PDA

View Full Version : Corrosive Politics 09/16/04

JimD
09-16-2004, 01:27 PM
Poultice Corrosion

When dirt and other debris accumulate in certain metallic areas, a unique highly corrosive environment can be created. Example areas on automobiles include the hem flange within doors, wheel wells, and inside frames. These areas remain wet almost continuously with a highly corrosive liquid due to the moisture entrapment effect of the poultice. The aggravation caused by deicing salts can be quite serious in these areas due to wet dry cycling and accumulation that can reach saturation. The stationary electrolyte can become increasingly acidic in this particular form of crevice corrosion. A detailed analysis of poultices collected on fifty cars driven in four major North American cities has revealed the presence of large quantities of ions such as sodium, calcium, sulfate and chloride.

Average composition of poultice (ppm) found in fifty cars

Chloride
Sulfate
Calcium
Sodium

Boston

Dallas

Detroit

Montreal

In these cities, sodium, calcium, and chloride deposit in poultices through road deicing and dust control practices. Sulfate can be attributed to acid deposition commonly associated with pollution.

Er, wait a minute, I think that might have just been a typo

Kev Smyth
09-16-2004, 01:36 PM
Corrosive Poultry? Does this explain why chicken wire has to be galvanized? :confused: tongue.gif

JimD
09-16-2004, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by Kev Smyth:
Corrosive Poultry? Does this explain why chicken wire has to be galvanized? :confused: tongue.gif That's right, Kev. If it wasn't for the zinc coating chicken wire wouldn't last six months. Check this out from the above article:

In these cities, sodium, calcium, and chloride deposit in poultry through road deicing and dust control practices. Sulfate can be attributed to acid deposition commonly associated with poultry

B_B
09-16-2004, 09:09 PM
Jimmy D,
There really is no place called 'Turner Valley, Alberta' is there?

That aside - the most insiduous thing happened to me when I lived in Calgary (is that anywhere near 'Turner Valley'?). The bolts where the seats of my car were attached to the belly pan (good lordy, I hope I have my terminology right) were constantly coated in the same muck as accumulates on the nobby things (poles?) of my battery - filthy white fluffy stuff. Ick.

Does this have anything to do with your thread?

Most appreciate any viable input.... :D

Edited to add:
I noticed this whilst eating KFC (the fast food formerly known as 'Kentucky FRIED Chicken' or 'The Colonels White Meat' - thus the poultry segue... tongue.gif

[ 09-16-2004, 10:12 PM: Message edited by: Braam Berrub ]

Peter Malcolm Jardine
09-16-2004, 09:20 PM
Chickens... They never did know how to take care of their cars. :D

JimD
09-17-2004, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by Braam Berrub:
Jimmy D,
There really is no place called 'Turner Valley, Alberta' is there?

That aside - the most insiduous thing happened to me when I lived in Calgary (is that anywhere near 'Turner Valley'?). The bolts where the seats of my car were attached to the belly pan (good lordy, I hope I have my terminology right) were constantly coated in the same muck as accumulates on the nobby things (poles?) of my battery - filthy white fluffy stuff. Ick.

Does this have anything to do with your thread?

Most appreciate any viable input.... :D

Edited to add:
I noticed this whilst eating KFC (the fast food formerly known as 'Kentucky FRIED Chicken' or 'The Colonels White Meat' - thus the poultry segue... tongue.gif Braam, yer darn right there's a place called Turner Valley, about 65 Ks south of Calgary. Its not very big but we have two gas stations although no grocery store. Fortunately groceries can be found in nearby Black Diamond :D

And yes, I hate to be the one to break it to you but from your description your vehicle was experiencing all the classic symptoms of poultry corrosion. Did you ever visit a poultry farm with that vehicle? Its highly contageous.

Ron Williamson
09-17-2004, 11:41 AM
My sister used to live in Okotoks(Oak-ah-tokes)(or was it High River?),but hadda move back to Cowtown,cuz she couldn't stand the commute.
She never had no poultry neither.
R

JimD
09-17-2004, 12:01 PM
Okotoks is Gotham city compared to Turner Valley, or TV as well like to call it. We go there for specialty items only available at Walmart :D