PDA

View Full Version : Fine Fishing quote

Chris Coose
01-17-2006, 12:56 PM
"Fishing is a delusion entirely surrounded by liars in old clothing".

Sorry, but I have forgotten the author.

cedar savage
01-17-2006, 01:07 PM
"I am not against golf, since I cannot but suspect it keeps armies of the unworthy from discovering trout..." ~Paul O'Neil

Popeye
01-17-2006, 01:32 PM
"There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot."

--Stephen Wright

ccmanuals
01-17-2006, 01:44 PM
"There is peace in a Larranaga, there's calm in Henry Clay, And a woman is only a woman, but a good cigar is a smoke."

Well, you need a fine cigar when your fishing.

cedar savage
01-17-2006, 02:01 PM
"I look into ... my fly box, and think about all the elements I should consider in choosing the perfect fly: water temperature, what stage of development the bugs are in, what the fish are eating right now. Then I remember what a guide told me: 'Ninety percent of what a trout eats is brown and fuzzy and about five-eighths of an inch long.'"
-- Allison Moir, "Love the Man, Love the Fly Rod", in A Different Angle: Fly Fishing Stories by Women

Popeye
01-17-2006, 02:15 PM
"There's no taking trout with dry breeches."

-Cervantes, Don Quixote

cedar savage
01-17-2006, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by popeye:

-Cervantes, Don QuixoteI've tried. :D

dmede
01-17-2006, 02:20 PM
"I fish, therefore I don't golf"
-Billy Connolly

uncas
01-17-2006, 02:22 PM
I fish and go hungry....annon

Memphis Mike
01-17-2006, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by uncas:
I fish and go hungry....annonThat's because you use all the wrong bait. :rolleyes: :D You want my doughball recipe?

uncas
01-17-2006, 02:30 PM
No thanks...caught the catfish on chiclen...ran outta bacon...but they tasted like....like...something I stepped in....would

Fitz
01-17-2006, 02:32 PM
"Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.

I am haunted by waters."

Norman Maclean

Memphis Mike
01-17-2006, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by uncas:
No thanks...caught the catfish on chiclen...ran outta bacon...but they tasted like....like...something I stepped in....wouldWell good. I wasn't gonna give it to ya anyway. It's a secret. Right outa the hills of WV.

BTW, what's chiclen? :confused: Is that like those little fuzzy dingle berries ya get from wearin a kilt?

[ 01-17-2006, 02:40 PM: Message edited by: Memphis Mike ]

Karl A. Hilbert
01-17-2006, 03:58 PM
I got a stinkbait recipe from an old timer in Randolph County, WV that involved pig brains -
and lots of them.

I done et so free o' fish, my stommick rises and falls with the tide.

(For the State of Florida, U.S. public relief program (1935-1943). Florida: A Guide to the Southernmost State (The WPA Guide to Florida), p. 128, in "Folklore," Oxford University Press (1939). Rural saying.)

Meerkat
01-17-2006, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by cedar savage:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by popeye:

-Cervantes, Don QuixoteI've tried. :D </font>[/QUOTE]I have succeded, repeatedly! tongue.gif

Hal Forsen
01-17-2006, 06:39 PM
"I fish, therefore I don't golf"
-Billy Connolly
Oh man I love that one. I can just hear it in the sweet Glaswegian brogue. SWMBO and I took in one of Billy's standup shows several years back and I laughed so hard my face hurt for a week.

Here's another I like,

I never lost a little fish-yes, I am free to say
It always was the biggest fish I caught that got away.
Eugene Field

HF

RichKrough
01-17-2006, 11:44 PM
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day."

Roger Stouff
01-18-2006, 03:01 PM
I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful, and hate the environs where crowds of people are found, which are invariably ugly; because of all the television commercials, cocktail parties, and assorted social posturing I thus escape; because, in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience; because I suspect that men are going along this way for the last time, and I for one don't want to waste the trip; because mercifully there are no telephones on trout waters; because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness; because bourbon out of an old tin cup always tastes better out there; because maybe one day I will catch a mermaid; and, finally, not because I regard fishing as being so terribly important but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant - and not nearly so much fun.
- Robert Traver, 1964 (Judge John Voelker, 1903-1993)

uncas
01-18-2006, 03:22 PM
Now...a few responses from the fish...
Fishing sucks.....
It's entrapment.....
We think that all humans, bears, otters, fish lovers should become vegetarians.
:D

Paul Pless
01-18-2006, 03:31 PM
another quote from the fish:

Thanks for the free bacon, baconboy.

uncas
01-18-2006, 03:33 PM
:D :D :D ..Paul
Leftover pork coming outta congress...what can I say... ;)

Ron Williamson
01-19-2006, 06:19 AM
"Yeah,some days,it's bad...most days it's worse."
Lynn Fordham,retired Lake Huron commercial fisherman
R

Garrett Lowell
01-19-2006, 06:50 AM
Originally posted by popeye:
"There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot."

--Stephen WrightI'm on the "idiot" side of that line.

uncas
01-19-2006, 06:53 AM
I bwet that line is longer...I'm right behind you.... :D

uncas
01-19-2006, 07:09 AM
Time is but a stream I go a-fishing in. Its thin current slides away, but eternity remains..Thoreau

Listen to the sound of the river and you will get a trout...Irish proverb

It is not a fish until it is on the bank..Irish proverb

uncas
01-19-2006, 07:16 AM
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." -Doug Larsen

"Fly-fishing is the most fun you can have standing up." -Arnold Gingrich, 1969

"When you fish with a flie, if it be possible, let no part of your line touch the water, but your flie only." -Isaak Walton

"To him, all good things, trout as well as eternal salvation, come by grace and grace comes by art and art does not come easy." -Norman Maclean, A River Runs Through It, 1976

"O, sir, doubt not that Angling is an art; is it not an art to deceive a trout with an artificial fly?" -Isaak Walton

"Here comes the trout that must be caught with tickling." -William Shakespeare Twelfth Night Act II Scene 1 Line 2

"If fishing is like religion, then flyfishing is high church." -Tom Brokaw

"If fishing is interfering with your business, give up your business." -Alfred W. Miller

"Calling Fly Fishing a hobby is like calling Brain Surgery a job." -Paul Schullery

"The difference between fly fishers and worm dunkers is the quality of their excuses." -Anonymous

"Some go to church and think about fishing, others go fishing and think about God." -Tony Blake

"The two best times to fish is when it's rainin' and when it ain't." -Patrick F MacManus

"Angling may be said to be so like the mathematics, that it can never be fully learnt." -Izaak Walton 1653

"I am not against golf, since I cannot but suspect it keeps armies of the unworthy from discovering trout." -Paul O'Neil

"In my family, there was no clear division between religion and fly fishing." -Norman Maclean, A River Runs Through It, 1976

"Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are made for wise men to contemplate." -Izaac Walton

I'm "quotationed" out...the fly is dead and the trout got away...

[ 01-19-2006, 07:34 AM: Message edited by: uncas ]

uncas
01-19-2006, 07:42 AM
Well...this spelling error wasn't my fault this time.... :D

Art Read
01-19-2006, 09:38 AM
LOVED those books, Donn! "The Modified Stationary Panic"! LOL! Don't read 'em in a crowded room, though. People will get annoyed at your frequent, spontanious bursts of laughter... (And if you're ever in a Pacific Northwest watering hole, alone, with a "rough" crowd, just pull out a copy of one of his books to read and you'll suddenly have a roomfull of "lifelong" pals sharing fishing tales with you! ;) )

[ 01-19-2006, 09:42 AM: Message edited by: Art Read ]