PDA

View Full Version : security measures useless...

martin schulz
09-14-2004, 03:02 AM
against action heros like...dadadadadada Batman

http://bilder.bild.t-online.de/BTO/news/2004/09/14/buckingham__palace__batman/batman,property=Bild.jpg

On the roof of the Buckingham Palace.

[ 09-14-2004, 04:03 AM: Message edited by: martin schulz ]

Concordia..41
09-14-2004, 04:23 AM
Er - EVERYONE knows superheroes are er well...superheros :D

- M

Donn
09-14-2004, 05:21 AM
On the roof?

http://galleries.media24.com/News24/Batman%20protest%20at%20Buckingham%20Palace/5.jpg

[ 09-14-2004, 06:31 AM: Message edited by: Donn ]

Andrew Craig-Bennett
09-15-2004, 03:07 AM
He's right next to the balcony that the royal family are accustomed to wave from at the end of state occasions. Good choice of spot. There is quite a lot of sympathy for his cause ("Fathers for Justice" is a group of divorced fathers whose spouses got custody of their children and who reckon their ex-spouses do not allow them enough access and/or are bringing up their child(ren) badly. UK law has a presumption in favour of the mother having custody.

Concordia..41
09-15-2004, 06:32 AM
Yeah Andrew, just read the story in our local rag. I'm all for stating your case/bringing attention to something you believe in, but I don't see how a protest like that shows these dads in a good light :(

Let's see - I want to show how responsible I am and I deserve more time with/custody of my children. Oh, I know, I'll dress up in a Batman costume and commit a felony or two.

NOT :rolleyes:

John C. Gresham
09-15-2004, 06:59 AM
Note: Robin was left on the ground. There was another man dressed as Robin present, but he chickened out.

km gresham
09-15-2004, 07:03 AM
So Robin is smarter than Batman? Holy Intelligence Swap, Batman! :D :D

martin schulz
09-15-2004, 07:03 AM
But Robin is not Batmans son.

Prehaps those guys should have dressed up as ???

George.
09-15-2004, 08:03 AM
The title of the thread says it all. If three years after 9/11 a fool dressed as Batman can climb Buckingham Palace in broad daylight, then so could a suicide bomber, and all the money spent on "homeland security" is just a pork-barrel placebo.

George.
09-15-2004, 03:52 PM
And just to confirm that "homeland security" IS a joke, today we had the scenes of a bunch of fox-hunting protesters invading Parliament during session, event though there was a huge demonstration full of police going on outside. Remember that next time someone at an airport wants to check your anus in the name of "homeland security"...

imported_Dutch
09-15-2004, 11:17 PM
Remember that next time someone at an airport wants to check your anus in the name of "homeland security"...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I need to be on the next flight to newark

Phil Young
09-15-2004, 11:21 PM
So true. What's the point of confiscating nail clippers when a nicely sharpened hardwood stake will go right through a man. And a metal detector.

John B
09-15-2004, 11:44 PM
according to the reports I heard, Robin "chickened out" because he had a gun pointed at him and was told he would be shot if he went any further.

alteran
09-16-2004, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by John B:
according to the reports I heard, Robin "chickened out" because he had a gun pointed at him and was told he would be shot if he went any further.Robin chickened out?

Fowl pun.

skuthorp
09-16-2004, 12:08 AM
Yeah, Cheep too! ;)

Shang
09-16-2004, 12:13 AM
U.S. News - September 15, 2004
Contractor's Bag Full of Explosives at JFK
September 14, 2004 10:17 PM EDT
NEW YORK - A government contractor brought highly explosive Soviet munitions on his trip home from Afghanistan that were not detected until he arrived at John F. Kennedy airport, federal officials said.
Shaun Marshall, a medic for defense contractor DynCorp, arrived at Kennedy Aug. 19 from the United Arab Emirates. He was trying to board a United Airlines flight home to California when he was pulled aside for a routine security check.
A search of his bags by federal screeners found what police bomb technicians described in an FBI complaint as a Soviet "projectile point detonating fuse" and a "surface-to-air and air-to-air cartridge."
Federal officials said they could not comment Tuesday on the risk that the munitions posed to the flight. But the city police bomb squad determined the munitions were "highly explosive," according to the FBI complaint.
Marshall also had five .50-caliber bullets and four small arms cartridges, which he did not declare to United as required by law, according to the complaint made public Tuesday.
The Transportation Security Administration officers who searched Marshall's bags called police for the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, which operates the airport.
"The fact that TSA located these explosives indicated the system is working," Assistant U.S. Attorney Lawrence Ferazani said.
Marshall, 26, told officers he was importing the munitions, which he believed to be inert, for use in DynCorp training exercises, and Port Authority police released him, federal officials said.
The FBI sent agents to arrest Marshall at his Riverside, Calif., home after the bomb squad analyzed the munitions and DynCorp officials said Marshall had no involvement in its training operations.
A Port Authority spokesman said he could not comment on why Marshall was released.
Marshall was released on bail in California and was expected to fly to New York City to be arraigned in federal court Friday.
He faces charges of placing explosives on an aircraft and trying to place ammunition on a domestic flight without notifying the carrier. He could face 20 years in prison if convicted.
Marshall's attorney declined to comment Tuesday

==========================================
Note several items:
--This clown had already flown half way around the world with a bag full of explosives AND NO ONE NOTICED !
--He'd just flown from Afghanistan, by way of the United Arab Emirates, AND NO ONE CHECKED HIM !
--"...he was pulled aside for a routine security check..." THEY ONLY CAUGHT HIM BY ACCIDENT.
--He lied to the security officers about the explosives he was carrying, SO THEY LET HIM GET ON THE AIRLINER AND FLY AWAY.
--He was all the way home BEFORE THE FBI GOT AROUND TO ARRESTING HIM.
--He's out on bail, but promised to come to New York to be arraigned. "BE A GOOD BOY NOW!"

--"...The fact that TSA located these explosives indicated the system is working..."

I want my fingernail clippers back.

LeeG
09-16-2004, 05:52 AM
wow,,,he won't win the DynCorp t-shirt "I went to Iraq and all I got was some primers"

NormMessinger
09-16-2004, 10:57 AM
Bad as things are in England we can be sure our own security services are on top of things.
Witness: At New York's Kennedy airport today, an individual later discovered to be a
public school teacher was arrested trying to board a flight while in
possession of a ruler, a protractor, a set square, a slide rule, and a
calculator. At a morning press conference, Attorney general John Ashcroft
said he believes the man is a member of the notorious al-gebra movement. He
is being charged by the FBI with carrying weapons of math instruction.
Al-gebra is a fearsome cult," Ashcroft said. "They desire average solutions
by means and extremes, and sometimes go off on tangents in a search of
absolute value. They use secret code names like 'x' and 'y' and refer to
themselves as 'unknowns', but we have determined they belong to a common
denominator of the axis of medieval with coordinates in every country. As
the Greek philanderer Isosceles used to say, 'there are 3 sides to every
triangle'."

When asked to comment on the arrest, President Bush said, "If God had wanted
us to have better weapons of math instruction, He would have given us more
fingers and toes."

Peter Malcolm Jardine
09-16-2004, 11:01 AM