PDA

View Full Version : quick! how do you tune a violin?

JMAC
01-04-2006, 05:58 AM
I need to know what notes to tune it to. I know enough to crank the pegs. I made a challenge that if I played the thing twice a day, 10 minutes a session, after 10 days I'd be substantially better. After day one.....I'm worried!

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
01-04-2006, 06:13 AM
G,D,A,E - Like the Lower four strings of a guitar but in ascending fifths rather than descending fourths.

The equivalent to the "fifth-fret" is where the neck joins the body. (if it were fretted this is where the seventh fret would be).

cs
01-04-2006, 06:44 AM
Just a note. Be careful when tuning a violin. The strings are a little more sensative than a guitar. The will snap easily (so will a cello's). Don't worry about getting it to close with the pegs. Once they are within a note or so you use the fine tuneing pegs down on the tailpiece. Here is a diagram of the voilin showing where I'm talking about.

http://www.violinonline.com/images/violinimage3.gif

Chad

TomF
01-04-2006, 11:37 AM
What Chad said.

Since the strings can break ... and are relatively spendy ... always tune "up" to pitch, rather than "down." Loosen the peg, then bring the note up to approximate pitch slowly, and do the final tuning with your fine tuners.

You can tune by "harmonics" to tell when the strings are exactly on: lightly touch the E string halfway along its length, and you'll get a high E pitch. Lightly touch the A string where you'd play E (5th full tone up), and it should play the same E harmonic as the one on the E string. Fiddle with the fine tuner on the A string 'till the harmonics match. Then follow the same process for the lower strings.

t.

High C
01-04-2006, 11:39 AM
They tune those things? ;) :D
(sometimes I wonder ) :eek:

TomF
01-04-2006, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by High C:
(sometimes I wonder ) :eek: There's a reason I started my daughter on cello, not violin. :D Out-of-tune practicing on a cello doesn't make me want jump off bridges holding my ears.

[ 01-04-2006, 11:50 AM: Message edited by: TomF ]

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
01-04-2006, 11:54 AM
(sometimes I wonder ) :eek: Violin is the fancy name.

A.K.A. MOPA: Manually Operated Pitch Approximator.

cs
01-04-2006, 12:02 PM
Christmas Day, the kid got her new cello and was wanting to play. SWMBO decided to take the new fangle tuner the kid got and tune the cello. PING! time to buy a new A string. It was 2 days later before someone was open to replace the string and tune it for us. He repleaced the string for saying "You didn't mean to break the string."

BTW a set of cello strings at his store is $75, which I understand is a real good price.

Chad

TomF
01-05-2006, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by cs:
BTW a set of cello strings at his store is $75, which I understand is a real good price.

ChadA good price indeed, even for a set of beginner's strings. I'll pay about double that when I replace what's on my daughter's cello, but the quality I'm putting on is more for my benefit than hers... As I no longer have a cello of my own, I "borrow" hers a fair bit. ;)

JMAC
01-05-2006, 09:36 AM
I'm beginning day three of 10 minutes a day, twice a day, on the fiddle. I have improved and am getting closer to finding the notes. Someone who saw me play "Old Joe Clark" horrifically when I made the challenge said I need rosin for the bow. Hopefully I can get to a music store today. The only problem with my challenge so far is that I want to play the thing more than the time I stated.

JMAC
01-05-2006, 06:40 PM
Is the shoulder rest a standard or is it just for wimps? I have a hard time getting my hand back down the neck if I bring it up, the violin wants to come with it. If any of you players can share some basic tricks of the trade, I'd love to hear them. I've been playing guitar for 40 years so I have a good understanding of fingers on a fretboard....but...

Meerkat
01-05-2006, 06:42 PM
(sometimes I wonder ) :eek: I thought you just pulled a cat's tail until the violin resonated and it was then in tune... ;)

Katherine
01-05-2006, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by Meerkat:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by High C:
(sometimes I wonder ) :eek: I thought you just pulled a cat's tail until the violin resonated and it was then in tune... ;) </font>[/QUOTE]Siamese or English Tabby?

Meerkat
01-05-2006, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by Katherine:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Meerkat:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by High C:
(sometimes I wonder ) :eek: I thought you just pulled a cat's tail until the violin resonated and it was then in tune... ;) </font>[/QUOTE]Siamese or English Tabby?</font>[/QUOTE]You DON'T pull a siameseses tail if you value your skin at all!

JMAC
01-05-2006, 07:34 PM
Jeez, go flirt on some other post...the violin is a seeeerious instrument!