet.com/~dick/ubb/rolleyes.gif

Frank Wentzel
07-25-2001, 08:17 AM
At the risk of taking the procedure from a sublime use to the profane - how about the bird's-mouth mast method. A bucket is only a very short tapered mast with a plug at one end.

/// Frank ///

Mike in SC
07-25-2001, 09:24 AM
Puget- SC natives are a scarcity on the coast. We're all carpet baggers here- I hail from the Jersey Shore by way of NH & ME. Someday Bubba will wise up and run us all into the sea.

J. Dillon
07-25-2001, 09:30 AM
If you're not inclined to make a wooden bucket, The're inclined to show up at local flea markets and garage sales. Seems to have been a decorators item years ago.

JD

dasboat
07-25-2001, 11:49 AM
Made one once.Just bought a redwood planter from the home depot and coppied it's layout.
I extended two of the staves to allow for a handle or harness,and walla.
One prob was rings.I used thin wood that I soaked and bent around the bucket,then when dry,epox.to itself not the bucket.I did several layers of this untill the rings were proud of the bucket so as to act as fenders.
Another prob.was selecting the wood for the handle staves.Verticle grain may not be strong enough to lift a bucket because the grain runs in the direction of stress,so I used flat grained pieces.
Cant say it was the best looking thing on the planet,but it was a prototype and worked well.
Dasboat

Mike DeHart
07-25-2001, 01:08 PM
You mean to tell me that in today’s wonderful world of engineered materials and never-ever-need-maintenance super googes that no one has plans for a cold molded, strip planked, CPES impregnated, dynel reinforced, 5200 bonded/caulked/coated, stitch-n-glue, West encapsulated, plywood bucket? How about a nice maintenance free f****glass bucket?

Cedar? Harrrummmph! You people probably want such nonsense as pine tar, too!

(;-}

dasboat
07-25-2001, 02:46 PM
Mike,ROTFLMAO.
Sometimes it's the journey.
Dasboat

Nicholas Carey
07-25-2001, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by Paul:
Does anyone have plans or know where I can get plans to construct a cedar bucket for ocasional use on my Haven 12.5. I'm looking for something that would fit in the aft compartment, so it would be mid size. I don't really care to go the plastic route.

Hmmm... cooperage is actually a very skilled craft and much more difficult than it seems (there'a a reason that a 5 gallon wine keg will cost you upwards of 80-100 $US.)

You might want to consider an old-fashioned canvas bucket, which has the additional utility of collapsing when not in use.

N.
--

Bob Cleek
07-25-2001, 09:17 PM
I like the cold molded idea! Seriously, you could get a mess of veneer stock and an old bucket. Start laying it up with epoxy! Or you could just faux paint a plastic bucket to look wooden. Since buckets don't last long on boats, owing to lubbers who toss them astern while underway, trying to rinse them out, maybe a cheap plastic bucket isn't such a bad idea after all. Think about what you will be using it for!

BTW, what do you mean by "occasional use?" Like, are you only planning to use it once in a while when you want that real serious traditional feeling?

[This message has been edited by Bob Cleek (edited 07-25-2001).]

dasboat
07-25-2001, 10:32 PM
No Bob,he means when he is (occasionally) sinking and needs to bail.
Dasboat

Dale Harvey
07-26-2001, 09:09 AM
Actually, when used as a sanitary device, the traditional cedar bucket is much better with a layer of epoxy/glass inside. This is not the sort of application where a leak from a dried out bucket will go unnoticed.

ken mcclure
07-26-2001, 09:13 AM
I say forget the bucket. Put up lifelines and make sure the stanchions are sturdy. That's why they call it a "poop deck" isn't it?

ALWAYS use the leeward side.

Dan Wilder
07-26-2001, 12:19 PM
If you're interested in the canvas bucket idea (which might be advantageous in a smaller cockpit) check out "The Marilinspike Sailor" by Hervey Garret Smith (sp?). His bucket is simple and real salty looking.

tjs
07-29-2001, 01:42 AM
The Pardeys have plans for a canvas "better bucket" in "Cost Conscious Cruiser", that I really like. Small enough not to jerk you overboard when sailing along, stiff enough to stand upright, has a weight in the rim that makes it tip over and fill every time. It has a good rope grommet inside the rim so it can be fit inside a circle sawn out of a box. Then it wont smash if you wanted to sit on it for some reason.

T.KAMILA
07-29-2001, 06:32 AM
Go to the local library and find a series of books published back in the seventies called Fox Fire. In one of those books there is an article about constructing wooden buckets. The key to making the staves of different widths to have the right angle is to construct a simple jig to create the angle with. It is two sticks about twice the radius of the bucket long. Put a simple strap hinge at one end. With the pivot of the hinge as the center of the bucket measure out and mark the distance of the small radius and the large radius of the bucket. Split out a new stave. Flatten it to thickness. Use the gage to create the large angle at the top of the stave. Lock the gage to that angle and the bottom width and angle is created from the other corresponding line.
Better to find the article.

islandboy
07-29-2001, 07:58 AM
get plastic,go sailing!!

Hugh Paterson
07-29-2001, 04:15 PM
Ok fellas why dont we all have a bucket building contest post results/photos for all to wonder or gawk at in the near future, any takers? Quite fancy trying it in double diagonal veneer using my scrap wood. hee hee hee.

Scott Rosen
07-30-2001, 09:30 AM
I wouldn't use a canvas bucket for sanitary purposes. Yuck!

Church of the Holey Wooden Boat
07-30-2001, 05:16 PM
Try <www.lehmans.com> search for "Bucket".
***kwmcclure***
posted 07-26-2001 09:13 AM
I say forget the bucket. Put up lifelines and make sure the stanchions are sturdy. That's why they call it a "poop deck" isn't it?
ALWAYS use the leeward side.
**I remember an analysis of man overboard incidents that found a majority of victims were relieving themselves over the side prior to disembarking. I think it was one of the USCG "safety at sea seminars" (DO they still sponsor those?)

Eb
07-30-2001, 05:50 PM
Might need a bit of new planking...
http://commerce.clubphoto.com/_cgi-bin/getImage.pl?imgID=5056199&trans=

Eb

Eb
07-30-2001, 05:53 PM
Then there is the jumbo size....
http://members8.clubphoto.com/_cgi-bin/getImage.pl?imgID=5056208&trans=

Eb