PDA

View Full Version : RUM____Attn: MMD

Dave Fleming
12-01-2002, 12:16 PM
We finally got a bottle of the El Dorado 15 year Rum and several other brands too. So one night after dinner we four SWIMAPAL, S-i-L, B-i-L and me, sat down to do Rum Taste Test.
Appelton
Bacardi Anejo or some such
A rum from Nicaragua, begins with a C ( can't fine my notes right now,sigh)
Myers regular
Myers Special Dark
about 3 others.

The opinion of all of us was that the....Drum Roll Here Please.

The rum from Nicaragua was tops followed at some distance bye the Myers Special and bringing up the far far rear was that El Dorado.
Too sharp, not enough flavour, a big disappointment. The ladies did not care for regular Myers, though SWIMPAL does drink it from time to time. But sorry to say no one really thought much of El Dorado and at $40 USD for the bottle that is going to be some expensive hot buttered rum this winter.
I will get the full correct name of the Nicaraguan stuff and add it to the thread later today.
And so it goes.

mmd
12-01-2002, 01:23 PM
No accounting for taste, huh? redface.gif Sorry it wasn't your type of tipple. How did you serve it - neat, on ice, mixed, etc.? I can certainly understand it seeming a bit 'thin' when in the presence of a bold dark rum like Meyers Special dark, but would have thought it would stand up better to Appleton's, which is a regular on my sippin' list. Also, $40 USD is a bit steep for it - here in high-tax NS it is about $24.50 USD ($37.95 CDN). I've had three bottles so far, and sharpness is not an issue; in fact, it's attraction has been its smoothness. I wonder if there is an issue of proof or batch differences between what I've had and your sample? In any case, I'm sorry that I've led you to an expensive disappointment. :confused:

Dave Fleming
12-01-2002, 01:42 PM
Oh MMD, not to worry!
Tastes differ and it like wine until oyou open the bottle and take that first sip you really don't know what to expect.
We used Brandy Snifters with one for each rum, room temperature.
I do belive we all were looking for a smoother taste and we did not get that.
Rums were tasted in some order of colour so the Myers were all after the El Dorado and the "C" rum from Nicaragua.
Again ya never know till ya try it.
It was an interesting evening though. ;) ;) ;)

Hughman
12-01-2002, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by Dave Fleming:

Appelton
...(and)
Bacardi Anejo or some such
...(and)
A rum from Nicaragua, begins with a C ( can't fine my notes right now,sigh)
...(and)
Myers regular
...(and)
Myers Special Dark
...( and )
about 3 others.

...And so it goes.[/qb]Jeez Dave, it's a flamin' wonder you found the computer! LOL

[ 12-01-2002, 03:36 PM: Message edited by: Hughman ]

Dave Fleming
12-01-2002, 04:34 PM
Well it was a good long night with the 4 of us sitting there sharing a single snifter and saying stuff like, lets try that Appleton again so hurry up and finish that Myers. Just so our stomachs were not too empty we polished off about a pound of nice rich plain butter cookies with it,

Question: can Butter Cookies ( home made ) be ever 'plain'? ;)

Mrleft8
12-01-2002, 09:56 PM
Clearly the "Angostura" rums weren't involved.... Old Oak, Old Oak White, and Spiced Golden Oak, are all superior rums.... Damn inexpensive too....

Tom Galyen
12-01-2002, 10:19 PM
What no Brit ex Navy type is going to hold up the honor of Pusser's finest? I'm truly shocked at this forum.

It only kept the Royal Navy operating for about 300 years.

Tom G.

mmd
12-01-2002, 11:55 PM
Don't worry, Tom G.; Pusser's and Lamb's Navy 151 dark rums get their fair exposure in my glass, too.

ion barnes
12-02-2002, 01:08 AM
There is only room for Lambs dark death in my locker.

Kermit
12-02-2002, 06:51 PM
Whaler's. Hawaiian. Cheapngood. Save the $$$ for singlemalt.